What's new

Star Trek: Picard - Season One - CBS All Access - starring Patrick Stewart (1 Viewer)

tempest21

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
I don't think this will be a one and done season. CBS, Viacoom, Paramount ... who knows what studio is in charge these days, will likely continue this series on, as long as Patrick Stewart is up for it. The problem is that these big studios always want to have multiple seasons to squeeze more life out of their shows. Honestly? I prefer how the Japanese produce their television shows, whether it's live action, anime, film or television shows ... there is a definite ending to what they are producing. CBS and Paramount, they suck as much as they can out of it before the ratings start to drop.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Sigh... before we start assigning negative values to CBS, why don’t we, you know, take it on faith when Stewart said that there was a three year idea that there would be, you know, a three year idea. Maybe let’s give them a chance to start executing that plan before we line up to execute them?

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I'm just shocked that in all this time with CBS All Access, that they didn't produce a Star Trek series not previously made before. I think a Mirror Universe Star Trek series would have been better to produce. Since the most that we ever get is an episode here and there in various Star Trek shows.
With regards to the Mirror Universe, less is probably more in this case -- while I loved DSC's first-season arc there, it was the most we'd ever gotten in terms of consecutive episodes, and better to leave the fans wanting more than tiring out the concept (though I will admit that the Mirror Georgiou-spinoff does have potential). But, happy to be proven wrong here, too -- been enjoying Evil Michelle Yeoh™ on the show so far, and am intrigued to see where she ends up following events in the 33rd Century.

So they're going to drag it out. Good to know.
The Picard series was ALWAYS conceived of as a multi-season thing right from the start, as creator Kirsten Beyer and others confirmed back in the summer of 2018 following the announcement. Not sure why people are suddenly thinking this was only intended to be a "one-and-done"-type show.

Last edited:

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
Sigh... before we start assigning negative values to CBS, why don’t we, you know, take it on faith when Stewart said that there was a three year idea that there would be, you know, a three year idea. Maybe let’s give them a chance to start executing that plan before we line up to execute them?

That doesn't appear to be popular anymore, its de regueur to overreact without waiting to see if there is any justification for it.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
With regards to the Mirror Universe, less is probably more in this case -- while I loved DSC's first-season arc there, it was the most we'd ever gotten in terms of consecutive episodes, and better to leave the fans wanting more than tiring out the concept (though I will admit that the Mirror Georgiou-spinoff does have potential). But, happy to be proven wrong here, too -- been enjoying Evil Michelle Yeoh™ on the show so far, and am intrigued to see where she ends up following events in the 33rd Century.

The Picard series was ALWAYS conceived of as a multi-season thing right from the start, as creator Kirsten Beyer and others confirmed back in the summer of 2018 following the announcement. Not sure why people are suddenly thinking this was only intended to be a "one-and-done"-type show.

1) Agreed. While mirror universe episodes are nice, its in rarity. Between DS9 and Discovery, its time for a cooling off period with mirror universe episodes.

2) Not paying attention, most likely.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
1) Agreed. While mirror universe episodes are nice, its in rarity. Between DS9 and Discovery, its time for a cooling off period with mirror universe episodes.

I agree, but let's also be real. DS9 had a total of five MU episodes; Enterprise has 2. The last from DS9 is over 20 years old.

Discovery has seven total...which is just two less than all the other six series..combined. If nothing else, Discovery ran it into the ground, not DS9.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
New Super Bowl trailer:

Gonna spoilerize from here on out:

We saw these clips in the NYCC trailer that came out during the summer, but now it's pretty clear what's happening in this screenshot -- it's the renegade "synth" attack on Mars that we get our first taste of in this latest Short Treks episode:

oo6O3EK.jpg

And I'm guessing the synths who attack Mars are very likely related to the ones briefly visible in both the NYCC and Super Bowl trailers:

eR79QHo.jpg

Speculation is that their manufacture ties into both Data and B-4 somehow, Soong-type android designs and A.I.s perhaps being "repurposed" by a suddenly-less-than-ethical Starfleet for whatever reason in the aftermath of the Dominion War (Alison Pill plays a cyberneticist in the TV series, and shares scenes with Stewart examining the stored-away B-4):

VOpgMSm.jpg

Also, we know from the current Picard: Countdown comic series that in 2384, Admiral Picard orders Geordi LaForge to commence construction of a massive fleet at Utopia Planitia in order to evacuate the Romulan Empire prior to the detonation of the 2387 supernova, so it looks like the synth-attack could be aimed at disrupting this goal, leading to the destruction of Romulus, Spock Prime's deployment of the red matter, his and Nero's disapprarance, and Picard eventually taking command of a different rescue-armada altogether, resulting in his disillusionment and Starfleet-resignation afterwards.

Can't believe only 12 days to go now.

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Yes, the Children of Mars short was nicely done. And regarding the
"synth attacks," I wonder if Starfleet didn't heed Picard's warning in The Measure of Man and used synthetic people to make starships and in general used them as "disposable people." If AI creatures had become dangerous, that could be why B4 is shut down and in a drawer in pieces in the trailer. Perhaps the androids were used to build starships to evacuate Romulus.

Either way, I am sufficiently intrigued.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Yes, the Children of Mars short was nicely done. And regarding the
"synth attacks," I wonder if Starfleet didn't heed Picard's warning in The Measure of Man and used synthetic people to make starships and in general used them as "disposable people." If AI creatures had become dangerous, that could be why B4 is shut down and in a drawer in pieces in the trailer. Perhaps the androids were used to build starships to evacuate Romulus.

Either way, I am sufficiently intrigued.
The notion of the synths being a purposely-designed artificial slave-labor "race" who possibly rebel against the Federation is a great one -- this would set up some juicy ethical and moral debates in the new TV show (not to mention carrying shades of Ronald D. Moore's BSG-reboot), and it would be interesting to see if Bruce Maddox's abandoned plans eventually bear unwelcome fruit for humanity.

36ypkW4.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks