What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

New restoration of THE GODFATHER heading to DVD soon? (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have been hearing "rumors" for the past year that THE GODFATHER
was undergoing major restoration for a (possible) new theatrical
release and then on to DVD and (possibly) HD-DVD/Blu-Ray.

Those rumors seem to have been solidified by a post in this blog

You need to go down about 11 or more posts to read the exact
information being posted, but it shouldn't be difficult to locate the
information pertaining to Coppola.

All I can say is that it looks very promising that we will be hearing
some news about this film in the very near future.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Well, that's good news to hear. I recently realized that there's no good reason that I don't own The Godfather films and started looking to purchase the old set. It's relatively inexpensive, but if a new set's coming I may as well wait for it. Just hope it isn't too expensive. My wallets already looks like it'll be taking a hurting this fall/winter. :)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I know it's the red-headed step-child of the saga, but I hope that The Godfather Part III is being restored as well, as it was the one that had the poorest transfer on the 2001 DVD release.

Kris Z.

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds terrific! I also haven't gotten around to buying the Godfather movies yet so this is a very welcome piece of news.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
The current box set was selling last year over the holidays for an astonishing $40 CAN. I almost picked it up, but had to assume that at that price, surely something greater was on the way.

Hopefully Parts I and II are offered together in a nice looking package, without having to buy the third movie.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
wow really interesting news.

seems like Coppola is very busy getting his old films out like Dracula.

Cannot wait for this

Haden

Supporting Actor
I guess it's too much for me to hope that we'd finally get a release of the "Novel for Television" chronological re-edit of GF 1 and 2 together? With the remastering of both films, this seems like a perfect opportunity to ALSO remaster all the deleted scenes and offer the Novel version on DVD either as its own seperate release or with seamless branching.

The recent announcement of the new Close Encounters special edition featuring all 3 versions of that film through seamless branching reminded me that Paramount could potentially offer the Saga and/or Novel versions of Godfather in a new DVD set too.

Haden

Supporting Actor

Well then, you've already got your preferred version on DVD, so why would you *hope* that the rest of us don't get what we want too? Opinions differ on the matter, and many GF fans WANT the Novel and/or Saga versions on DVD. They were released on VHS and laserdisc, so many of us would like to see them released on DVD too. Don't be so quick to shoot that idea down just because it's not your personal preference.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
I would be very surprised if "Godfather III' needed any true restoration work as it is a much younger film than the first two and was produced in an era in which film stocks were significantly more stable than certain previous periods in color film-stock. And since it was not nearly as popular, it would never have been subjected to the amount of printing and use as the first two installments.

Any deficiencies in the video transfer can probably be traced to other links in the transfer chain. It's quite possible to make a lousy transfer from mint-condition film elements.

Thomas J.

Stunt Coordinator
I alluded to this a few months back.

And you do know which individual is restoring this, right? Take a guess...yep.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I'd love to see the "Novel for Television" version released on DVD. But I can understand if it isn't. It'd be something of a logistical nightmare to even attempt to do it with seamless branching at least on standard definition. Consider the current DVD configuration. One disc for The Godfather and two discs for The Godfather Part II. The Godfather would be easy enough provided there's enough space for the film and the new content. But The Godfather Part II features the young Vito and Michael storylines intercut with each other and split over two discs as well. So in order to watch the Chronological version of the movie with extra footage, you'd need to insert the first disc of The Godfather Part II and play it for about 45 minutes. Then you'd need to switch to the second disc and play it for maybe another 45 minutes. Then switch to The Godfather disc. And then switch over to the first disc of The Godfather Part II again and then to the second again. They could probably handle this on HD (heck, they could probably put the whole "Novel for Television on one disc if they wanted to). Even if they included it without seamless, it'd probably need to be spread over three discs or so and this'd drive up the price of whatever set it was included in. Otherwise, maybe they could release it on its own.

But anyway, I'd love to see the "Novel for Television" version get a release. Otherwise, hopefully they restore the deleted footage and include every last second in the supplements.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I was there too. Coppola showed up two weeks ago, Monday August 6th, after a screening of Godfather III at the Academy's Samuel Goldwyn theater. He didn't arrive until about an hour into a six person q and a with a variety of people in or attached to the film. He said it was a bit surreal to be there after we've been watching part III because he had just come from the first viewing of the new restoration of Part I, I think he said 'it looks incredible.'

He also mentioned that the negative was basically going to dissolve, or very close to complete loss and it would have cost millions of dollars to restore. paramount was not going to foot the bill for it (editorial comment: presumably content with their digital masters rather than making a full film restoration, but that's my own biased speculation and has nothing at all do with what he actually said), but that after Paramount bought Dreamworks Spielberg himself made sure they knew they had to restore the Godfather--and the restoration went forward. There was absolutely no mention of a DVD release.

But like the poster in that thread, I'm sure they'll want to capitalize on their restoration with a new DVD and HD release within the next year or two. I would also think it's likely that they may try to distribute new prints around the country, much like was done for Lawrence of Arabia in 2002. I think the Godfather could actually do well for a wide re-release as well, but you keep it a special event if its more limited.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
This is just great news. All Godfather-films should be remastered. The older releases are good, but not great, IMO. Seeing these in a pristine form via HD is a dream come true.. This trilogy would sell the whole HD-concept.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yashavi46
Recent bookmarks