What's new

New Playstation on the way... not the PS3 (1 Viewer)

paul h

Supporting Actor
http://www.computerandvideogames.com

Sounds a bit strange but maybe it's true..

"11:07 Sony Computer Entertainment has announced a brand new model PlayStation for release in Japan by the end of 2003. The hardware, billed by Sony as "PSX", will release with a DVD writer, hard drive and TV tuner, forming a comprehensive home entertainment system.
But despite knee-jerk reports from other sites, this is not the first details on PS3, with a Sony Europe spokesperson confirming to us a few moments ago: "This new model features exactly the same chipset as PlayStation 2".

According to sources, PlayStation 3 itself is not set to ship until late 2005, and with Microsoft repeatedly asserting Xbox 2 will be first to the market in the next generation of hardware, industry watchers are alerady branding PSX nothing more than a "filler" product to help Sony remain competitive with the rapidly increasing success of Xbox.

But having recently posted its biggest losses for almost a decade, while issuing further profit warnings, this new hardware model is likely to provide a further financial hit to the company as it works to get its PSP handheld console and PS3 to the market.

And considering the features built into PSX, pricing will obviously be a massive issue for the console, although Sony has currently made no announcement regarding this.

The PSX is unlikely to release in the US and Europe until deep into 2004, which will surely have a knock-on effect on Sony's intended release date for PS3. And this could lead to the rather startling outcome of Sony entering the next-gen race on the back foot. Microsoft will doubtless be viewing this move with interest, to say the least, but a spokesperson for the company was unavailable for comment at the time of writing.

We'll keep you posted on all the latest developments."

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
I have no idea what to think of this, but it appears to be true.

It's at the top of slashdot.org, as well as on Zdnet.co.jp

Here's a PDF about the "new" PS2.

PSX - Redux

Edit: Upon thinking about it more, if they allow you to record HDTV. Then I'm all over it. :) 120GB HDD might be enough to handle that. If it's just a plain TIVO-type though, I'll pass.

Glen

paul h

Supporting Actor
Thats a seriously nice looking piece of kit. Its a cool idea but i just wonder if it's too late in the game now, with the next batch on consoles 2'ish years away..

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
I wonder how the tv-recording feature will work. Will there be an online programming guide? A monthly fee? Can you record more than one program at once? I've been looking for another tv recorder; I'll get this if the price is right.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I think the overall look of the box itself is really cool, slot loading and silver. Should have kept the old design and used this new one for PS3.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Now I'm really confused! In GameDaily's report on the PSX they talk about another "upgraded" PS2, as well. I'm assuming this is the one that prompted the PS2 price cut and NOT the PSX.

Sony previously announced another reworked PS2 in the works earleir this year, due out this fall and containing a series of upgrades, including the ability to recognize recorded media and progressive scan support for DVD playback. The new PS2 will be introduced in a bundle with the system’s online adapter for $199.99.
So, that means in the end, Sony will have produced three products based on the original PS2 chip-set.

I guess it's safe to assume that we won't be getting all of this PSX goodness for under $200, huh?

Gary

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Wow, nice going Sony. I don't really know what to make of this other than if this is the PS2.5, I can't wait to see what the Xbox2 and PS3 bring to the table. Maybe they will make coffee as well as play games ;)

Bryan_ZZ

Stunt Coordinator
It is exciting to see the bar continually raised with new technology! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: If this is "filler", next generation machines will be pretty exciting.

Bryan

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
They really should be marketing this as a PSTiVo or a PS2.5, since it's not much more than just that. Oh well, good luck to them.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
I really love the looks of it. But there is not a chance I will buy it. It is just not compelling enough for me to get it. I'll wait until PS3.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I found this interesting:

Old technology poised as a high-end entertainment system? Uh, ok. But if the PSX and PS3 are being marketed by 2 divisions to different markets, the short span between releases kinda makes sense.

Besides, it'll be really funny when someone buys it as a "high-end entertainment system", only to find out that they won't be able to play the current games when the PS3 is out. :D

-Dave

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
WTF? Can they really be so stupid as to call it the "PSX"? Surely that won't be the final name. I know that "PSX" was never the official name of the original Playstation, but surely Sony is aware that "PSX" was indeed the most common abbreviation for the system among gamers. This can only lead to confusion. Why not call it the PS2X? Surely this name won't stick, someone over at Sony must be able to see the problem! As someone on a mailing list I'm on put it, "That will be great for eBay! I can sell my PSX for $150! Just list it as a 'grey Sony PSX'. LOL!!!!".

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Well it seems nice, but it is rather pointless to purchase. As only the Tivo feature seems good to me, but since my PS2 is working just fine, I wouldn't need to get rid of it.

paul h

Supporting Actor
More info just posted on computerandvideogames:

"19:31 Sony Computer Entertainment shocked the world earlier today with the revelation of a flashy successor to its current PlayStation 2 unit. Named "PSX," the stylish machine contains a PS2 chipset, hard drive, DVD writer and TV tuner as standard, all contained in a blinding white case, making it one of the most desirable home entertainment systems we've ever laid eyes on.
And we stress home entertainments system here. "We see PSX as a high-end entertainment system," a spokesperson for Sony Europe told us earlier today. "We believe it's something of a luxury item that people will want to have alongside thir Sony TV sets and so on."

Rather than replacing the PS2 outright, as PSone did with original PlayStation, PSX will not be viewed as a games console, more a media hub opening up a wealth of possibilities. Indeed, considering the potential here (which we'll come onto in a minute), videogaming might well end up as something of a secondary function.

This is further supported by the fact that Sony Computer Entertainment will not be handling the product itself: "This as a high-end entertainment system for consumers," Sony Europe told us. "In fact, the product will be handled by our Consumer Electronics division and not Sony Computer Entertainment."

As a result, PSX is almost certain to weigh in at a hefty price, and, considering its in-built features, a conservative estimate looks to be around the £500 mark. Ouch. It comes as no surprise the, that: "There's no information on shipment at present, but we don't expect it to ship in numbers nearly as large as PS2."

However, Sony PR refused to be drawn on pricing, stating: "Obviously we'd all like to know a price point for the system, but unfortunately there's no information on this at present."

In terms of release, the machine will hit Japan first, "shipping by the end of this fiscal year," according to the spokesperson, which means by March 2004. And, unlike the factually inept information offered by other sites, we were told that Sony would: "Begin planning for the release of PSX in Europe at the start of the next fiscal year [beginning March 2004]," with the system due to launch by the end of it. Which could mean we receive it as late as Spring 2005.

But the real excitement surrounding PSX has surfaced after fastidious examination of pictures and information released by Sony Japan earlier today. The basic facts are that PSX comes complete with a whopping 120Gig hard drive and supports all major DVD formats with a DVD burner.

All ports and sockets are found to the rear of the system, including - unusually - joypad ports, but this is likely an aesthetic decision, and Sony may even ship it with a matching wireless controller of some sort.

But add the recently announced PSP [PlayStation Portable] handheld unit into the equation, and a whole world of possibilities opens up. Just imagine recording a TV program onto the PSX hard drive, then transferring onto PSP to view as you travel. Did somebody mention games?

Whereas the UMD storage used by PSP is not rewritable, Sony will likely make use of memory sticks to transfer information between units. Take a look at the images and you'll see this seems to be a key aspect of Sony's strategy.

But will PSX - already bearing a "filler" label from certain quarters - continue Sony's success in the field, or is it merely the sign of a company hastily changing its strategy to compete with that of its nearest rival, as one of the fiercest battles in technological history beckons? Take a seat and get the popcorn in. This is one you won't want to miss out on."

Allen_Appel

Second Unit
Okay, with this latest information, color me disappointed. I think Sony is off the mark if their target audience is someone looking for a high-end Tivo-like device and not a gamer looking to upgrade his current system. Like it or not, to most people videogames are for kids, and I don't think buyers of luxury a/v equipment want a toy in their entertainment system. It's even still called a Playstation! And for, what, $600? No thanks. The DVD burner, hard drive and tv tuner may be housed in a more attractive package, but they're still just add-ons more commonly already found in computers, for less money. Makes me wonder what they intend to charge for the PS3. I think we're at a consumer acceptance level of around $200, certainly no more than $300.

Why is it that the Japanese market sees Sony products so much earlier than the US/Europe? I realize they are a Japan-based company, but surely they make the most money from US sales. If the PSX (good points about the name, Aaron) debuts in Japan at such close proximity to the release date of the PS3, they're going to lose a lot of potential sales of the new platform.

The PS3 is scheduled to debut in 2005-6. I hope Sony isn't intending to delay the US/European launch until after the Japanese one, to build some sort of hype. Those days are over. If they do, they will surely lose the console war. I'm more inclined to buy a PS3 before the Xbox2, but I'm an impulse buyer with limits on my disposable income and I'm not going to wait for Sony to decide I'm a worthy customer base while available Xbox2's mock me from the shelves.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I would love one of these, were the price right. We all know, though, that these things will cost a fortune. I smell failure.

I do still think that the PSP has the potential to revolutionize handheld gaming.

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
I really don't think the PSP will do that.

They're talking about recording videos with it and playing back movies on it. It already seems like they're gearing the PSP to be a multifunction device that will play games.

I guess it just depends on what they're price point is. If they're looking to sell me games for a portable system for $50 bucks... I'm not so sure I'd be up for that.

Glen

Gary->dee

Screenwriter

This thing looks and sounds awesome! No complaints here. I think it'll initially sell for between $300-$400. I might be tempted to upgrade to the PSX because I have a feeling the PS3 isn't going to be available in the U.S. until 2005.

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
If they're looking to sell me games for a portable system for $50 bucks... I'm not so sure I'd be up for that.
Are you OK with Nintendo selling you portable games for $30 that you played over a decade ago? I'm ready for a new serious player in the handheld market. I'm sick of the Gameboy.

KevinRB

Stunt Coordinator
It's expected to make the US debut in fall of 2004, with PS3 coming in 2005? I assume PS3 will have all the features of PSX, plus more. I'll wait the extra year for PS3...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks