What's new

New names in a republican Britain (1 Viewer)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I thought that the Governor-General of Australia was an Australian who was "recommended" to HMQ by the Australian P.M.? or do I have that wrong?
I am probably going to get out of my depth pretty rapidly here (and I began my first post with tongue very firmly in cheek). Still:
Unlike the UK, Australia has a written constitution. The Constitution only states that (sort of a quote) …Governor-General appointed by the Queen shall be Her Majesty’s representative in the Commonwealth … powers and functions of the Queen as Her Majesty may be pleased to assign… There is some other language about powers held as written in the constitution.
But of course in practice the Prime Minister (of Australia) appoints the Governor-General. Some Prime Ministers consult with their senior party members, though the last few (Keating, Howard and Hawke) did not. Of course technically the appointment is made by the Queen based on advice to Her Majesty.
There is no requirement for the Governor-General to be an Australian and indeed many (all of the early ones) have not been.
In fact, originally appointments were made in the UK. Maybe someone from Oz will chime in, but if I recall correctly there was some considerable controversy as to the first Australian, Governor-General (whose name I’ve forgotten, if I ever knew) who was appointed in the 30s(?). This (I think) led to appointments being made from Australia.
The Governor-General has some other powers relating to legislation (rarely used, especially in the last 50 years). The last notable cases were when a tax bill and a veteran’s bill of entitlements were returned to parliament with ‘suggested’ amendments in the mid-80s.
I think that the Governor-General has some titular (and maybe real) duties involving defense and the armed forces, but I really can’t dredge these up.
When I lived in Australia, there was considerable spin by all parties as to the role of the Queen and Governor-General, due to the forthcoming referendum on becoming a Republic. I feel unable to comment on those comments due to forum policies.
Of course this brief lesson on the Head of State has been written by a ‘septic’ and should be treated accordingly. :D

AaronNWilson

Second Unit
Well In Northern Ireland the name Royal Ulster Constabulary has already been lost which has been the name since like 1921. This is pretty disappoint as it was replaced with the rather generic name Northern Ireland Police Force :frowning:.

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
When I lived in Australia, there was considerable spin by all parties as to the role of the Queen and Governor-General, due to the forthcoming referendum on becoming a Republic.
The matter of the converting the whole ruling-infrastructure of a Commonwealth country would be such a massive undertaking, I can imagine that the Queen would take a more active role. Especially since it involves her 'leaving' completely, and is not just some annual formal occasion, as is most of her duties over here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks