New names in a republican Britain

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dennis Nicholls, Sep 10, 2002.

1. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    I was just thinking about the RAF thread (no, not about Robert Fowlkes) and got to thinking what would happen to all those names containing "royal" if Britain someday becomes a republic. No more "royal" in the names, such as RAF, Royal Navy, etc.

Would the Royal Air Force become the Republican Air Force? Sounds too conservative for me, but it preserves the acronym. How about the People's Air Force? Sounds downright commie. Would they change the name depending upon the party in power: Labour Air Force or Conservative Air Force? Or maybe just The Few Air Force for history's sake.

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I could let Paul and some of the other Poms speak for themselves, but this is just too good. The chances of a Republican Britain are pretty close to zero. Australia, which likes to consider itself hugely egalitarian, voted not to become a republic about four years ago. Giving the non-egalitarian (note how carefully I avoid a loaded phrase such as class conscious) Brits the usual two choices of ditching the Monarchy.

God Save the Queen

Even so I like your thought and hope to contribute an acronym or two.

3. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    What's wrong with "British Air Force", "British Navy", etc.? Nothing terribly complicated about it.

Regards,

Joe

4. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    Dennis brings up the interesting point that the acronyms would all be changed, so some cost would be involved to affected institutions. but that's a one-off, which no doubt a pro-republican Britain (if such a vote came to pass) would be willing to absorb.

and it's not completely unheard of, in that some institutions which specifically identify themselves as "King's" or "Queen's" (e.g. Queen's Counsels) get changed if a King is succeeded by a Queen, and vice-versa --it's just that everyone's gotten used to having had a Queen for 50 years already.

5. andrew markworthy

Just to disabuse you guys of a couple of things;

(a) Brits generally are indifferent about the monarchy. Various reliable opinion polls in recent years have shown a slight majority in favour of getting rid of the Royal Family. I'm afraid it's a myth that we all worship the Royal family and think Diana was a saint (the scenes leading up to and at her funeral were due to a vocal *minority* - most of us were embarrased by the whole thing),

(b) whether as a Brit you like or loathe the monarchy has v. little to do with class. There are fervent royalists and republicans within every social group.

6. Maurice McCone

Maurice McCone Stunt Coordinator

Andrew, not sure which poll you are refering too, I am not aware of a majority wanting a republic in the UK.
    You say we are largely indifferent to the Monarchy, I would challenge that.
    Certainly us Brits do not feel the need to face a photo of the Queen every morning and swear allegience to her, nor do we need to dress in the flag every day, but this should not be confused with a desire to see a republic.
    A section of our society, mainly the left, greatly underestimated the support for the Queens Jubilee celebrations this year, only to be amazed at some of the most amazing scenes of support for the monarchy that the country has seen since the coronation.
    Thats my evidence. All systems have flaws, but we will be keeping the monarchy, over the huge failings of the alternatives.
    [​IMG]

7. Lew Crippen

8. BrianB

BrianB Producer

9. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Ooops, I didn't mean this thread to become political.

So would the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, become .....

10. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Dennis
    Congrats on stiring the pot!
    That's right up there with a Brit saying,"so when are you going to make him King George the 1st"?
    Next time you make a statement like that, try a country where there are few members in the forum...Pakastan and San Marino are good Targets!
    Grant
    [​IMG]

11. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Now I will wait for the San Marino hate email to flood in...

12. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

13. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Yes
    They better watch their steps those damn....people from Andorra or we will fart in their general direction.
    Reminds me of the MPFC sketch....make up derogatory terms for Belgians...#1 was just call them Belgians-thats bad enough already

14. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

The other side of the question is what do you replace the Monarchy with? The Monarch has no real power only ceremonial duties; yet the apparatus of government in the UK has evolved from a time when the Monarch held most/all power. Also bear in mind that the UK's "constitution" is largely unwritten or composed of various laws.
    So if the Monarchy is abolished, what is it replaced with? A republic presumably, but how is constituted? would there be a new constitution? and if so who creates it? Abolition would not be an insurmountable problem, but it seems to me that doing so would a very serious matter for reasons that have little to do with the merits or otherwise of the current system.
    A new constitution could be a beneficial thing, a restatement of the ancient and accumulated rights of a free country, or it could codify the (real or potential) erosion of rights caused by [various political opinions omitted by member [​IMG] ] In either case it is something not to be taken lightly and I don't believe that it will/should ever happen without there first being a clear, concrete vision as to what the institution will be replaced with.
    (I don't pretend to be an expert on Australian politics, but the few Aussies I have discussed the abolition vote with brought up a similar argument: the current system is less than ideal for Australia, but it is a harmless historical left over and there would be a distinct possibility of the politicians meddling with the replacement system)

15. RichardMA

RichardMA Second Unit

It's not about getting rid of the Monarchy to help
    usher in Republicanism, it's about destroying another
    plank in Western European culture to usher in a mysterious,
    cultureless "world system" that seems to cater more
    and more to Third World sensibilities and to solely benefit them.
    There is ample evidence of the "planned" erosion; The Kyoto
    Treaty puts a huge onus on the West to lessen pollution
    on already pollution controlled industries like cars
    and factories for production. Meanwhile, the raw coal
    burning industry of the Third World is by far the largest
    polluter (3.6 billion people use it there) and those countries are strangely exempt from any form of pollution
    control measures in that pathetic treaty. Taken as a whole, these measures are nothing more than the biggest attempt in history to shift wealth from the First World to the Third. So far it's worked; To the tune of about
    2 trillion dollars.

16. andrew markworthy

17. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

I think 'indifferent' is the perfect way to describe the general British public's feelings towards the royals. There are good reasons for both keeping, and losing them, but at the end of the day, most people really don't give a shit. They bring in a huge amount of tourist revenue to this country, and they're perpetuating a grand tradition, which a lot of people like.

18. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Wholeheartedly agree on the Diana thing, Paul. The media trumpeting her as a saint was sickening too.

19. Lew Crippen

20. andrew markworthy