What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

New Kind Of Home Coffee Maker - When Is New, New? (1 Viewer)

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
According to USA Today, 3 major appliance companies are introducing a new concept home coffee maker. The USA article shows the following machine:

However eSalton's Melitta brand already has one:

Umm. Marketing hype to the extreme.

The complete USA story ishere.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
WTF?! That thing is the exact opposite of what I need in a home coffee maker. Mabye for my desk at work, but I'm a consultant, so I'm at my desk at work about 60 days out of the whole year. If I want coffee at home, I usually plan to drink more than one cup. Why the hell would I want to make them all separately. Even with a french press, I can get two cups out of one effort. This seems silly. Does it do anything special? I'm a black coffee drinker (no froo-froo stuff) but even I would expect some sort of magic out of a $60 machine that takes one minute and comes to nearly $0.25 per cup of coffee. I guess I'm cheap too. I'm not the guy who leaves my $50 coffee maker off in the morning and then leaves the house to stop at SB on the way to work to grab a $5 cup of joe that tastes burnt. StarBucks is the Bose of coffee!

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Nah, its all good. Just dont see who this will be the "Camera Phone of coffee makers". Although, the camera phone doesnt do much for me either. Sure, its conveniant, but lets converge some more useful devices. I've still YET to see a PDA phone that was pulled off well and isnt $500+. If they can put a digital camera in there and sell it for $30 (with a contract) WTF?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
It'll probably do well with those who live alone and don't like to make an entire pot of coffee just so they can have one mug-full.

And if it seems expensive, remember, it's marketed toward people who live alone, which means they probably have the cash. ;) :D

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I am the only coffee drinker in my household of 2, and I make a whole pot. That probably explains a lot, huh? :D

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I'm the only coffee drinker in my household of two, which is why I don't make coffee at home. I stop at starbucks on the way to work.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Oh come on Don, you could make a pot of coffee, pour a cup, and throw the rest down the drain, and you'd still come out ahead v. starbucks. Starbucks burns their beans and then charges $5 for what amounts to $.07 of ingrediants ($.12 if you get the low-cal, iced-mochachocafrappalattechino) and a $.05 cup.

Oh, and in case its not obvious, ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Unless you can get my wife that said hot 23 year old girl has any relevance to my coffee, I guess I'll stick with home. :D

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Revolutionary my #$$

I've seen single serving coffee makers. Ooooh, this one does it a few minutes faster. That's not a revolution.

When they make a quick, easy coffee maker that will make me, say, a caramel vanilla latte by just pouring in some coffee, I'm in. When I clicked on this, I was hoping this was a cheap & easy maker of fancy coffee. Oh well.

I don't pay $3 for coffeehouse coffe, I pay it for the atmosphere (and not normally at starbucks, they don't exist 'round here). Although I will confess to going to starbucks on a few trips.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
I have the Melitta one. I haven't used it yet - brand new. It uses little coffee "pods." So you fill up the water thing and throw in a pod (a sealed single serve coffee filter) and you are on your way. You can buy the pods in the store in boxes of 16 in different flavors. I'm going to use it at work.

I also have a regular coffee maker and a French press. Frechn press makes some good brew but the prep and clean up is a hassle.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member

And if your wife ever suspects anything between you two, you can ask her if she has sufficient grounds for her accusation. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks