What's new

New Kind Of Home Coffee Maker - When Is New, New? (1 Viewer)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I could easily see this being popular among some coffee drinkers. Let's say you're leaving for work, and right before you leave you pop one of these bags in and brew a cup in 60 seconds, all for a cost of less than a quarter. Compare that to stopping on the way, standing in line, and paying $1.50 (for plain coffee).

KDHM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kim Donald Houde-Martens
Ok
I had a Philips Senso for about a year. A great cup of coffee, Not this coffee flavored water that you get from Drip Coffee makers, This is much more like the coffee you get in Europe in a cafe, where each serving is made from a large pressurized machine and you will never see a big urn of coffee being kept warm. Once you get used to drinking coffee made this way drip coffee tastes like nothing.
kd

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
We have one of those single cup coffee maker machines at work (which hooks up to the large bottles of water we get for the water cooler) and it is definitely a hit.

The big advantage I can see with this in the home is for the family that can't decide on a coffee. You want regular, your wife wants decafe, and your teens want a strong Dark Roast. This will please the whole family instead of figthing over which pot of coffee to make.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Ayup.

If brewed coffee is your thing (and not espresso-based drinks), then I can wholeheartedly second this notion. I normally brew my own lattes, but when I drink normal brewed coffee, I break out the french press. I have one for work and home (not that I use it all the time, but just in case I have the jonesing for it, I know the press is there). :emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

Plus, once you get the grind and timing to your liking, the press is very consistent, and very easy to clean.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I've never known if I'm getting the most out of my french press.

The instructions I got say to fill the press to a certain level with water that is "almost boiling"... Ok, that leaves me two options, either boil water and then wait a while for it to cool a bit, or take my water's temperature as it heats. Neither one thrills me as I'm not necessarily up for a 20 minute coffee making exercies.

Then, I'm supposed to add the coffee, stir it in with something that wont shatter the glass press, and wait three minutes, then press, and pour.

OK, so I've devised this little trick instead, but I wonder if I'm ruining the experiance.

I put the coffe grounds in the bottom of the press, then I add hot water. Then I throw it in the microwave for 2 minutes. When it comes out, I let it sit a minute and then press. The coffee tastes good to me, I guess. What are the connesuier's (SP?) thoughts?

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Don, after reading this thread and asking some questions, I ended up buying a tea kettle so I could boil water. I use a Bodum press exactly like the one in the link I gave. I think one of the benefits is simplicity, so I doubt you are going to find much difference between models. If I had to by one over again, I'd probably get something with a sturdier handle. Mine is all glass and plastic except for the metal filter part and the rod that attaches it. When you fill it up, the way the handle attaches (look in the picture, it goes over the bottom and then it just "clips" over the lip at the top), it feels like it could pull free at the top and send boiling hot water everywhere. It never has, but I still wonder.

Generally speaking, search for "french press" at www.shopping.yahoo.com

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Don, the Bodum French Press comes in three sizes - 3 cup, 8-cup and 12-cup. The 3-cup one would make about a mug and a half of coffee (and you can always not fill it up all the way if you only want one cup).

Michael Caicedo

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Caicedo
This is funny. After posting in this thread I told my wife I wanted to try a french press. You mean like this? she asked as she reached under one of the kitchen cabinets. We had gotten one from her aunt and uncle for Christmas present. :b Well, after downloading internet instructions :) and a trip to the grocery store for some coarse grinded coffee, I made a couple of batches. I've been making my morning coffee on the press ever since. :emoji_thumbsup:

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
the filterfresh machine at work presses the coffee like that when it makes the cup for you.
But I don't drink coffee, just find the machine fascinating.

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
I'm reincarnating this thread to ask a question. I thought that would be more polite than starting a whole new thread about this same general topic.

I have had it with my lame single-cup drip machine (Black & Decker "To Go" or something). It just makes weak coffee, and it takes a lot of coffee (three scoops per cup!) to do even that. Otherwise, it takes like coffee-flavored water.

MY QUESTION: Regarding the "pod" coffee makers, which I guess I will have to "buy into" now in order to finally get a good, pressurized cup a'joe, can I put MORE THAN ONE POD in the little pod-holder in order to get a STRONGER cup of coffee? Or, is there a "super strong" coffee pod available?

Simple question, I guess. Thanks for putting up with this thread again to get to it. I appreciate your answers.

Anyone have any opinions on the pod machines? I'm doing the right thing, right?

MC

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks