What's new

New Groundhog Day with DTS (1 Viewer)

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Dang, I just picked this movie up at Wal Mart for $9.44.
I love this movie and am VERY happy with it's picture and sound!
If I would have known there was a DTS version coming out, I may have waited, but I'm happy with the current release, I mean I'm just happy that it's in it's OAR and the Pro Logic isn't bad at all.
Now I have been holding out for the Tombstone SE with 5.1, now here's a movie that would definitely benefit from dts or DD 5.1.
------------------
Sean
"I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Complaining over a non-OAR only release:
Good thing.
Totally disagree LukeB. Complaining over a non-OAR release is a good thing. Complaining over a non-OAR only release is, IMHO, just tiresome and will lessen the studio's desire to bother with OAR.
I think DTS is just another sound output. It doesn't matter what the movie is. My experience of DTS is it makes dialogue clearer which is a good thing.
Personally, though, if a movie never had 5.1 sound it would be nice to have a PCM stereo track, though I realise this is probably way too large for anything else to fit on the disc afterwards.
frown.gif

------------------
My band is @ http://www.mokita.net
My Novelty Coasters

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Complaining over a non-OAR release is a good thing. Complaining over a non-OAR only release is, IMHO, just tiresome
Huh?
confused.gif
confused.gif

It's good to complain about a p&s disc, but if the p&s is the only one available, complaining about it is tiresome?
------------------
13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

mark_d

Second Unit
"Complaining over a non-OAR only release"
has two meanings depending on emphasis.
"Complaining over a (non-OAR) only release"
No version available other than MAR (Modified Aspect Ratio).
"Complaining over a non-(OAR only) release"
Version that includes both OAR and MAR i.e. it does not only have the OAR version.
I think the original poster was intending the sentence to be read as per the second example...
Mark

TheoGB

Screenwriter
D'oh. See what you mean. In fact now I read it none of it makes any sense. Blah!
blush.gif
frown.gif
confused.gif

For the record I read the sentence as "Complaining about non OAR-only releases". Again let me say
blush.gif

Sorry to all involved. It just irritated me that people were complaining that titles like Shrek come out with both OAR and P&S and that obviously made me see what wasn't there. D'oh!
wink.gif

------------------
My band is @ http://www.mokita.net
My Novelty Coasters
[Edited last by TheoGB on November 08, 2001 at 10:36 AM]

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Theo,
I did mean it's good to complain about DVDs for movies only in un-original aspect ratio (P&S, Open Matte) but now that you've confused me completely, I'm gonna just agree with you. :D
Wonka Fullscreen Only = BAD
Groundhog Day Widescreen + DTS + Extras = BAD...to complain about!!!!

Chris Maynard

Supporting Actor
Luis - Do you have anything to add to this board other than you one or two sentence DTS advertisements?
It seems your whole reason of being here is to boast DTS with nothing backing it up but school yard smack talk.
It is growing tiresome.

David Illingworth II

Second Unit
This DVD should be great (and the old one is a great buy at $9), but I was wondering does anybody know of any scenes that were cut from this movie?

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
For those that are worried about the transfer lacking because of too many audio tracks should be happy about thia. The Big Picture has posted their review of the disc, giving the video a 4 (out of 5), the same score they gave the video on their review of the original release. They say of the transfer:
To be quite frank, I see no improvements over Columbia's original release, which is actually quite good. Colors seem natural and well saturated, but not overly vibrant.
Granted that's only one review, but it gives hope the transfer doesn't suffer. I expect more reviews to start popping up next week.
Full Review

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks