wink.gif

------------------
Chuck
Chuckster's HT Site
The At-Home Home Theater (E.L.)
The Dorm Room Theater (E.L.)

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
With all the extras and soundtracks available, I really think that we're going to see a degration in video quality.
They really should remove the DTS soundtrack. The improvement in sound it will offer will not be worth the degration in video quality.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Let's see - old disc - single-layered - wonderful anamorphic transfer. New disc - dual-layered - wonderful anamorphic transfer + DTS + 30-minute documentary.
Nope, video transfer will be excellent, as will the DTS. Do you guys ever find reason NOT to complain?
My goodness! Can't wait to add this one to my collection!

Lewis_W

Agent
I can't believe what I have been reading in the posts above. First everyone complains that there aren't enough DTS titles. Then when a fantastic film like Groundhog Day is given a remix into DTS you all complain!
Be thankful that Columbia Tristar are giving us a Special Edition of this film, and the fact that it can be heard in DTS is just the icing on the cake. A good soundtrack doesn't have to be full of explosions and bombastic bass to be highly effective and moving.
Sometimes I just don't understand you guys. Well done Columbia Tristar!
Lewis.
PS
I'm sorry to all those people out there who are in favour of this film being in DTS.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Amen Lewis!
------------------
To the men and women of the N.Y. police and fire department
God bless you.
To the victims and their families
God keep you.
To the dirtbags who caused all this
God help you!!!

Ricky f

Supporting Actor
Believe me I am not complaining, I applaud Columbia for releasing a SE of this great movie
All I am saying is that Groundhog Day is a movie that does not need DTS IMO. I would prefer to have more Special Features, But I am really happy about this SE. Well Done Columbia, You have my money's worth.
Regards,
Ricky

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
First everyone complains that there aren't enough DTS titles. Then when a fantastic film like Groundhog Day is given a remix into DTS you all complain!
Solution:
It's not the same people who are complaining in those different cases. So it's not everyone and you all in both. :)
Cees

Lewis_W

Agent
I did apologise to all the people in favour of Groundhog Day in DTS. I just seems that whatever companies do, there's always someone who complains!
Lewis.

Ricky f

Supporting Actor
Lewis we need to complain
If we did not complain about Willy Wonka not being in WIDESCREEN we would just have the awful Full Frame version
I see your point but studios need our input
Regards,
Ricky

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
If we don't moan and groan we'd all have lazy releases from studios that we have to keep rebuying until they get it right. They are still doing this now but not to the same extent that they could be doing it if we weren't bitching.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Complaining over a non-OAR only release:
Good thing.
Complaining over getting a remastered special edition with extras and DTS:
That's dumb. Don't do it. Mmmmkay? Good.

Ricky f

Supporting Actor
Luke I am not complaining about a SE, All I am saying is DTS is not really needed and if it was a choice between DTS or more extras, I would go with more extras.
Not really complaining Mmmmkay? Good.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Ricky, you're assuming that CTHV is leaving off extras they would have included if not for the DTS track. That is a bold assumption. What other extras are there??

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
DTS is more different than Dolby Digital in a theater than in your home theater, although DTS is less compressed. I personally can tell a difference in some titles.
I think it was good on Columbia's part to put a DTS track on the disc instead of making a bunch of "fluff" extras. Groundhog Day, the movie itself, is not the kind of movie that could have a ton of extras.
The commentary by Harold Ramis is enough to make me want to get this disc.
[Edited last by PatrickMcCart on November 07, 2001 at 03:55 PM]

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I personally will take an added soundtrack over extras because I'm buying the movie for the movie not the extras. I watch them maybe once then never again.
Columbia with their superbits and now this is making me spend more $$ on their discs and not on others because they are giving me what I want.
That's dumb. Don't do it. Mmmmkay? Good.
You're complaining about complaining. Whats your point?

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
I agree, keep the DTS track if possible. Yes, people don't understand what 5.1 can actually do for any movie: clear dialog, ambient sound, and full range everything. As for Dolby vs. DTS: I always prefer DTS because it seems more full and rounded out. A great example is American Beauty. The Dolby Digital track is excellent but switch over to DTS and it feels more like an actual theater, just like the one I saw it in originally. Music always tends to be better in DTS than in Dolby Digital. Not to knock Dolby in anyway, but if there is DTS, I'll take it. Now that I think of it, check out what Dolby Digital 5.1 did for Monty Python and The Holy Grail. Yes, much of the stuff added was new processed sound, but the dialog is crystal clear over the mono track. One of my favorite aspects of 5.1 sound is the clarity of dialog. Adeiu.
Aaron Garman

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
You're complaining about complaining. Whats your point?
My point is we're gonna look like a bunch of morons to the studios if we complain over everything, including a special edition re-release with DTS. If they're complaining about this, the studios may think, then they're bound to complain about anything. Sure, complain if there's a worthy cause...petition where OAR is missing.
Don't bitch and moan over good news like Groundhog Day is being re-released with DTS.
It's simple logic.
The original release had a nice anamorphic transfer and was single-layered.
The new release will be dual-layered and adds only production notes and an audio commentary (neither takes up much space) plus DTS and a 30-minute documentary. So double the space for a DTS track and a 30-minute documentary...seems like the video will have the same amount of space (if they simply re-use the old video transfer which was very strong to begin with) for video or even more. Think of it this way:
one layer - video transfer + trailers
one layer - documentary, commentary, and DTS track
The fact of the matter is it's silly to complain or defend the video transfer since we haven't even seen it yet! And who knows what the DTS track will be like? It's silly to bitch and moan about there being video compromise, because doing the math would tell you that's just not true!
People are always asking for DTS tracks....it's people who complain over their inclusion that are going to confuse the studios and have them disregard everything that people ask for, since the people seem to complain no matter what. Columbia could have saved money by not having a DTS track and leaving everything else the same.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I think we look like a bunch of perfectionist who won't let a studio get lazy and offer a substandard product. To me Demanding DTS is like demanding the studios release a directors commentary. They are both features. Their is also plenty of room on the disc.
I like choice and Columbia is offering me that. What more could I want?

StevenW

Second Unit
You know....when I first read about this release this morning on DVDFile I thought in the back of my head "gee the people over at HTF are gonna eat this one up"
I guess I was wrong

Larry Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
I think another issue here that is being overlooked is whether or not Columbia TriStar is using this title as a test case for continuing on issuing titles with a DTS track.
True, the SuperBit titles contain a DTS track - however - the SuperBit DVDs are a specialized niche DVD. Not everyone is going to purchase (or re-purchase) these.
If the GroundHog Day does half-way decent business, Columbia may view this as a sign for more select titles being released non-Superbit style with DTS tracks.
Mask of Zorro (Mark of Zorro?) was released with a DTS track - however most people remarked that it was due to the fact that this was a Spielberg (Dreamworks) title and so Columbia may have felt that that THEY didn't get the credit for the DTS track.
If a re-issue title with DTS is released and does decent business, this may be a good enough sign for Columbia to continue releasing DTS a more select titles.
So - chill out people - every studio has their own market research techniques, ala Family Movies in FullScreen only research that Warner Bros is based on
laugh.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks