Real Name
Vincent Matis
And mine is DVDFile
biggrin.gif

http://www.dvdfile.com/software/dvd-....html#11062001
Vincent
------------------

AFI Top 100 Films Home Theater Forum Challenge

AFI Movies Left To Watch: 34 33 32 31 30: Sound Of Music (3.5 out of 4)
[Edited last by Vincent Matis on November 06, 2001 at 02:48 AM]

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Cool!
------------------
To the men and women of the N.Y. police and fire department
God bless you.
To the victims and their families
God keep you.
To the dirtbags who caused all this
God help you!!!

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
What's the point of adding DTS? First, Groundhog Day's orignial theatrical audio track is Dolby Surround. Second, GD was never an agressive, enveloping audio track. I think it's a waste of space which could be used for extras/better video quality.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Totally agree with the above statement regarding using the extra space for improved video quality. The latest Mask of Zorro Special Edition in my opinion is not as detailed as the older non/se version...too much on one disc?
------------------

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
DTS is on there to help re-sell the disc to the DTS die hards...I suspect.
I haven't bought the film on DVD yet...this will be the version I buy, finally. I guess my un-intentional patience paid off. :)
------------------
LuvLBX

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Erm, isn't DTS just a way of encoding audio data. So what if there was no DTS for theatrical release?

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
I think that the best thing about this release is that it is only in widescreen.
DVDShrine.com has the cover art up both front and back.
-Chad

Marty Christion

Stunt Coordinator
Obviously they went back and remixed the sound (or fed it through a 2->5.1 processor?), since it's in 5.1. So I would expect this DVD to sound better than it ever has before.
I hope the fact that it will sound different than it did in theaters doesn't offend too many people in this forum
rolleyes.gif

MichaelG

Second Unit
I will be telling myself on the way to the store, "don't drive angry", but "I'm not going to play by their rules anymore". If it's early enough "I could go for some flapjacks" while I watch the movie, then "say a prayer and drink to world peace".
I can't wait for this one!

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Well, as long as Harold Ramis approves of the 5.1 remix, I suppose it's okay.
I still think DTS is unnecessary, as it's a dialogue driven movie. Heck, why didn't Final Fantasy get a DTS track?
EDIT:
Let me just say that I did like the 5.1 remix for Monty Python and the Holy Grail (subtitle glitches aside).
[Edited last by Richard Kim on November 06, 2001 at 12:05 PM]

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Yeah, Groundhog Day doesn't need DTS or DD, imho. It's just not that kind of movie. The regular old Dolby Surround is just fine.
I really don't want to buy ANOTHER copy of Groundhog Day for the extras. But I guess they are going to force me to do it.

PerryD

Supporting Actor
Regarding possible loss of picture quality, not only does the new disc have a 5.1 Dolby Digital & DTS, it also includes French, Spanish and Portuguese soundtracks, plus audio commentary. It'll be interesting if a Superbit version comes out at a later date.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, Groundhog Day doesn't need DTS or DD, imho. It's just not that kind of movie.
Why do people believe that DTS and DD are for bombastic type movies? That's simply not the case. The extra fidelity of the 5.1 track is a huge gain especially since most studios will encode the 2.0 track at 196!
As far as the DTS part and not to get into any flame wars over sound in DTS but usually DTS reproduces music better and voices as well. This movie has both and I don't see why they couldn't put the movie in DTS.
I'll still buy the movie regardless because its damn funny. The rest is added benefit.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm all over this title. I really love this movie and any extras will justify the repurchase. DTS doesn't make or break a sale for me, but the commentary with Ramis should be fun.
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I'm with Shane on this, DD can do wonders for a dialogue driven film! Their are alot of outdoor scene's in this film, and 5.1 will add atmospere, and spaciality, like birds chirping, traffic in the distance, and best of all, the 'Pennsylvania Polka' will echo appropriately! :)
------------------
To the men and women of the N.Y. police and fire department
God bless you.
To the victims and their families
God keep you.
To the dirtbags who caused all this
God help you!!!

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
To say DTS is just for movies with full on 5.1 mixes really kind of misses the point entirely of what DTS as a company try to achieve.
Dan (UK)

Add me to the list of people long awaiting this SE. It's been rumored for so long (since early 2000, by my count) that I've been holding off purchasing this on DVD to avoid the ol' double-purchase jinx.
I'm so excited about this, it pretty much makes up for my disappointment over the postponemnet of the Jerry Maguire SE (another title I've been avoiding purchasing on DVD for want of an SE -- like Midnight Cowboy and Dazed and Confused).
I empathize fully with those wishing space would be used for more extras rather than an uninspired DTS track, but my main priority on extras is involvement by the notoriously reclusive (from a PR sense) Bill Murray. As long as they've worked him into the featurette somehow, I'm happy.
------------------
CMM

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks