What's new

New From Scratch, Almost (1 Viewer)

GKMan

Auditioning
Real Name
Gary Korneman
About ready to update TV, Receiver, Blu-ray. Tired of the big pile of remotes and unwilling to try yet another universal to add to the pile. About all we watch is a rental disk or PBS from antenna once in a while but would like to be ready for the future. Would be fun to surf youtube videos from my Lazy Boy but not necessary. I have looked at and trust Sony as much as anyone and they offer all three pieces so hopefully one remote. I’m happy with the price and picture on the BRAVIA KDL46BX420 46-Inch LCD and a STR-DH520 $249 Receiver for the sound. One selling point of these models “With the intuitive BRAVIA Widget on-screen interface, you can now connect to select BRAVIA TVs to easily view and control the receiver and component settings directly on the TV screen”. Looks like it is easy (and cheap) to get a blu-ray player to handle not only recorded media but internet content as well (the future?). I’m happy with my hard wired LAN and I can add a LAN cable from my router to entertainment center easy enough. Have a TV card in my pc and use Microsoft Media Center to record and play back just on my pc monitor. Would like to play back on new home theater center of course but don’t know how it would work. Wouldn’t want to control volume, fast foreword etc from a pc in the other end of the house. (?) Is there a question in this? Yes. Looks like TV’s are selling at a premium of several hundred dollars simply because they have internet connect (Amazon video, YouTube, etc) built-in. Is this any advantage if the blu-ray player has it? Additional feedback welcome.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I don't think there's an advantage to having Netflix, etc. built into the TV. I stream with my Panasonic Blu-ray player and it works great.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
It would allow you to use Netflix without turning on your amp, that is to use your TV speakers. Not something I would ever do, but there are some out there who like to have that option.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks