What's new

Optical out from TV to AVR? (1 Viewer)

mjcmt

Agent
Real Name
Mike
I have a 2010ish Sony Bravia 55" smart HDTV hooked up to a Yamaha RXV681 AVR in a 3.0 HT system.

I've been using the optical out from the TV to the optical input of the AVR. I use the TV for over-the-air local HDTV programs plus free Tubi, Pluto, Xumo, and YouTube apps. As well as a few free music apps.

I've been reading how optical out is not the best connection but to use HDMI arc instead. The only output I see labeled on the TV is optical. Although HDMI 3 on the TV is HDMIarc, but it only looks like an input not an output. I've read arc is send/receive, but I can't figure how to use this function w/ my AVRs HDMI inputs. The only HDMI connection that says HDMIarc on my AVR is one labeled HDMI output.

How should I hook up my TV to the AVR to use the various TV apps?
Thanks kindly.

av-receiver-yamaha-rx-v681-back.jpg

Last edited:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
ARC on your tv is both an input and an output. There should be a setting on your tv somewhere for HDMI control. Turn it on and you dhould be good to go.

mjcmt

Agent
Real Name
Mike
I can't figure it out, it's set but only sound from optical. Maybe a need a better HDMI cable?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The short answer is, you really aren't losing anything by using the optical output. I definitely recommend sticking with that, since you're already using it and it works.

Modern eARC (which you don't have anyway) permits Atmos and HD audio to be passed, but none of your sources have that, and with a 3.0 system you wouldn't really gain anything anyway. Like I said, you don't have eARC, so the point is moot.

For sources originating within the TV, such as OTA and apps, you are not losing anything by using optical. Plus, once again, you'd need to be capable of eARC (which you don't have) for there to even be a slight possibility of any improvement. With a 3.0 system, even that wouldn't be worth the trouble.

Just stick with the optical connection. I use OTA from the TV since I haven't had cable in almost 20 years, and I use it this way, even though I have a pretty elaborate Atmos setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks