What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Spartacus is a film near and dear to my heart. I know it well, having first seen it theatrically, in 70mm, in 1960.

When it was re-issued in 1967 it had been shorn (much like Lawrence) of much of the material that held the film together, inclusive of the original ending.

Photographed in 35/8 Technirama, by Russell Metty, who won the Academy Award, it received a digital restoration several years ago by the team at Universal, but was only seen in HD by the home theater audience.

That has now been remedied by the studio's new 4k release, and the results of all the digital work are permitted to shine.

An exquisite 4k, perfectly stable, with gorgeous color, wonderful high (and low) lights, great shadow detail, and perfectly a reproduced grain structure.

Audio is now offered in DTS-X, and it fills the room, as it should.

I'm a happy camper.

Well, almost.

I had a tiny problem making an initial incision into the outer wrapping protecting the Best Buy steel case, but it did protect the case from bumps and scratches nicely.

I'm sure the packaging would please Mr. Kubrick no end.

Image – 5

Audio – 5 (DTS-X)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Absolutely!

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I think I'm one of the few on this forum that has not seen the film and i am a big fan of Kubrick and Kirk Douglas. Our local library's are adding 4K movies to their collections so i should check it out or the regular Blu-ray.

Dennis Gallagher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dennis T. Gallagher
Understandable of course - but daresay Mr. Harris is much too modest in not noting his own incredible efforts restoring "Spartacus" to its full length in 1991. I had the great experience of seeing this - - like "Lawrence" and later "Vertigo" (two others of Mr. Harris' greatly appreciated restoration efforts) - at the wonderful Ziegfeld (R.I.P.) in NYC.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I think I'm one of the few on this forum that has not seen the film and i am a big fan of Kubrick and Kirk Douglas. Our local library's are adding 4K movies to their collections so i should check it out or the regular Blu-ray.
I think R. Harris answered your question above. The 4K is a big time upgrade from the blu ray.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I had been considering grabbing this on iTunes since I already have a handful of discs of this movie but it’s not likely to have Atmos and will not have DTS-X so I’m hoping to grab the 4K disc on sale at some point.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
The 2015 Blu-ray came with a digital code that redeemed at iTunes which means I should get a free 4K upgrade, however I fear that like Blues Brothers, this may be another Universal release where the digital 4K version is indefinitely delayed. :(

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Spartacus is a film near and dear to my heart. I know it well, having first seen it theatrically, in 70mm, in 1960.

When it was re-issued in 1967 it had been shorn (much like Lawrence) of much of the material that held the film together, inclusive of the original ending.

Photographed in 35/8 Technirama, by Russell Metty, who won the Academy Award, it received a digital restoration several years ago by the team at Universal, but was only seen in HD by the home theater audience.

That has now been remedied by the studio's new 4k release, and the results of all the digital work are permitted shine.

An exquisite 4k, perfectly stable, with gorgeous color, wonderful high (and low) lights, great shadow detail, and perfectly a reproduced grain structure.

I'm a happy camper.

Well, almost.

I had a tiny problem making an initial incision into the outer wrapping protecting the Best Buy steel case, but it did protect the case from bumps and scratches nicely.

Image – 5

Audio – 5 (DTS-X)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Very Highly Recommended

RAH
Yup, I'm a happy camper too as I just got done watching my 4K disc. It looked beautiful!

DavidDTS

Agent
Real Name
David

That has now been remedied by the studio's new 4k release, and the results of all the digital work are permitted shine.

I'm a happy camper.

Well, almost.

Image – 5

Audio – 5 (DTS-X)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

FORGIVE ME IN ADVANCE- watching the film for the first time- is there SUPPOSED to be (what looks to be) an accidental editing skip at 10min13sec.....? Video right below.

Last edited:

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
I knew what you were talking about just by the timecode. This is normal and has been a part of every print and home video release I've seen since 1991. I'm sure Mr. Harris can explain why.

Brian Husar

Supporting Actor
Look what just came. Both with RAH’s recommendation. Can’t wait to watch.

Attachments

• FD0202BB-B17F-42D7-B01F-B4C79A92A6FE.jpeg
    FD0202BB-B17F-42D7-B01F-B4C79A92A6FE.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 242

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks