What's new

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I would agree with that, except to say that Spartacus is equal to or better than any of: The Alamo, Elmer Gantry, Sons and Lovers or The Sundowners.
We all have different opinions because I think Elmer Gantry was the best movie that year. Furthermore, you can say that about any given film year in which opinions vary among us.

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
Very true, and I agree Elmer Gantry was a very strong release that year, also with the wonderful Jean Simmons.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Very true, and I agree Elmer Gantry was a very strong release that year, also with the wonderful Jean Simmons.
Simmons, who wasn't nominated for her work in Gantry, and who should have won.
The Alamo should have not been nominated. That slot belonged to Spartacus.
The other nominees are worthy entries.

PaulRossen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Rossen
I believe that The Alamo spent more on trade advertising and PR than Universal did for Spartacus. Thus, the Best Picture nomination for The Alamo rather than The Alamo. Could this be so?

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
I believe that The Alamo spent more on trade advertising and PR than Universal did for Spartacus. Thus, the Best Picture nomination for The Alamo rather than The Alamo. Could this be so?
That could be true but it's also not a guarantor of a nomination. There are many factors that could have led to The Alamo scoring a nom over Spartacus. Stanley's work was never admired all that much by the Academy. Maybe there was big epic Roman/Christ-ish fatigue - Ben Hur had won the year before. Russell Metty did win for cinematography. But talk about in retrospect oversights - Hitchcock's Psycho wasn't nominated ! Not even for the music ! Unreal.

PaulRossen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Rossen
That could be true but it's also not a guarantor of a nomination. There are many factors that could have led to The Alamo scoring a nom over Spartacus. Stanley's work was never admired all that much by the Academy. Maybe there was big epic Roman/Christ-ish fatigue - Ben Hur had won the year before. Russell Metty did win for cinematography. But talk about in retrospect oversights - Hitchcock's Psycho wasn't nominated ! Not even for the music ! Unreal.
1960 happened to be one of the great years for music scores. I certainly would have nominated Herrmann for Psycho instead of Previn for Elmer Gantry. But it wouldn’t have beaten out Gold for Exodus, North for Spartacus, Bernstein for Magnificent 7 or Tiomkin The Alamo. My choice would have been Alex North. But any one of them could have won.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
1960 happened to be one of the great years for music scores. I certainly would have nominated Herrmann for Psycho instead of Previn for Elmer Gantry. But it wouldn’t have beaten out Gold for Exodus, North for Spartacus, Bernstein for Magnificent 7 or Tiomkin The Alamo. My choice would have been Alex North. But any one of them could have won.
All good scores, indeed. However all of them but Psycho were pretty traditional. Psycho was a groundbreaking sound the likes of which hadn't really been heard before, and it was also extremely effective. It should have been Psycho.

PaulRossen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Rossen
All good scores, indeed. However all of them but Psycho were pretty traditional. Psycho was a groundbreaking sound the likes of which hadn't really been heard before, and it was also extremely effective. It should have been Psycho.
Perhaps Herrmann’s personality had something to do with the blackball against his Psycho score.

Last edited:

Christian D66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian
Anthony Perkins of course should have been nominated for Best Actor but the Academy didn't want to reward this low-budget shocker.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
TBH, I think Elmer Gantry was the best 1960 film of those that were nominated for Best Picture. However, with several decades to reflect on it, I think Psycho was the best movie released in 1960. Now, that's a matter of personal opinion, but there is little doubt that it's the most iconic movie from that film year.

PaulRossen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Rossen
Kubrick himself was not much of an issue in1960. One major production Paths of Glory and that’s it prior to Spartacus . Yes he did direct a few lower budget films. Yes he was fired from One Eyed Jacks. Kirk Douglas was impressed with Kubrick and at the last moment he replaced Anthony Mann.
I don’t believe it was ancent Rome fatigue, though that is an interesting idea. Spartacus was much better received and was one of the biggest earners of the year. The Alamo was basically a failure. I believe that the advertising campaign pushed The Alamo into the top 5. That said, an overzealous campaign for Chill Wills as Best Supporting Actor backfired and Peter Ustinov came out the surprise winner over Sal Mineo.

Last edited:

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Kubrick himself was not much of an issue in1960. One major production Paths of Glory and that’s it prior to Spartacus . Yes he did direct a few lower budget films. Yes he was fired from One Eyed Jacks. Kirk Douglas was impressed with Kubrick and at the last moment he replaced Anthony Mann.
I don’t believe it was Roman Empire fatigue though that is an interesting idea. Spartacus was much better received and was one of the biggest earners of the year. The Alamo was basically a failure. I believe that the advertising campaign pushed The Alamo into the top 5. That said an overzealous campaign for Chill Wills as Best Supporting Actor backfired and Peter Ustinov came out the surprise winner over Sal Mineo.

In addition to all of the stuff you mentioned, I have to wonder if the hiring of Dalton Trumbo for the screenplay might have also been a factor in Spartacus not being in the Best Picture race.

Anthony Perkins of course should have been nominated for Best Actor but the Academy didn't want to reward this low-budget shocker.

They did nominate Janet Leigh for Supporting Actress for her performance in the film, though she lost to Shirley Jones for Elmer Gantry. That said, they definitely should have at least nominated Perkins as well.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Yes apologies. I was just referring to the lack of a Best Director nominatioj for AH.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
In addition to all of the stuff you mentioned, I have to wonder if the hiring of Dalton Trumbo for the screenplay might have also been a factor in Spartacus not being in the Best Picture race.

They did nominate Janet Leigh for Supporting Actress for her performance in the film, though she lost to Shirley Jones for Elmer Gantry. That said, they definitely should have at least nominated Perkins as well.

Wasn’t Hitchcock nominated Best Director for Psycho?
You're correct. I read the wrong line when posting prior. It's been a long week.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks