What's new

Oculus Go: A Whole New Kind of Home Theater (1 Viewer)

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
oculus-go-1-980x620.jpg

Yesterday afternoon, the UPS man brought me the brand new Oculus Go. I'm not a gaming person at all, and I've never had a chance to play with VR. My interest is in movies and music. I have a screening room in my home with a HD projection system, surround sound and a ten foot screen. Watching movies on the big screen is what I do for fun.

My mind has been blown. I'm seeing a whole new type of home theater for the first time. The Oculus Go puts you in a three dimensional immersive world. You can look up and down and left and right and behind you and the experience is seamless. The screen is bright and pretty darn sharp. There's some chromatic aberration at the periphery of vision and a tiny bit of screen door texture, but overall it's very convincing.

The Go has been designed to be a self contained virtual reality entertainment system. It has a social aspect too (it's owned by Facebook). You can create a room, decorate it and then invite people who also do VR in to watch movies with you and listen to music and play table top games. It's like a virtual living room.

The best part though is the video screen. It's huge. It looks almost as good as my projection system. The sound is also immersive and responds to directionality when you turn your head. It's 3D compatible too. Netflix and Hulu have apps where you can access their library, and you can view in simulations of everything from high end movie theaters to cozy living rooms. It feels VERY close to the real thing.

The Go costs $200 ($250 with extra storage). A drop dead bargain for home theater fans. There are 1000 apps available too including three dimensional immersive spaces to explore, video games, nature and travel simulations, outer space, social applications, all sorts of things.

I'm totally overwhelmed and I haven't even scratched the surface yet. I think this thing is going to be big.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Is there a way to watch iTunes or stream movies on your computer to this device?

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
No iTunes, but you can stream movies to it using Plex.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks