What's new

New Cover Art - Monty Python & Holy Grail (CE) (1 Viewer)

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
I have no idea what the deal is with this release. The only thing Columbia has revealed is a $49.95 price tag, so I guess it must be some "special" special edition. Due date is 9/16

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
It's going to be one of these boxsets with the script, the CD soundtrack, a collector's booklet and (best of all) a frame or two of film, isn't it?

Jorge Montes

Stunt Coordinator
Soundtrack? Wasn't the entire film's soundtrack (aside from the songs they performed) public domain stuff? I know I've heard it all the time on news shows and el cheapo documentaries, always making me laugh.

If they don't I'll be severely disappointed. $50 for yet another version of the film? I love the movie, but there had better be a good reason to upgrade.... Are you listening, Columbia?

JulianK

Supporting Actor
Soundtrack? Wasn't the entire film's soundtrack (aside from the songs they performed) public domain stuff? I know I've heard it all the time on news shows and el cheapo documentaries, always making me laugh.
AFAIK it's not public domain music, it's library (or "stock") music, which is offered for use without much of the red tape usually associated with getting clearances and negotiating fees.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

More specifically, it's from the DeWolfe Music library (as stated in the opening credits). The Terry Jones commentary (originally taken from the Criterion LD) states that while he commissioned Neil Innes to create a music score for the film, it was too quaint when using instruments of the 'period' and and proved unsatisfactory, so they rummaged through the DeWolfe library to find suitable 'needle drop' cues.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
I will if there is a script and such. Also, I like the current cover art better. The previous SE cover was just too busy for me.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
do you think they will bother to correct the opening credits?
The llamas would be furious, I can't even begin to think how much Columbia would have to spend on legal fees alone...

Unless you were referring to another defect that I'm unaware of...:)

Douglas Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Douglas Bailey
I'll wait until it's released and reviewed. Then, if Columbia fixes the missing sub-title in the opening credits, I'll pick it up.

But no pre-order: they've burnt me once on this, and I intend to make sure the new disc is worthwhile before dropping any money on it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Well, the obvious question is....

Is thsi a brand-new transfer with brand new
supplements?

OR

Is this just the 2-disc SE released a few years
back repacked with external extras?

Dan Shogren

Stunt Coordinator
whats the alteration in the opening credits? ive never heard about that before. And also, this new CE better not have that good of extra special features or otherwise i will have to perform my first double dip. :angry:

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
Ron: my guess is that this is the same 2-disc SE with some additional "added value" material thrown in like the WB/Creative Design sets (poster, CD, script, etc)

Sean*O

Second Unit
Oh.. you diddn't see the 'superbit' logo on the back of the box.. with a DTS track ? ;)

J/K

I have no idea what they have done with this DVD.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Press release from Columbia Tri-Star Home Video:

---------

Cult Favorite Comic Masterpiece from The Always Hilarious British Comedy Troupe
Premieres with The Ultimate Collector's Edition

MONTY PYTHON AND THE HOLY GRAIL
Collectors Edition

Two-Disc Special Edition DVD
Plus Bonus Exclusive Collectible Premiums
Available Specially Packaged Together on September 16

Culver City, CA (July 10, 2003) - A must-have for any comedy fan, Columbia TriStar
Home Entertainment will debut the unique and definitive Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Collectors Edition featuring the famed comedy classic Monty Python and the Holy Grail Special
Edition Two-Disc DVD, which includes hours of hilarious bonus features plus exclusive
collectible premiums including a film cel senitype and paperback version of the script. Available
for a limited time only, the Monty Python and the Holy Grail Collector's Edition DVD Gift Set
will debut September 16 at the price of $49.95 SLP.

A hysterical, historical comedic tour-de-force featuring the "inspired lunacy" (Los
Angeles Times) and "marvelously zany humor" (Newsweek) of the original Monty Python troupe
including John Cleese (Rat Race), Eric Idle (Nuns on the Run), Graham Chapman (Yellowbeard)
and Michael Palin (A Fish Called Wanda) from acclaimed directors Terry Gilliam (The Fisher
King, Time Bandits, Brazil) and Terry Jones (Jabberwocky, Life of Brian), Monty Python and the
Holy Grail has long been revered as one of the best comedies in film history and reached cult
favorite status with loyal fans for years.

With their trademark insolent, intellectual humor and gross caricatures, the Monty Python
gang spoofs the medieval legend of King Arthur and The Knights of the Roundtable and
discovers some truly brilliant comedic moments including the deadly encounter with the "Killer
Rabbit" and the dreaded "Knights Who Says 'Nee!'"

SPECIAL EDITION DVD BONUS FEATURES INCLUDE:
DISC ONE
Commentary by directors Terry Gilliam and Terry Jones, plus general complaints and back-
biting by John Cleese, Eric Idle and Michael Palin
"Follow The Killer Rabbit" featurette
On-screen Screenplay
Extra 24 seconds of footage
Special feature for the Hard of Hearing
High definition widescreen presentation
Soundtrack in glorious 5.1 Dolby Digital
Mono soundtrack in glorious old-fashioned mono
Subtitles in English, French and Spanish
Subtitles For People Who Don't Like The Film
Animated menus
Scene selections

DISC TWO
Three Mindless Sing-Alongs
Join Michael Palin and Terry Jones in their special feature documentary "The Quest for the
Holy Grail Locations"
"How to Use Your Coconuts" (an educational film)
"On Location with The Pythons" - 18 min. location report made in 1974 by BBC Film Night
"Monty Python and the Holy Grail in LEGO" short film
Interactive Cast Directory
Monty Python and the Holy Grail in Japanese (with English subtitles)
Theatrical Trailers
Weblinks

Rated PG
Color / Closed Captioned
Running Time: 91 Minutes
Catalog # 01293 / UPC Code: 0-43396-01293-6
Order Date: 08/14/03
DVD SLP: $49.95

Artwork is available at www.CTHEAD.com

Visit Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment on the Web at www.SonyPictures.com

Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment is a Sony Pictures Entertainment company. SPE is a
division of Sony Corporation of America, a subsidiary of Tokyo-based Sony Corporation. SPE's
global operations encompass motion picture production and distribution; television production
and distribution; digital content creation and distribution; worldwide channel investments; home
entertainment acquisition and distribution; operation of studio facilities; development of new
entertainment products, services and technologies; and distribution of filmed entertainment in 67
countries. Sony Pictures Entertainment can be found on the World Wide Web at
http://www.sonypictures.com.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks