What's new

New Battlestar Galactica series..Any news of a dvd release? (2 Viewers)

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
So Universal is confirming a 2nd half S2 set with this news. Also missing from the upcoming 2.0 set was a podcast and some deleted scenes that were suppose to be included. Hmm I don't think this bodes well for a full season release now or what. Maybe i won't wait after all, i dunno.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Aryn, they were actually missing 2 podcasts, on the final 2 episodes. I'm going to guess that Moore hadn't recorded them by the time they needed to finalize the set. "Pegasus" is the only episode without deleted scenes.

Yes, they've pretty much confirmed that there will be a 2.5 (or whatever) release. I didn't think that was much of a surprise though.

Gord

Chad E

Stunt Coordinator
OK... I was out tonight looking for Twilight Zone Season 5 (no luck). However, I did manage to find something surprising: Battlestar Galactica Season 2.0!

As indicated upthread, this title was supposed to be delayed in Canada until after Space aired the show. I guess the word didn't quite make it to all stores. I don't want to name the store, as technically the studio could consider it breaking street date by four months! ;) (Although, this store will often import items that are hard to find up here, so I suspect that's what happened... since they couldn't order it here, they probably imported it from the States.)

I'm really glad I found it, although I suspect I paid a premium over what Future Shop will eventually charge when they get it in. Now, I want to just tear into it and start watching... but I guess I'm a bit concerned. There was speculation above that perhaps Canada would get a single "season 2" set, as opposed to the 2.0 and 2.5 the U.S. is getting. Is this a possibility? I'm assuming we'll get 2.0 & 2.5, since Amazon.ca has a listing for 2.0 (although no price or street date). But I guess I just don't want to get stuck rebuying the first half of season 2 because we only get one "combined" set.

Does anyone know what Uni's plans are for BSG in Canada? Thanks in advance for any info.

(And why did Uni decide to delay BSG 2.0 in the first place? Did Space put pressure on them? Season 1 of Stargate: Atlantis premiers up here a week or two after BSG season 2, and we've had those DVDs available (from MGM) since November...)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

The 45 minute podcast for the 45 minute version of Pegasus may never be on DVD. I say this becayse the eventual release of Battlestar Galactica 2.5 will contain the expanded version of Pegasus (and the rest of the second season). Chances are he'll record a new one for the longer version.

So, best to download that podcast and the one before it.

Although...opinion follows:

I am getting tired of Moore's podcasts on the DVDs. At first I appreciated them, but after listening to most of the second season's podcasts I've realized that he doesn't have much to say about the filming of any of the episodes.

He's involved in the script process so he talks a lot about what pages were cut. But actual insight into the filming just isn't there. Maybe he isn't on the set or something.

I dearly wish that some podcasts or commentary tracks would be recorded with people involved in the show *other than* Moore. The directors of the episodes, for example. Maybe we'll have to wait for the eventual BluRay releases to have proper commentaries by cast and crew?

Also, although it is surely not his intention, the podcasts, when presented on DVD, come across as kind of ego-centric since he is the only voice commenting on the show. (Aside from the mini when he had a couple colleagues over for the group commentary -- and the SciFi website says that Eick is also on the commentaries for Home I & II, although my DVD box doesn't say that...haven't gotten to them yet).

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
it sounds like Moore is in love with the sound of his own voice. They shouldn't have included those on the DVD's because I didn't find them all that enlightening. I mean, when they included the Webcasts during EPisode 1-3 and included those on the DVD's, at least they weren't concentrated mainly on George Lucas. You got a real sense of the scope of their filming for the first three epsiodes but with Moore's Podcasts he just seems to have a very big ego on having his voice being heard by everyone he can suck in.

While he's not bad for a director there should have been a little more than just him doing those PC's.

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
Directors aren't all that important on a TV series. It's not like a movie where the Director controls most of the production. He has very strict guidelines he as to follow for the look and feel of the show. Most of the creative decisions are done by the producer, the show's creator (often also the producer), script editor, and main writers. Everyone else just fills in the blanks.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

But they'd have memories of the making of the episode, whereas Moore does not (thanks Kevin for the info).

And you're understating the importance of at least one of the directors - Michael Rymer. He created the directorial style (that Moore requested) on the mini series, and then returned now and then to do some episodes. I'm not sure if he did any season two episodes, but he did the season one finale Kobol's Last Gleaming.

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
Certainly some directors have more influence than others. Case in point: Quentin Tarantino's 2-part episode "Grave Danger" on CSI. He was allowed quite a bit of creative freedom on that episode. But, that was the exception instead of the rule.

However, I'm guessing that most series have two or three main directors that have more creative influence than others. The rest probably don't do too much more than say "action" and "cut". Of course, I'm exaggerating a little, but I think you get the point.

Every episode has its own style. How easy it is to identify that style (apart from the general tone of the series) depends on the quality of the director, the restrictions placed on the director, and the requirements of that story.

Sounds like Michael Rymer might be one of the chief directors for the series. It's possible he might have something good to say. Outside of him it's probably more trouble than its worth for the studio to round up the individual directors to get their comments.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Just to be clear, I'd be happy to get a commentary track from the show's caterer if he or she happened to be present during the filming of the episode and can relate some interesting stories about the production. The directors would seem to be in a good position to have the most to say, since they'd have been present during the filming of nearly every scene. Actors or other crew would be welcomed.

The rapid turn around (from airing to DVD) of Galactica has no doubt been why we only hear Moore's podcasts on these DVDs. The cast and crew are busy making the next episodes; they've no time to sit down and record commentaries. This is unfortunate.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter

I just finished watching Season 2.0, and I know that Michael Rymer directed "Scattered", "Valley of Darkness", and "Pegasus". Rymer has also directed the two-part "Resurrection Ship", wrote the teleplay for Part 1 based on Anne Coffel Saunders' story, and co-wrote Part 2 with Ron Moore.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Quick question about Kobol's Last Gleaming Pt. 2. This show's film is often manipulated to make the planets like alien or different, so I'm wondering if Kobol was supposed to look an unnatural shade of green in this episode. I've got my TV configured with Avia, but it looked in those shots like the color needed to come way down. I didn't mess with it, because it would have made other shots look bad and I suspect that's how it was supposed to look. Any idea?

Greg_W

Stunt Coordinator

Ron Moore mentions this in the podcasts. The scenes on Kobol and the forest scenes on caprica were shot in basically the same location and then color adjusted in post-production.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Deciding to take the plunge, I finally decided to pick up Season 1 of this new Battlestar Galactica series. While I can understand why everyone seems to think this series is better than the original it simply is not better but stands on its own two feet separate from the original series. The sets, originality and format of the show is truly unique and takes a hard look at how this series can be interpreted as a real "Sci-Fi Military" series, the kind that hasn't been scene since Babylon 5. This is the type of series that fans of writers such as David Webber and John Ringo.

The biggest problem I had with Season 1 of this series is the choice of Ronald Moore as director. Most sci-fi fans know that there is an element of action involved with any type of entertainment based in the genre of science fiction. There seems to be a lack of it in this series. While it's true that with this genre of entertainment that action only accounts for a small part of a movie or series but I noticed a lack of action and more drama than anything else. I understand Moore's reasoning on wanting to concentrate more on the story and the characterization but sci-fi fans are particular when it comes to wanting to see more action in their favourite shows.

The mini series had enough actionin it to help move the story along. The Season 1 episodes seemed to lack this. Not only this but there were a number of things from Season 1 that Moore moved too quickly on such as Lt. Starbuck's reaction to leave the crew on the planet without so much as to why, leaving the viewer to guess why she acted this way, taking the viewer and slapping them in the face as it seems out of character for Starbuck because there was no indication in earlier episodes that hinted she would do such a thing. The biggest distraction of all was the lack of Apollo or Starbuck in a few of the episodes near the end of the season.

While this series seems decent enough and I'll managa to pick up the Season 2 sets to see how this series continues to develop, Universal should have given this series to someone more experienced and who has a bigger understanding of the core of the characters. I left myself open to the possibility of Boomer and Starbuck as a woman, something I held in reserve, but after seeing their performances, Katee Sackhoff and Jamie Bambier were excellent as Starbuck and Apollo.

I think Moore did miscast with the character of Laura Roslyn. Mary McDonnell just doesn't hit it off for me. Add to the fact that her acting seems a little stiff is something I could shake a stick at. The casting for these roles was right on the money with the exception of Laura Roslyn which I've come to hate with the end of Season 1. For a leader of a government to attempt to take control of the military like she did, and added to the fact that her acting seems rather stiff, she just doesn't seem believable.

Otherwise, if I were to rate this series I'd give it a 3.5 out of five stars. I'm sure that some of you will disagree but when it comes to science fiction Moore just doesn't seem capable or maybe he doesn't have a qualified crew working with him. All in all, I'm looking forward to seeing how Season 2 turns out.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Moore's not a director; he's an executive producer, developer and writer for the series. We'll have to agree to disagree about his merits as a writer -- I always looked forward to his Trek stories and I like his take on BG.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I thought he was the director. At any rate, it was too confusing the way they kept flashing back and forth from Caprica to the escaping fleet with no explanation of where the human survivors went after Helo decided to stay behind.

At any rate, check this out guys:

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index...d=34883&type=0

Apparently the Sci Fi Magazine is giving away a free download for the battlestar Galactica series entitled "Downloaded" through the iTunes website. Check out the article.

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
Wow, I can't disagree more. I think that Mary McDonnel is excellent, and I find none of the cutting confusing. I also think that the first season (through the current season) improves upon the mini-series.

Just my (and probably the majority) opinion...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks