What's new

New Battlestar Galactica series..Any news of a dvd release? (1 Viewer)

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

I think you need to read a greater variety of SF. Of the Big 3 authors, Heinlein's the only one who wrote action-oriented stories. Asimov had occasional fisticuffs and some chase sequences, but battles always occured off-stage. And Clarke ... he wrote entire novels in which the biggest action sequence was someone taking a ship to the moon. Then there are numerous modern SF authors (Egan, MacLeod, Stross) who write books with less action than a typical episode of BSG.

If you move to media SF, two of the best movies have no major action sequences -- 2001 and Gattaca -- and many more keep it to the bare minimum (The Day the Earth Stood Still, Dark City, 12 Monkeys).

If you want action, go back to the original series. If you want a serious examination of thorny ethical issues, watch the new.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I read novels from the biggest names in the sci fi genre. Arthur C Clark, Isaac Asimov, Piers Anthony, Marion Bradley. While I agree with you that sci fi novels are like that there are legions of fans that would disagree with you.

But, I see the point you are making. Dark City is a classic sci fi film and so is the Day the Earth Stood Still. But, most classic sci fi epiocs were created back during the origins of when sci fi was being established. But, since the new Battlestar Galactica is considered new and updated sci fi, they can't rely just on storylines.

Moore needs to inject something into the series and if this series is dealing more with thorny ethical issue than dealing with the overall storyline of the survival of the human race. Battlestar Galactica, at its core, is about the survivor of the human race on the run from a far superior force. It's not about "thorny ethical issues."

While those are fairly reasonable plot devices, I think he's dealing more with characterization for the series than with what this series is truly about: survival. He does need to inject more action into the series. Now, I'm not saying he needs to add a lot of action, just a bit more than what has previously been seen. Bear in mind that I haven't seen anything from Season 2 yet.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
The fact that BSG is drama over action is why I like it so much. Action is a dime a dozen, and not all that interesting.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I would not be as ethusiastic about tuning in every week if all I was getting was Viper dogfights or characters throwing cowboy punches. I like that the series is more mature and thoughtful than most science fiction shows have been. It's easily one of the best things the genre has ever produced.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I don't even know where to start with all this.

Re: action. If BSG had been or turned into Enterprise/Voyager with their mandated action sequences in every show, I would be the first person to tune out. It's wholly unnecessary and, nine times out of ten, you don't need action to propel a story. The impetus to watch should be the storyline, the characters and the writing...not seeing pretty explosions.

Re: cutting to Caprica. Wait a minute, how in the world did it make you confused? I thought it was the simplest thing to figure out. Nearly all shows and movies cut to other locations for their storylines. The only way I can see it being confusing is if you're not paying attention.

Re: Ron Moore. He knows what he is doing. He has a very able cast and crew working with him. If some things don't quite measure up, remember that everything has a part that is "subpar". He knows his way around the characters and storylines. Zero complaints there.

Re: the cast. Nope, nothing wrong there either. Roslin is a woman with a lot on her mind: cancer, keeping humanity going, the Cylons. And then she has an adversarial relationship with Adama. I think McDonnell brings grace and a very strong female lead to the show, which could be conceived of as a male-centric story.

Entertainment, at its core, is about a story. And stories are at their best when they say something (whether we agree with it or not). BSG does say something about hard choices, ethics and personal demons in nearly every episode. And it does it without sex and lots of violence. I'm happy.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member

Just to clarify this point. There is no weekly fictional show (that I know of) that has a single director. They usually have a semi-regular group of directors that rotate episodes (since it takes so long to prepare for and shoot a single episode).

In television, it's usually the producers/writers that are in charge of a show's direction. Oh, and I also think Moore is doing a fine job.

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor

Once you watch Season 2, you will understand why these two aspects (survival of human race and ethical issues) are not mutually exclusive. Its quite brilliant how Moore has integrated the two aspects IMO.

Andy

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I, too, love it as a character driven show. It's very refreshing from all of the action driven shows out there. If I need an action fix I'll watch Stargate.

Not enough sex on BSG, though. ;)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
So, when can Season 2.5 be expected? About three months from now (since 2.0 ended in Sept. and came out in Dec.)? I've watched the show on DVD and am now waiting for the rest.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I have to admit that while I did enjoy the first season the only real problem I found is that it's impossible to sit and watch any particular episode because each episode is tied into another and actually have to watch the series from beginning to end, just like Lost.

The series just seems to formulic and seems to feel more like space opera.

My opinion may change after I watch the second season. Bear in mind that I'm basing my current opinion on just Season 1, as I've only seen those episodes.

Season 1 is very entertaining though and there are some standout episodes such as the two-parter dealing with Starbuck's tension training the new viper pilots (Act of Contrition and You Can't Go Home Again).:D

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

See, the problem with that statement is that there is no formula for BSG. I, for one, do not want another Voyager where things that happened last episode or two seasons ago don't count. That's crap. If you want something you can jump into at any point, watch that.

What's the problem with shows where you have to watch every week? People can't program VCR's or have TiVO's or whatever??? It's a copout since most shows that have an ongoing storyline like BSG involve higher level brain functions in order to really get it. And a lot of people just don't want to expend that energy on TV.

I missed two or three shows near the end of S2.0 and refused to watch the new season until I got caught up. I did a mini-marathon on New Year's Eve, got caught up and have watched every show of this block when it came on.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I think everyone is taking my words out of context.

My initial comments were that the series is unique and very interesting to watch. It sets itself apart from the original series and can actually be seen as a sequel, or a direct follow-up to the original series.

Secondly, there's nothing wrong with having action, drama and some kind of engaging dialogue. Battlestar Galactica just suffers from inept script-writing and some simplistic acting. Laura Roslin, Duella, Billy, Calli just seem added to the cast as a way to switch the focus or cut between scenes.

Duella seems to have no role except for when they need to cut to another person asking for confirmation of an order. The fact that the Billy character is no longer an issue seems to state that the producers are starting to correct some problems with the minor characters. Billy just seemed like the new "Wesley Crusher" type character that seems to plague just about every Sci Fi series.

With Star Trek TNG it was Wesley Crusher, with Deep Space Nine it was Jake Sisko, seaQuest DSV it was Lucas Wolenczak.

I'm not saying that the series isn't worth picking up, I found the first season quite enjoyable and entertaining. I just think that there are evident flaws in the series that need to be worked on and addressed.

Andy_Bu

Supporting Actor

By the way, and maybe it is just my opinion, but a "reset button" type show is the definition of formula in American TV. Not a show like BSG with a continuing connected storyline.

Andy

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell

Whoa! That's one statement I have to whole-heartedly disagree with. The writing and acting are two of the top strengths of the show. And they're both better than 99% of TV sci-fi I've seen through the years.

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

Lucas and Wesley are nothing like Jake and Billy. The first two were know-it-all kids who'd pop up at the last minute with a bit of technobable to resolve the plot (in Wesley's case, he was clearly a Mary Sue for Gene Wesley Roddenberry). Billy and Jake are the farthest things from know-it-alls. Jake was a realistic kid, who existed to underline the fact that DS9 was supposed to be a frontier settlement. He never solved any plots, except maybe his own storylines, and certainly never came up with any technical solutions. (If DS9 had a Wesley, it was Nog, especially in the later sesaons.) The same is true for Billy, except he could barely handle is own subplots.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Hmph, I said in one of my first posts about the series on DVD that I didn't have time to watch the show. Most of my time watching TV Shows on DVD comes from beingh able to watch them on DVD. With newer shows like Gilmore Girls, Smallville, Lost, Battlestar Galactica, Andromeda, Desperate Housewives comes from the DVD's. Since I work third shift, from 4AM to noon, I don't have time to watch network television.

I never said that Battlestar Galactica was a bad series, and maybe my sentiments toward the writers was a little harsh but my views on some of the characters don't just come from me. Take a look:

http://battlestarfanclub.com/battlestar/bgneweps2.htm

The First Season has it flaws, many of them observant ones. Matter of fact, all this thread seems to be about is overgratifying this series. The series seems to be more like a soap opera than anything else.

Really? I've said it several dozen times already that I haven't watched a single episode on television that I've only watched Season 1 so far. Perhaps if you've bothered to read any of my posts you may have actually noticed this admission and the admission that I said the series is entertaining to watch. However, as I continue to say, I have yet to watch Season 2 and this new series isn't the be-all or end-all of every show.

Season 2 may correct some of my misgivings but as I've said, I haven't watched any of the episodes yet. But, I stick to my earlier appraisals that the Laura Roslyn character seems too much like a one-dimensional character.

TedT

Second Unit

He's GOT to be talking about the '70s version. Not the new one. If he is, he's obviously never seen it.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
slightly off topic, but does anyone know if the BSG is a real motion control model, or all CGI?

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Quoting from a site that is a temple to the Original Series and did nothing but denigrate the new series, every character, and every storyline for months does little to support an argument. The main argument for most of the original posters on that sight was to constantly denigrate the New Series because it wasn't a Faithful rendition to the original covenant or a continuation of the old storyline. Many of the arguments stem from the proposal to rescue the old series by Hatch and Benedict which never got off the ground. There was apparently a lot of hard feelings from the 'fans' of the old series who felt either left out or just plain betrayed by Ron Moore, etc.

The idea of listing the New Series as Season 3 and 4 is almost laughable. The review of "33" should just about say it all. There are many things I might say about the show, but "Boring" is just not a word to describe that show in particular.

Everyone's opinion is what it is, but this is almost like going back and reading the HTF thread from Season 1 again and that site was often used as a club to anyone who even halfway liked the New Series. Heaven help anyone who dared to say the new series was even marginally equal to the old one much less Head and Shoulders superior. And yes I'm old enough to have watched the original and enjoyed it as a college student.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Mark if you dont like BSG please dont try Firefly, Farscape, Babylon 5, or Lost. All these shows have story arcs that take many episodes to resolve. Now in MY opinion DVD is perfect for these shows because i can follow the story in order, watch as little or as much as i want, and not worry about missing an episode and getting lost. I dont get lost anyway, TiVo is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy. :)
But really Mark if BSG is not your bag, fine. You dont HAVE to like it, but the reasons you dont like it just dont gel.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks