What's new

New Battlestar Galactica series..Any news of a dvd release? (1 Viewer)

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
GAH! Has Universal Flipped? I just checked the Best Buy site along with the Circuit City site and I'm floored. For Season 2, they are advertising the next set at $39.99. That's what they advertised the first Season for and the second set has fewer episodes.:angry:

Excuse me while I laugh ... :b

By the way, I was hoping to buy this next set at a reasonable price and hoping to find the first season on eBay for a reasonable price.:emoji_thumbsup:

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Mark, for Universal the price stucture on a second TV set seems to always hold true even if one of the sets has fewer episodes. I bought Northern Exposure in the $30 range for the first 3 seasons. But the catch, season 1 and 2 only have 7 or 8 episodes per set. Season 3 has 22, and is also $30. When Universal finds a price they like it doesnt matter how many episodes are in a season.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Without sounding like an old record I was hoping that Universal would have struck a thought and adjusted the price due to the amount of content. That's almost like the $80 that was being asked for the First Season of Oz.

I'm sure, while the rest of you might get tired of hearing this, might agree with me that this pricing structure leaves a lot to be desired.

Universal really needs to rethink its retail plans because the prices they are charging per episode are about $4-5 per episode. At least with shows like X-Files, Andromeda, Farscape, I know I'm getting the best quality for my entertainment dollar.

The best argument I can offer is that while Universal may not wish to adjust its pricing structure they need to be more concerned with bringing more fans into the series. With 13 Episodes on Season 1 and 10 Episodes with the first part of the Second Season for the same pricing structure ($50 at Best Buy for both sets).

While I've still yet to experience any of these episodes, I have actually spent quite a bit of money on DVD's these past few weeks. Nearly $250. While I would have swerved toward the new BG series I have actually turned my attention to new DVD titles such as Lois and Clark Season 1, Gilmore Girls Seasons 1 - 4, Lost Season 1, Smallville Season 1 and I plan on also picking up Smallville Seasons 2-4.

I know the first thing I look at, before I purchase a DVD, is the price of the DVD whether it's a movie or a set. This is the first thing I check. If the price is within my budgetary means then I take a look at the packaging for the set. While most of you may be pondering why someone would skip a series like this the main thing that always convinces me to purchase a DVD item is the content.

I think Universal would see higher ratings in the broadcasted series if the set were priced more reasonable. Hopefully, that listed priced will drop the closer we get to the release date otherwise I'll just stick to the original series and the Movie PIlot I bought on DVD.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

Yes, we're all sick of hearing it, so shut up and find something constructive to do. You keep quoting prices and this and that and you have completely ignored information about other sets that include fewer episodes and cost more. We've heard you say the same thing over and over and over and over and over, and I'm sure I'm not the only one that's sick of hearing about it.

You won't buy BSG because you don't like the price; okay, we get it! Move on.

Gord!

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Gord, with all due respect. Spare us your sanctimonious bullshit. I posted a pure consutructive message and all you do is bitch about what I posted. Grow up. TV Shows on DVD is know for getting free preview copies of these shows so they don't have to pay for them. Hyping these shows up and getting paid by the studios sending you guys copies in return for payment. It's just as bad as Harry Knowles/Ain't it Cool News getting paid by Hollywood for hy6ping their properties being produced and like Ebert at the Movies and his sponsors at Disney.

Man, like I didn't see that coming.

Inistead of backing up the valid post I made about pricing structures and defending the point I was trying to relay:

"these studios adjusting the prices on DVD sets in order to attract more fans to the series instead of gouging and raising prices on their sets with less content" (much like what Warner did with their recent limited price cut)

... you sit there and spreading your "BLAH BLAH BLAH's" instead of rationing the argument I posed? TV Shows on DVD has become a very popular site and I respect that but please oh please oh please, at least give some credence to the point I tried to bring up instead of throwing a temper tantrum like a three year old who can't get his way.

Man, talk about being surrounded by a 300 Pound Faerie.

By the way, Warner Bros recent price cut? This will generate more sales for their titles and br8ing in more viewers to their currently running shows. I watch Gilmore Girls and Smallville now when I didn't before. But Universal? I guess TV Shows on DVD is in bed with Universal ... Hey, are you guys getting some ass from them as well?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Most online retailers are advertising a lower price for the season 2 sets, among them Amazon and DeepDiscount. Depends where you look. I never much cared for Best Buy or CC.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

Don't you mean the quantity of the content? Its certainly not quality- I'd take 13 episodes of Battlestar Galactica over 22 episoes of most other shows.

Kenneth Bova

Agent
There is nothing wrong with the prices for these sets. Look at what's being included on them: Featurettes, alternate audio tracks, anamorphic video and ridiculous amounts of deleted scenes. It's not like Universal is recording the episodes to DVD-Rs and charging $50. There's no question that the work that goes into these sets is worth it.

Console games usually cost $50 for a 3 hour game or a 20 hour game. Big deal. That's just the way it is.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Mark, what I wrote has absolutely nothing with me running TVShowsOnDVD.com so I have no idea why you brought that up. I buy DVDs too, even some TV sets, but that has nothing to do with what I wrote.

I addressed your pricing concerns back in post 186 (http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...26#post2806926) which you ignored. There are LOTS of sets that cost more money than BSG, sometimes for fewer episodes. As for the temper tantrum...you're the one crying over the price of the set (in TEN posts: 184, 188, 200, 211, 214, 220, 224, 253, 270, and 304).

Everyone in the thread knows you don't like the price. You should be posting about the price in "Studio Feedback"; that's why it's there.

Anyway, I'm done.

Gord

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Any News Yet as to whether Season 2 will be released in one complete set later next year? or are they just gonna release the 2nd-half of the season in it's own box? or both?

It would be nice if Universal would let us know upfront. If it's going to be half-season releases fine, but just let us know so we can determine whether to buy the set in december or wait for the complete set. Is it that hard to do atleast that ?

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, just thought I'd post this information:

Battlestar Galactica DVD Menu Shots

Thought you guys might want to see these menu shots. A special look at the special features includes an array of deleted scenes:

Scattered
Valley of Darkness
Fragged
Resistance

The Farm
Home Part 1
Home Part 2
Final Cut
Flight of the Phoenix

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Of course, if you read that news story it makes it clear that the current season, both the July-Sept half and the upcoming half in January, are indeed one 20 Episode Season Two. Now the show is renewed for a 20 Episode Season Three. Guess that kinda knocks out the theory that Season 2 was only these 10 Episodes. :D

Now if Universal will only be so kind as to release a box set containing the entire Season 2.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, Cho at a whopping $129.99 for the set ... ehehe ... they have to make their money back from everyone not buying the sets (and njo, I'm going that route again either).:D

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
It would, but then Universal would lose a lot of money on the first half because everyone would wait for the combined set.

My guess is that there will no combined box of season 2, but there could be a "two-fer" pack that would include both boxes, kind of like Paramount sells the first four seasons of CSI in one shrinkwrap.

Sebastien S

Second Unit
One thing though (I'm just joining the thread so this may already have been addressed?)...

For those in the U.S., you have already seen these episodes (season 2). However, in Canada they haven't aired yet. They are scheduled to air on one of our chanels called "Space" in January.

We have a similar situation with "The Dead Zone". U.S. viewers get to see the show durring the summer while we see it in the fall. We started season 4 on October 1st.

However, "The Dead Zone" season sets don't come out until the show has finished airing in both the U.S. & Canada.

If this set actually comes out up here in December, then the "Space" chanel (who I know went to great deals and probably paid a pretty penny to get the exclusive rights to the first Canadian showing/airing of this show) just basically got screwed big time! It's just bad planing, plain and simple. Nobody will bother to watch the show every week on their station because they will already have seen it on DVD!!!

Now on another note...

I too would like to know if they will eventually release a "complete season 2" set (maybe next year)? If so then some of us may wish to wait... If not then we'll just get it now and eventually get the "season 2 part 2" or "season 2.5" or whatever...

P.S.

I really love the show and have no problems what so ever with the price tags of these sets.

Sebastien S

Second Unit
I had this on pre-order with futureshop.ca and yesterday without warning, they cancelled my order and no longer have it in their listings...

I have now re-ordered with amazon.ca but I wonder if something's up with that?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks