What's new

Need tips for using Adobe Premiere... (1 Viewer)

Luc D

Second Unit
I'm looking to dump my film (timeline) back onto a dv tape. Someone mentioned to me that there are different ways to export it and it could have an effect on the quality of the image.

I'm still pretty new to Premiere so any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
The two major ways of exporting in Premiere are:

playing direct from the timeline to the firewire card.

rendering the file as a DV format and then using the print to video option.

If you have raw DV footage with no effects in the timeline (and all your audio is the right sample rate and bit depth), you should be able to play direct from the timeline without issue. Most people I know, even if they have transitions- they simply render out the short transition and drop that back into the timeline to avoid rendering the whole project out.

But, as long as you have all the right file settings, you should have no quality loss either way.

-V

Luc D

Second Unit
Ok, let me first apologize for being such a newbie.

This is my first time working with Premiere and so I'm learning as I go along. I kind of assumed that all you had to do was connect the camera to my firewire card and go to export timeline, and export to tape. Now I do have a certain amount of effects, are you saying that if I don't "render" the footage then it wont copy it correctly?

Actually, the concept of rendering is still kind of a mystery to me. I'm also working without the instruction manual and I've learned what I need so far from the online help guide. But the rendering stuff is something I'm having trouble grasping.

Also, what's the difference between Print to video and Export to tape?

I haven't really toyed with the settings much, leaving them more or less at default. Is this a mistake?

Luc D

Second Unit
Ok, now I have a problem. I did the export to tape option and it worked.

However, when editing my film I noticed that many of the shots (especially those that had movement) were choppy. I figured this was simply due to my computer, but this choppiness has transferred itself back onto the DV tape, and so a lot of my footage is choppy. Now I'm worried because I'm thinking this could have happened during the capture process. But again, I'm new to Premiere and so I'm not sure.

Anybody know what's wrong?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
How big/fast is your hard drive? Did it report any dropped frames during capture of the raw footage? Remember, your HD MUST be able to support 3.5MBps transfer rate sustained for DV. Any HD bought in the last year or so should be OK

Luc D

Second Unit
It did report dropped frames. My hard drive should be fine, the footage is saved on my new one which I got in January.

Kris McLaughlin

Stunt Coordinator
Luc, make sure DMA is enabled for your hard drive. This is often the difference between choppy and smooth playback.

(Windows Control Panel -->System --> Hardware tab --> Device Manager --> IDE/ATAPI controllers --> right click on "primary IDE channel" and make sure it says "DMA if available". Repeat for "secondary IDE channel" and reboot.)

I hope this is of some use to you, good luck!

Luc D

Second Unit
There doesn't appear to be any DMA option.

I've been going through the program again and I think that I may have found the problem, but again I'm not sure. When I captured the footage, I just let it run until it reached the file size limit. Now I had gaps in the timecode on my DV tape and did not think that it would be a problem during the capture stage. I don't know if that's what caused it.

Could it also have to do with the time display I've chosen? I've left it as it was, 30fps Drop-Frame Timecode. Could that have anything to do with it?

Luc D

Second Unit
Ok, I have a new problem. The Export is working but for some reason about halfway through the speed increases (it just goes hyper). I thought maybe it was the camera so I used another one but I still get the same problem.

Any help or advice will be much appreciated as I'm pressed for time.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Do you have your CD-ROM drive as a slave on your HD? If so, move it to the secondary IDE channel, because that could be causing it/

Drop-Frame timecode does not mean to drop actual frames. NTSC video runs at 29.97 FPS, so to keep a base 30frames/sec you skip the NUMBER 30 in the timecode every 20-30 seconds to make up for the discrepancy.

Luc D

Second Unit
The I managed to solve the sound problem I mentioned earlier by converting all of my audio tracks into one and since then the "fast-forward" problem during export seems to be gone. But the audio still chops up during certain points in the export. I've tried playing around with the interleave but there has been little difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks