What's new

Need sub help (1 Viewer)

Vince Antrim

Agent
I've done some searching on here, but haven't really found a definitive answer on the MTX sub line. I'm heading out tomorrow to probably get the MTX 12", but want to make sure it is going to sound good with HT. Right now I have an OLD RCA 8" sub, and it's ok, but nothing to brag about. A buddy just got the same sub, and it sounded really good, and he has an Aiwa reciever. I have an H/K AVR325, so I should be golden as well, but I don't want to get it, and find it sucks. Any help would be great!

Thanks guys in advance

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Any particular reason why you've chosen the MTX? Just as an example, the JBL S120 has been documented as a very good performer and it is in the $350 range on line now. And ONECALL has the JBL D112s refrubed for $158 too. That is a screaming deal if you don't mind the refurb tag.

Tom V.
SVS

Vince Antrim

Agent
Price. Just bought a house, a truck, got married back in October, etc. Plus, in a few months, student loans staring me down. Other than that, I just liked the sound, I guess, and have been putting it off for over a year, and my wife said to go and buy the damn things, so I'd shut up about it. :)

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Is it priced comparably to the units I listed? I always have a hard time recommending anything that doesn't have some sort of objective performance data available on it. The two units I listed did very well when Tom Nousaine measured them. I'm not sure if the 12" MTX has ever been reviewed?

Tom V.
SVS

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Well you have the HK 325 so you have allot going for you right there. No mention of speakers though but thats not your question.

With a 35 to 160 freq response at $200 >MTX) I would go with the DLS from PE. http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...=300-632&DID=7

I did a little comparison with the first DLS model that came out up against the Sony WM-40 and it faired out better imo. The DLS will go down to 27-28 with a little authority.

Bernie_A

Stunt Coordinator
Wow....that's a great price for the JBL PSWD112 at onecall. How about getting 2 of them and stacking them..for less than $400! What do you think?

Vince Antrim

Agent
Got the MTX, and after screwing around with different settings (fronts set to small;lfe;lfe + l/r), I've found the lfe setting works the best, with the most bass, and the cleanest sound. The 12" MTX, along with my old crappy 8", wow, it is enough to shake your ass on the couch and vibrate wedding pictures off the wall. One question though. My wife and I watched the Lion King last night, and I noticed that when Mufasa, voiced by James Earl Jones, speaks, the sub would vibrate a little. Is this normal, given Jones VERY deep voice, or is the gain set to high. Other than that, every movie I tried sounded great.

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Vince,

If you calibrated by ear, the gain is probably too high. It sounds like your next purchase should be an SPL meter and a disk like Avia to properly calibrate your gear.

-Robb

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
To my knowledge, neither of those stores has the Avia disk. If you go to http://www.svsubwoofers.com/faq.htm#meter there is a nice description (with links) for using an SPL meter. You could use the internal test tones from your receiver for a start (which would be better than going by ear) but using a test disk would be better. Here is a link to Avia at Amazon.com (by the way, I have no idea of Amazon has the best price you could find on this disk).

-Robb

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks