What's new

Need Recommendations for a Region Free 4k 3D Blu-Ray Player (1 Viewer)

Larry Scott

Auditioning
Real Name
Larry Scott
About 2 years ago I purchased a LG 4K 3D TV model 60UH85, with a 60” screen. I love 3D movies. Unfortunately, there is a lot of motion blur when I play a 3D blu-ray. I use a X Box One S to play discs. I do not notice the motion blur when I am playing 2D videos. Also, the problems do not occur for the most part when I am watching a 3D film from HBO on demand. I am looking to purchase a region free blu-ray player that also plays 4K and 3D discs. I will further mention that although the X Box One is supposed to play 4K blu-rays, when I have attempted to play a 4K disc on it, the image does not look as sharp as it should. I don’t think this is a problem with my LG TV because when I watch a 4K video from Youtube it is very sharp and bright. I am curious if anyone has experienced the same problems that I have had with 3D and 4K discs. I am hoping that my TV is not the problem. I would also greatly appreciate any recommendations for region free blu-rays players, especially those that do not have the types of problems that I have described.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Welcome Larry - There is no region coding on UHD discs. For Blu Ray playback there are many options. I have the Oppo 203 which can easily be made region agnostic but there are other [cheaper] alternatives. I would check Amazon.

Meanwhile, you probably need to delve into the 3D menu on your XBOX to resolve the motion blur issues.

Larry Scott

Auditioning
Real Name
Larry Scott
Welcome Larry - There is no region coding on UHD discs. For Blu Ray playback there are many options. I have the Oppo 203 which can easily be made region agnostic but there are other [cheaper] alternatives. I would check Amazon.

Meanwhile, you probably need to delve into the 3D menu on your XBOX to resolve the motion blur issues.
Thank you for your suggestions.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I purchased this LG from Amazon to replace my Oppo and have been very happy with it so far:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B077KM7DMM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
FYI, that player doesn't handle 4K/UHD discs, which the OP was looking for. Personally, I think a better approach would be to buy a region-free BD/DVD player like this one and a separate player for 4K/UHD discs. That way, there is no concern about firmware updates needed for the newer UHD format affecting region-free playback of BDs and DVDs.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
FYI, that player doesn't handle 4K/UHD discs, which the OP was looking for. Personally, I think a better approach would be to buy a region-free BD/DVD player like this one and a separate player for 4K/UHD discs. That way, there is no concern about firmware updates needed for the newer UHD format affecting region-free playback of BDs and DVDs.

Thanks for pointing this out Scott. I missed that part of the OP, and I agree with you.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Doesn't Sony still use a different variant for Dolby Vision on its 4K sets? If so, that means you will need either a Sony, Panasonic, or Pioneer 4K player that is compatible with Sony's different Dolby Vision implementation. Oppo also was equipped to handle the different Sony version of Dolby Vision, but they are no longer being manufactured and the ones on Ebay are astronomical in price.

YANG

Screenwriter
FHDBD multi region playability on UHD players is hard to crack. DVD wise,there are few models in the market to buy,but the only and most common worry is that after an update,it‘ll reset the system to factory default.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
My 2 cents -- buy a separate Region Free Blu-ray player (much easier to find, cheaper, with/without 3D or 4K upscaling, no worry about modding the newer UHD unit, and a backup in case one goes down for some reason) and a separate good as you want 4K Player. If you are set on a region free UHD all in one, I'd look at the Sony's since I don't think anyone has figured out a way to make the better Panasonic's region free.

Best of all worlds would be one of the new Panasonic UHD players and an Oppo 93/103 with the region module added. Otherwise I've been pretty happy with my Sony 6700 region Free unit -- it's played everything, it's simple, it has a tiny footprint, and reasonable priced. Both the OPPO and Sony are hardware mods and firmware stable so no worries about updating.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks