What's new

Please recommend good but basic smart blu-ray player (1 Viewer)

tanaleaf

Agent
Real Name
tanaleaf
My old Sony “smart” player must be getting old. It keeps dropping the connection (in ways my other WiFi devices do not). SuddenIy I sometimes can’t get five or ten minutes through streaming without it crashing, and having to start over. So maybe it’s time for a new one?

I don’t need 4K or 3D or region-free. Just a good, solid player that is stable when streaming Netflix or Amazon Prime, and doesn’t have other issues. (I’ve read that new Sonys sometimes jam from “child lock” features, etc.)

Recommendations welcomed!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Honestly, I’d recommend getting a separate device for streaming. I am never happy with how the built-in apps work on any of my “smart” devices. The best experiences I’ve had with home theater come when I let the disc player play the discs, and let the streaming box (currently an AppleTV, but I’ve also had good experiences with Roku) do the streaming.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
What Josh said.
t.gif

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Honestly, I’d recommend getting a separate device for streaming. I am never happy with how the built-in apps work on any of my “smart” devices. The best experiences I’ve had with home theater come when I let the disc player play the discs, and let the streaming box (currently an AppleTV, but I’ve also had good experiences with Roku) do the streaming.
I agree 100%. If you are looking for a budget streamer, the Roku models are your best bet. The Roku Express is $30, while the new 4K Roku Premiere is just $40 and includes a new certified high speed HDMI cable. When you figure in the cost of the cable, it's almost a wash with the Express and future-proofs you in case you do upgrade to a 4K display. I own both models, and both work fine.

Like Josh, I prefer the Apple TV over the Roku, but it's a lot more expensive if you are looking to contain costs.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I will occasionally stream through one of my disc players (they all have the capability), but I'm always more pleased with the picture from the AppleTV 4K, so I also think you'll be happier with a separate streaming device. The Roku or the Amazon sticks are very inexpensive.

tanaleaf

Agent
Real Name
tanaleaf
Thanks for all the advice. I ended up getting a Roku Express, which I'm quite pleased with.

(Also had to pick up a cheap HDMI splitter, since adding the Roku alongside my cable box and blu-ray player gave me three sources, and my TV only has two HDMI inputs.)

tanaleaf

Agent
Real Name
tanaleaf
Followup question: I don’t see a power (on/off) switch or button on the Roku Express device itself, or on its remote control. Does this thing just stay “on” perpetually?

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
Followup question: I don’t see a power (on/off) switch or button on the Roku Express device itself, or on its remote control. Does this thing just stay “on” perpetually?
Don't know about the Roku, but if it's anything like the Amazon FireTV (I have the Stick model), the device goes to sleep after a set time left on the home screen or even an app screen with nothing playing. Meaning, it shuts off the signal to the TV until you wake it up with a button press (any button) on the remote.

I have 3 FireTV Sticks, and one of them will occasionally just not wake up. I have to reach behind the TV and pull the micro USB connector (this supplies the power) out from the device and plug it back in to force a re-boot. But then it's fine for another week or two before it decides to not wake up again.

tanaleaf

Agent
Real Name
tanaleaf
My Roku seems never to sleep. Whenever I switch the TV input to the Roku, its screen saver is on.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Yeah I think Roku sticks just "hibernate" when not in use for a certain amount of time.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Streaming devices typically have some power options in the setup menu, where you can adjust what levels of sleep, screen saver and so on, that you can set. I've never known any that had a physical power switch.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks