What's new
World Wide Stereo

Need help with Subwoofer settings (1 Viewer)

Chris:-/OV

Stunt Coordinator
This is my first post. Im 16 years old and I've built up a fairly good system. B&W DM603 S3 and B&W DM602 and a LCR600 all connected to a Denon AVR 3803. I need someone to explain to me in baby steps how to tune in my sub (Polk PSW450) with the rest of the system. How do I listen and when do i know if it is set correctly. For eg how does the crossover work and if a croosover setting is set on the amp(80Hz)must I still adjust it on the sub? Any help will be appreciated!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
I'd say it's a good system!

If a x-over is enabled on the receiver, you can turn up the xo knob to it's highest setting, or if the sub has a dedicated xo input, use that.

Otherwise, as far as tuning it to match the rest of the system, find a calibration disc and an SPL meter and go that route.

If you don't want to do that, just listen to music and bring the level up or down to taste. It's trial and error without a meter and disc.

The meter comes in really handy when adjusting phase. Using a test tone at or near the crossover point, adjust the phase so that the meter reads highest. My sub has an adjustable 0 to 180 sweep, and the meter's needle will sway as I go around the dial. I fix it to where the needle is highest, meaning the satellites and sub are in unison.

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply. So you say that if the if I use the LFE input on the sub I should put the Hz knob up all the way and just adjust the volume? But don't I adjust the crossover to different levels when I watch movies and when I listen to music?
On which level do I put the crossover when I want the really low bass in movies for explosions and where do I set it when I want tight bass for music?

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
If the sub is designed properly and is a good performer, it shouldn't need any crossover adjustment between the two.

But I understand your thinking. I would sometimes knock the crossover down for music, but really it isn't necessary and I haven't done it for quite a while. Trust the equipment. As long as the crossover in the receiver is working you should just tweak the sub level to taste and not worry about crossover. If the sound isn't pleasing, then work with placement, EQ, or upgrade.

Good luck!

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

Depends.

In my setup, I use source direct for 2-channel on a marantz reciever, which sends a full-range signal to everything (no bass management), so you MUST use a crossover on the sub, and mix it in with the mains.

For movies and the like, i take it out of source direct(thus changing the speakers all to small) and then manually disable the crossover on my SVS, and let it handle all the bass. You may want to do something like this.

An SPL meter is also extremely helpfu.

Stunt Coordinator
what do you mean when you say it sends full range signals to everything? (sorry, i'm a newbie)
When adjusting the sub, what does turning up the knob do and vice versa?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Well, your denon looks like it works differently than my marantz, so since i have limited experience with working Denons, I'll let someone else respond. You may want to look on page 50 of your manual (that's the page listed on the PDF i downloaded from their site. It lists info on 2-channel playback using Pure Direct and Direct modes.

It is unclear, but in the notes it says "the subwoofer's channel level must be set to 'off' in order to turn off the digital circuit in Pure Direct mode." You'll have to play around, or maybe someone else will answer whether or not it outputs sound via the sub out when in these modes. In this mode for 2-channel music you'd probably need to set the sub crossover, or it will sound bad, be localizable, etc.

As for movies, if you have the crossover set in the reciever, usually turning off the crossover on the sub(if a switch is available), or turning the crossover to it's maximum (highest) setting will suffice. Then you need to calibrate the volume, which you can fudge by ear, but I strongly reccomend you pick up an SPL meter and Avia or VE to calibrate both audio and video.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks