What's new

Need help with room setup... (1 Viewer)

SethC

Agent
OK, I am moving into a new place this weekend, and the room setup is a @#$*@ to deal with. As usual in most newer APT's and houses, the fireplace is in the exact spot that the TV would ideally be...

Anyways, attached is a quick picture of all the basic components, and I was hoping I could get some suggestions for layouts from you all!

I can't really put the TV on the left wall, because the "couch 1" would face away from the fireplace and "couch 2" would block access. I though about putting the TV in front of part of the "sliding glass door", but that would look kinda tack and block access to the back yard.

The cable input comes in from the TOP RIGHT CORNER currently. The TV and Component shelf would be somewhat crammed to fit in there for one. Also it puts the TV at an angle which I hate (but could live with if necessary). Lastly if I put the TV in the corner, how would I setup the 5.1 speakers? It seems the RIGHT FRONT CHANNEL would be blocked by the way the fireplace sticks out?

ACK!!

See my problem? Anyways, any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Seth,

You definitely have a tough situation there. My wife and I have decided if we ever move again, any place we consider to be home theater friendly. If not, it’s a deal breaker! :)

I think the layout in your picture (I had cut and paste the link from the little “x” in your first post) is about the only option you have. As you noted, you don’t want the fireplace behind the seating area, and you can’t put the TV in front of the fireplace.

Are you buying this place? If so you might consider in the future moving your back yard access to another wall (if that’s an option). This would make the full length of the wall where the sliding glass is at your disposal.

One thing's for sure: corner TV placement is the last thing you want to do. Totally unworkable for home theater. As you have already figured out, anything resembling optimal speaker placement is impossible.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

SethC

Agent
Sorry about the confusion...

COMP. is short for COMPONENTS.... not computer. Its a shelf w/ my receiver, DVD, GameCube, PlayStation, VCR etc on it...

Also, the items in the room are not how I will have them laid out. I jsut tossed in all the components that I will be using (couches, TV, Components, etc).

I basically am gonna move al the stuff around as I need....

Make sense? Here's what I am currently thinking....

http://www.neowin.net/forum/uploads/...1057362781.jpg

RED lines are from the speakers....

The lines by the TV are the front channels. Lines by the couches are the rear channels....

Any suggestions/thoughts?

Eric Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
I am moving into a place soon also and my future setup looks almost identical to yours with a few minor differences. From this setup and reading your post I am starting to see that home theater is hard to set up in most living room environments and what I have now (a rectangle room with a door and two windows was perfect for a 5.1 setup.

I will be curious to hear what you decide to do because I will need suggestions for my move next weekend. I am considering a few things at the moment. These ideas apply to both of our setups but maybe a little more so to mine for a few reasons I will include below.

1. Place the back of the T.V. so it faces the dining room and area and place my couch in front of the french doors (or for you sliding doors)

Cons: See the wires and back of T.V. from dining room area

2. Place the T.V. in front of the fireplace.

Cons: Can't use fireplace and may look a little stupid

3. Place the T.V. in front of one side of the french doors.

Cons: Don't know where I would place the left front speaker because the door is on that side and I would like to use it.

4. Place the T.V. in the corner (the upper right corner on your pic) and face my couch on an angle aiming at the T.V.

Cons: May look strange with a couch on an angle. Don't know how well the right front speaker will fit with the fireplace. (mine does not stick out like yours does) And probably couldn't use fireplace with a speaker that close.

Anyway there are my options I am sure all things you have thought about before. I would think that facing the T.V. away from the dining room area may work for you or possibly placing the T.V. in front of the sliding glass doors but off to the side you would not be using to enter or exit the room. Tell me your new thoughts on the arrangement and keep me updated on what you do because, like I said, I will be doing the same thing in a week. Loved the townhouse, hated the potential 5.1 disaster but got it anyway. Maybe I am going to learn my lesson the hard way. If all else fails though I will place the setup in the spare bedroom (last resort) Sorry for the long post, but found a person in a common situation and couldn't help myself. Good luck!

-Eric

SethC

Agent
The only negative I see about above is that on either couch, 1 rear channel speaker is properly place, but the other is basically coming from in front of you...

Here's the only other option I see, but it blocks part of the sliding glass door (which may look kinda tacky)!!

http://www.neowin.net/forum/uploads/...1057363820.jpg

I just dont have any other ideas...?

Eric Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
Seth,

Both of the links you provided send me to a page that states "you do not have permission to view this........"

Any thoughts on my suggestions at all for your benefit and mine?

-Eric

Ken-Ha

Grip
SethC, I don't know that is practical to you or not. If it was me I will get a front projection and place the screen in front of the fire place. When movie or TV time, just roll down the screen. Your current TV can go into your bed room or something. Just my 2cents
Good luck
Ken

SethC

Agent
That's an awesome idea, now I just nee you to loan me the $$ for a projector!!

:)

If I had unlimited bank, I'd probably get a plasma and mount it over the fireplace. But until I am deep in the bling bling cash monies, I will probably stick wtih what I got.

Thanks though!!

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks