What's new

need help with rears (paradigm adp vs mini/atom) (1 Viewer)

Jason->D

Stunt Coordinator
so once i get my monitor 5's back from repair i will be picking up my center and rears to complete my setup the center will be a cc370 for sure but for surrounds i'm still not sure

the choices are

atoms (cheap cost effective)
mini monitors (to keep the monitor line all around)

OR

adp170s or 370s (most likely 170s as i'm pretty sure the 370s are out of the price range)

now my real question is that will there be that much a difference between direct and dipole (most likely getting terminology wrong but you all know what i mean) when being used for surrounds?

these will be mounted at ear level right behind me on a dresser behind a couch

anyone with any insight into this would be appreciated

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I used Titans as surrounds with a 370 and 5s and they blended fine. The Minis gave a better overall blend, but the Titans did well enough that I used the Minis in a bedroom system. The Atoms should do the trick, IMO (though I recommend the Titans instead for $20-30 more :D ).

Right behind you is a bad spot if they are at ear level, but it can be done if you position them carefully (don't point them at your head). The ADPs are good, but they are also 2x the price and if you aren't mounting them in a proper spot, I'd say the Atoms are a better choice.

Jason->D

Stunt Coordinator
when i auditioned a bunch of speakers i had pretty much decided on atoms as rears (this was with mini's up front) as i couldn't hear that much of a difference between atoms and titans for rears (not worth the $50 jump in price) but started thinking about dipoles.

also what is the best way to position rears, i was thinking on top of a dresser that way i can avoid having to buy/make stands for now

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks