What's new

Need Help with non powered sub... (1 Viewer)

wmk1986

Auditioning
Real Name
Matthew
I need help with a problem I am having that I cannot figure out, but it seems there should be a simple solution. My terminology is not solid but I will do the best I can.

I have (had) a nice 5.2 home theater surround sound system. The receiver is blown, I can only guess from lightning, I love the speakers and want to keep them. They are expensive and great quality. I want to replace the receiver and keep the existing speakers. The only problem is I have 2 non powered subs. I believe the correct term is passive. The subs were powered directly from the old receiver.

I am having trouble finding a receiver that will support this. It seems all the receivers available only have a rca jack out to a sub, that hooks to a powered sub. This will not work for my subs, so what do I do.

Is there a way to hook up my existing non powered subs to a receiver like this? I was thinking a cheap standalone 35w stereo amp, but I don't know how this would work. Is there a way to take the signal from the receiver, (which usually connects to a powered sub) and hook it to a stereo amp? It confuses me because of the one signal coming out of the receiver, and the amp takes a left and right signal, and then sends out a left and right signal. Is there a way to hook subs to a left and right and get a mono sound? or just anyway to make this work?

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make this work. In theory this should be simple, and I am a pretty advanced electronic user, I'm just relatively new to home theater. I also am on a tight budget. I would like to keep it around 200 dollars. I have found some decent receivers less than 200, I just don't know how to hook up the subwoofers to this.

Please help, any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Welcome to the forum. I need to correct something that bugs the mess out of me. There is no such thing as a .2 system. The numbers represent discreet audio signals in the program. There is only one LFE channel so no matter how many subs you are using, it is still .1. I feel better now.

This is an easy fix if I can get more information. How much power was going to the subs with the old receiver? What is the impedance of the subs? Ported or sealed? The more information the better.

I am using dual passive subs in my home theater. They are 15" http://web.archive.org/web/20070207070153/www.tcsounds.com/tc3000.htm TC-3000's powered by a pro amp capable of 800w per channel at 20hz.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks