What's new

Need help with A/V connections (1 Viewer)

mick34

Auditioning
Real Name
Gary
My (ancient) system currently consists of:
  • Mitsubishi 26" CRT TV from 1995 (S-video output & component input/output)
  • Pioneer VSX-D509S AV receiver
  • DVD player (Panasonic A-105)
  • VCR (Sharp VC-H960U)
  • DirecTV Tivo DVR

(Budget won't allow for HDTV or other component upgrades, so please don't go down that road!)

I'm trying to connect a Wii to the system but I can't get it to work. The Wii works on another TV so I know that's not the issue. My kids are begging me to get it working tonight for hannukah!

Here are my current connections:
  • DVR has S-video output to the receiver's TV/SAT input
  • VCR has composite video output to receiver's VCR input
  • DVD has S-video output to receiver's DVD input
  • Receiver has S-video output to input on the TV

The TV has an input switch to go between composite (for VCR) and s-video (for DVR/Satellite/DVD).

I tried to connect the Wii's composite plugs into the receiver's front VIDEO jacks. I couldn't get any audio or video. I also tried to use the receiver's VCR inputs (removing the VCR plugs) but it didn't work either. I tried to connect the Wii directly into the TV's composite input jacks but that also didn't work.

For your reference, the VSX-D509S manual with rear panel diagram is available on Amazon.

Please advise how I could use the Wii with this tv. My kids will love if you could help!!! And I would be very grateful too!

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

THXTheSounds

Agent
Real Name
Cody

Happy Hanukkah

Anyways, if you're that desperate to get it hooked up tonight, I recommend cutting out the receiver altogether and just plugging it into the TV. Then just turn up the TV's speakers, it's just a Wii so it's not imperative that you use the surround. Otherwise I'll look at it later and tell you what you need, I think you probably just need to make sure your inputs on the receiver are working, and make sure that the cables you're using are the composite cables (yellow, red, white) as opposed to the component cables (green, blue, red).

tlavely

Auditioning
Real Name
tony
I assume you did the right thing for tonight and hooked the wii to the tv as THX... suggested. And the kids enjoyed.

A thing comes to mind: that there may be a setting change to use the front inputs on the receiver and the vcr. I know on my (equally ancient) Mitsu vcr, I need to do something - forget just which incantation it is - to use them vs the rear inputs. I don't recall the same for my pioneer receiver, but... I don't think I've ever needed the front inputs on it. Anyway, hope it helps when you sit down to figure it out again.

Hope it was a good time.

tony

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Does the VCR play OK?

Do you have a composite connection between receiver and TV? Your receiver might not (upconvert and) cross feed the composite inputs to its S-video output to get to the TV using the S-video cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks