What's new

Need help with A/V audio connection (1 Viewer)

oedius

Agent
Real Name
Steve
Hi all,
My first post. Very frustrated! Upgraded to 7.1 Onkyo HT-S790 HTIB from Sony 5.1 Niether reciever has HDMI but both do have optical. On both recievers, only the surround speaker output is working. I eliminated possiblity of any speakers or speaker wiring being defective by process taking turns connecting each speaker to A/V speaker outputs known to be working. All speakers and wiring are good. This is same for both recievers. The 7.1 Onkyo would also not output from it's surround back jacks but, as with Sony, would only output to the one pair of surround speakers.
I have Direct TV HD reciever and a Toshiba DVD player that are both connected directly to a 50" Toshiba HD DLP TV via HDMI. Then from TV, only one optical cable to A/V reciever. I just use input selection of TV to change source.
The only thing I haven't tried yet is to hook directly from satellite reciever and DVD player to A/V reciever versus routing through TV. I have already been into setup menues of satellite reciever and TV to make sure of proper settings. Like I stated previously, I at least made sure that all speakers are good and speaker wiring is correct. Could there be problem with the optical cable? I thought they either worked or didn't. Should I buy a new one?
BTW, I forgot to mention that the powered sub does also work. I just can't figure out problem with center, right & left front, and the surround back speakers (7.1 Onkyo).
I already called Bestbuy and Geeksquad would charge about $140 for service call.
One other I am now thinking from reading previous post is that maybe there is compatability problem between TV and A/V? If so, perhaps connect optical cable directly from DVD player to A/V reciever? And then, will I still get decent audio if I connect TV to A/V with analog cables?
Please help,
Thanks,
Steve

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
You also need to connect an optical cable from the dvd player and satillite receiver to the Onkyo or Sony. The optical cable from the tv to the avr is not needed. You may have to go into the avr's setup menu to "assign" the optical inputs. You may also have to go into the dvd players setup menu and choose "Bitsream" for audio out and not hdmi.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Definitely do NOT route through the TV. TVs don't relay 5.1 audio from HDMI to optical, they just aren't designed that way. They pass 2.0 at best. Their optical out is for their internal tuner which is irrelevant to you since you are using satellite.

As for why your speakers aren't working, either the receivers are broken (extraordinarily unlikely that 2 receivers both have only surround ch working), or user error in the wiring/setup. You should triple-check it, focus on one channel at a time. Make sure that the "A" speakers are on, "B" is off, there is A/B switch on front panel. Use the "test tone" on the receiver, it should cycle through all chs you have connected. "Ch sel" along with level+/- should affect the intensity of the test tone. Make sure for your speakers that you have + end on speaker connected to + on receiver, - to -, not touching other terminals, and that you have enough wire exposed and it is inserted to into the hole in the base of the connector, screwed in tight and making good contact.

Surround back -- very little material is true 7.1 and will use the surround back, unless you turn on Pro-logic IIx.

oedius

Agent
Real Name
Steve
Thank you both for helping me with this. I will buy another optical cable tomorrow and do this. Even with tight budget, I was still determined to somehow have decent home theater system. After a bit of research, I was very sure that I didn't want to settle on something from Walmart, which is what I normally wouldv'e done. Then I spotted the Onkyo on Ebay and managed to get it for $130. Even though I knew it was lacking some of the latest desirable features, I thought it would still give me good bang for buck.
Thanks again and I will report back on results.
Steve

oedius

Agent
Real Name
Steve
Well, I have had to face the fact that I must have a defective receiver. I didn't mention earlier but, due to inexcusable piss poor packing job and incredibly brutal handling by UPS, the receiver was badly damaged. It did however seem to power up ok so I had hoped that it might still work. I still have been unable to get sound except through the pair of surround outputs. I confirmed this by using only the receiver's test tone. I tripled checked again all speakers and speaker wiring to once and for all eliminate them as being defective. But, get this for contingency plan; I got back on Ebay and won the exact same model receiver for $26 plus $15 shipping. It should arrive late this week or next. I exhorted the seller to please pack carefully! I have all speakers set up and mounted so hopefully, will have it going in short order. Fingers crossed!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks