What's new

Need help on connecting my blu ray player to existing home theater. (1 Viewer)

sekhar447

Auditioning
Real Name
soma sekhar
Hi,
I have an old Sony DAV-DZ556kb and I bought a new blu ray player Sony BDP-S590. I want to have the audio from blu ray player to my existing 5.1 channel speakers.
my existing DVD player do not have optical IN, it is having a Coaxial connection but I can see it is for FM connection and 75 ohm connector. is there any way that I can have a audio IN to this connection from blu ray player.
-I can connect the 2 channel anolog out from blu ray to my home theater, will I be able to enjoy the surround sound with this type of connection?.. I can see the DVD home theater have dolby pro logic 2 specified.
:rolleyes:

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
It appears that your receiver has an optical input. The best way to get surround on your system would be to connect the optical output of your new Blu-Ray player to the optical input on your receiver. You'll then need to select that as your audio source using the remote control.

sekhar447

Auditioning
Real Name
soma sekhar
SineDave said:
It appears that your receiver has an optical input. The best way to get surround on your system would be to connect the optical output of your new Blu-Ray player to the optical input on your receiver. You'll then need to select that as your audio source using the remote control.
there is no optical input to my home thater.. as I said.. it is having 75 ohm coax connection.. but specified as it is for FM .. I am not sure if I can use it for audio input?.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by sekhar447 /t/323743/need-help-on-connecting-my-blu-ray-player-to-existing-home-theater#post_3975056
I can connect the 2 channel anolog out from blu ray to my home theater, will I be able to enjoy the surround sound with this type of connection?.. I can see the DVD home theater have dolby pro logic 2 specified.

If your home theater system lacks a digital input, you will not be able to enjoy digital surround sound from your external Blu-ray player.

Using the 2 channel analog outputs would feed an analog stereo signal to your home theater, then, as you indicated, the home theater would use Dolby ProLogic II decoding to simulate surround sound from the stereo signal. It won't have the impact of true digital surround sound, but will be better than nothing.

You should consider replacing the Sony system with a system that has better support for external devices. The best solution, always, is to get a real A/V receiver and true home theater speakers (whether purchased separately or as a set). Less desireable is a "quality" all-in-one system that is built around a real A/V receiver. Onkyo, Denon, and Yamaha offer systems that fall into this category. The speakers will be weak, but at least you will be able to expand and grow the system over time.

Any low-end all-in-one system that falls below, say, $300 is unlikely to be much of an improvement.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
My apologies, I google'd the model number of your receiver and the images showed a TOSLINK input. It seems like your DMPORT is meant for portable players like an iPod only. I would definitely look at upgrading your receiver.

Indika Athauda

Auditioning
Real Name
Indika
Jason Charlton said:
If your home theater system lacks a digital input, you will not be able to enjoy digital surround sound from your external Blu-ray player. Using the 2 channel analog outputs would feed an analog stereo signal to your home theater, then, as you indicated, the home theater would use Dolby ProLogic II decoding to simulate surround sound from the stereo signal.  It won't have the impact of true digital surround sound, but will be better than nothing. You should consider replacing the Sony system with a system that has better support for external devices.  The best solution, always, is to get a real A/V receiver and true home theater speakers (whether purchased separately or as a set).  Less desireable is a "quality" all-in-one system that is built around a real A/V receiver.  Onkyo, Denon, and Yamaha offer systems that fall into this category.  The speakers will be weak, but at least you will be able to expand and grow the system over time. Any low-end all-in-one system that falls below, say, $300 is unlikely to be much of an improvement.
But I guess this will work with HDMI. I know if you have Sony TV with HDMI this TV can out put sounds back to HomeTheatre. If so you can input BluRay to TV and then out put TV sound back to HomeThetre. But I am not sure this will loose your 5.1 capabilities.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Indika Athauda said:
But I guess this will work with HDMI. I know if you have Sony TV with HDMI this TV can out put sounds back to HomeTheatre. If so you can input BluRay to TV and then out put TV sound back to HomeThetre. But I am not sure this will loose your 5.1 capabilities.
You're referring to ARC (Audio Return Channel), but this is not guaranteed to work between all devices. The idea behind ARC is nice, but there are no universal standards behind its implementation from manufacturer to manufacturer. In order for ARC to work, BOTH the display and the A/V receiver or surround system must support the feature and in most cases they need to be from the same manufacturer (but again this is no guarantee). IMO, ARC should not be relied upon as the primary means of feeding audio into a surround system. It's too flaky and may no longer work should you replace one component in your system. The best way to enjoy digital surround sound remains having a dedicated A/V receiver unit to serve as the hub to your system - not the display.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks