What's new

Problem with HDCP 2.2 in chain: Blu-Ray-Player --> AV-Receiver --> TV (1 Viewer)

bep

Auditioning
Real Name
Bernd
I have a not-so-young TV, a new Blu-ray player, and a new stereo AV receiver (Denon DRA-800).

The Blu-ray player is able to connect to Netflix via Wi-Fi and stream Netflix content.
If I connect the Blu-Ray player directly to the TV, it works fine (ie I can see the Netflix menu and can start movies).

However, when I loop the Blu-Ray player through the AV receiver (ie: Blu-Ray player to AV receiver and AV receiver to TV) and then try to access Netflix through the Blu-Ray player, the TV displays the following error message:

"The content cannot be viewed because your TV does not support HDCP 2.2".

We can't tell if this message is coming from the player or the AV receiver.

My TV definitely does not support HDCP 2.2, because it is too old for that.

I'm not familiar with video stuff, but my guess is that if the Blu-Ray player is connected directly to the TV, the player realizes that the TV can't do HDCP 2.2 and therefore automatically switches to a compatible signal.

The AV receiver, on the other hand, can do HDCP 2.2, so the player does NOT switch when connected to the AV receiver. And the AV receiver now tries to pass the video signal of the player to the TV, but the TV cannot understand this signal, which then leads to the error message.

Is this assumption correct?

And is there a workaround so that I can loop the Blu-Ray player through the AV receiver to benefit from the better sound?

Thanks in advance for any help,
-bep-

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Sounds like your receiver is trying to passthrough 4K data to the tv. That's the only reason why it'd be tripping a HDMI 1.4/2.2 flag. Check your blu-ray player settings to see if there's a setting for 1080p output instead of 2160. If that doesn't work then its time for a new TV.

_vlad

Auditioning
Real Name
Bart
Aren't there devices that can alter the EDID to the TV to prevent this issue?

I have no experiences with any of them, but do a quick net search for 'hdcp 2.2 edid'

bep

Auditioning
Real Name
Bernd
Thanks to both of you.
I have now found in the depths of the settings menu of the Blu-Ray player the option to disable the output of 4K. This solves the problem.
...thinking about a new TV may not be wrong anyway ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks