Need Advice - Swan speakers + SVS sub

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Mark.D, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Mark.D

Mark.D Agent

Hi Y'all... I just bit the bullet and ordered my 7.1 system minus the sub.

I got:

Swan 6.1 front speakers: $1299
    Swan C3 Center Speaker: $499
    Swan R3 Dipole Rear Speakers: $599
    Swan R3 Dipole Side Speakers: $599
    Total: $2996

Swan's "Theater Reference Package" comes with all of the above for a 7.1 setup, plus TWO 250 watt Swan Sub10's... I've heard the Swan speakers are great and come close to the B&W's as far as peformance goes... but their subs are okay, but not that great.

So I'm looking to order an SVS PC-Ultra 525 Watt cylindrical sub for $1149... its all black, I'm not too concerned about necessarily matching the Swans as it will be in a corner and the Swan's all have black gloss tops and bottoms anyway's to compliment the rosewood...

I just wanted to check with you guys that I wasnt making a huge mistake mixing SVS with Swans... Seems to me as long as the other speakers match, Bass is Bass? Cool?

2. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

Yes. Cool.

3. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

With bass, it does not matter.Most companies who have great mains, etc do not have subs (in the same price class), that can compete with SVS, HSU, etc.

I have the 16-46pc+. It is AWESOME!!!

4. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

You can't go wrong with a Ultra.

(I have dual 16-46CS+ btw)

5. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

What the above guys said... SVS!

6. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

I don't find that to be true. I own a pair swains and they are decent, but they are not in the same league as the B&W's especially the Nautilus series.

My experience is you get what you pay for with Swan, but they're not the amazing bang for the buck some say they are. FYI - I believe the rosewood finish is vinyl now and not solid wood.

I'm okay with the 4.1s I have for what I paid for them. I feel they perform about like any other $500 pair of speakers. I would of been very, very disappointed if I paid for the rosewood finish since it doesn't add anything acoustically and substantially raises the cost.