What's new

I have $10,000 for a new home theater system. help me. (1 Viewer)

Tyler Cookson

Stunt Coordinator
So I've been a bit out of the home theater loop for quite some time now. I moved to England for 4 years and now that I am returning to the US (the land of large homes and cheap electronics) I am trying to get started peicing together a new sound system. So I need some advice and guidance because I have little idea about all the new speaker lines that have come out. So heres what I have in mind so far.

the 4 surrounds will need to be wall mounted, I would prefer if the center channel could as well but if not we may be able to work around that. I don't want a floorstanding speaker with a huge footpring, but a standard size tower will be just fine. I was attracted to the swan diva 6.2's and that line of speakers, anyone have any experience with these or the old 6.1 line? I plan on hiding the sub best as possible.. and corner placement may be out of the question. I had the Elemental Designs new A7-900 with dual 18" subs, 20 cubic feet in mind. possibly the a7-700 if its too big. I know SVS is immensely popular here and for good reason. I plan on getting a single or dual ultra if we can't work around the huge subs.

So basically about $2000 for a subwoofer and then $8000 for a receiver and speakers. What do you guys reccomend?

Thanks a lot for the help!

edit: I plan on spending between another $2-5k on a 1080p projector with a 100"-120" screen. any reccomendations on that would be great as well. I was planning on using a ps3 for blue-ray and possibly purchasing a seperate HD DVD player.. but I am worried that the ps3 would provide inferior audio feedback. Dimensions of the room HxLxW - 12' x 18' x 28.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Hi Tyler, a few questions for you:

1. What is your display device (HDTV, front projector, etc)
2. What are your sources? e.g. HD DVD Player, Blu-Ray Player, Upconverting DVD Player
3. What are the dimensions of your room?

Here is the system I would build personally on a $10,000 budget:

Fronts: Paradigm Studio 60, $1,799
Centre: Paradigm Studio CC-590, $899
Surrounds: Paradigm Studio ADP-590, $1,198
Rear Surrounds: Paradigm Studio ADP-590, $1,198
Subwoofer: SVS PC-Ultra, $1,299
Pre-Pro: Outlaw 990, $999
Power Amp: Outlaw 7700, $2,149
Interconnects: Outlaw Balanced XLR Cables x 7, $240
Universal Remote: Logitech Harmony 880, $250
Surge Protector: Belkin SurgeMaster, $50
Speaker Cabling: Blue Jeans Cable 5000UE 12 AWG, $50
Subwoofer Cable: Blue Jeans Cable LC-1, $30

Total: $10,161

Don't take my word for it on the choice of speakers, I recommend auditioning as many speakers as possible before making your purchase. That being said, I'm sure others on this forum will have plenty more suggestions for you!

Phil_O

Stunt Coordinator
Notice you mentioned the word receiver. I'd go for separates in your position. A great set of speakers (you'll want to audition as many as possible) can be had for $4000 assuming you spent the other $4000 on separates. Ask for a 5% or so discount when you buy, especially if you're buying a whole set.

Good luck and have fun!

Paul Mor

Stunt Coordinator
Agree with Phil (and Alon too) go with seperates instead of an AVR.

I also feel you should audition as many speakers as possible. I have Polk LSi's and am very happy with them, but you might prefer something else.

Not necessarily disagreeing with Alon here, but that seems like a lot to spend on surround speakers. But if you've got 10K to spend, the system he listed would be AWESOME I'm sure.

MikeNg

Second Unit
More ideas on components...
http://www.audioholics.com/buying-gu...onic-pt-ae900u

The recommended components here are for a pricier HT package, but it gives you an idea of what sort of components you can integrate at your price point (pick and choose, and choose good stuff!).

Are you able to go inwall at all? If you want to 'hide' the sub, any box sub that can fill that room won't be hidden - it's going to take up some space. Check out Velodyne's SC-IW subwoofer - http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=88008

No footprint. High Output. Get two! You'll need to strategically plan where to install these to maximize even in-room response. I'd love to get a couple of these for my room and possibly lose the big box.
Another approach is to go multiple box subs (vs. one megasub) - this gives you a smoother response across all seating positions. If it works out, consider getting two single-ultra's instead of one dual-ultra.

As far as speakers go, consider getting offerings from AV!23 and RBH Sound, the latter being more expensive but well worth it.

Luis Gabriel Gerena

Second Unit
I think you meant AV123... :)
With that budget you can get a great system indeed....the best advice has been given but let me repeat it, try as many speakers as you can since speakers are normally a long term commitment.

Regards

Jacob C

Second Unit
If your room isnt going to be huge look into Ascend Acoustics Sierras for speakers and checkout HSU and SVS for subs. Again, there is a lot of preference when it comes to speakers. Just make sure you listen to them before commiting. You might find a speaker you like for half the price of one you dont like at all. That leavse more money for other things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks