What's new

Need advice..Sub for 300 (1 Viewer)

Shawn.G

Second Unit
I need a sub for around 300. I don't mind buying used. What do you recommend? I am able to put polyfill in it.

Matthew Anderson

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Anderson
I have Paradigm PS-1000 sub that I am going to put on ebay in a few weeks. This would be a very good sub for the money you want to spend.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
I would do a search on this forum: "Sun for $300." I think you will get a lot of info. PartsExpress.com has a good sub kit for about that price. The AudioSource 15" once poly filled is suppose to be good, also. But I would do the search first..

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
There's a Hsu VTF-2 in the hardware for sale category for $300 plus S&H. If I was looking for a sub in that range, this would be a no brainer. It's a great sub at $500 and it would be a steal at $300.

No I don't get any money from the sale.

Jeff-Watson

Stunt Coordinator
There is no better sub at that price point than the Sony SA-WM40. It rivals subs in the $300-$500 range and you can find it online for around $150. I love mine and don't anticipate upgrading for sometime. It is becoming known as the budget must have of subs and you can't go wrong with it. Just my .02 worth but I think at your budget it would definetly be you best bet.

Todd Christ

Stunt Coordinator
There is no better sub at that price point than the Sony SA-WM40. It rivals subs in the $300-$500 range and you can find it online for around $150. I love mine and don't anticipate upgrading for sometime. It is becoming known as the budget must have of subs and you can't go wrong with it. Just my .02 worth but I think at your budget it would definetly be you best bet.
get 2 of them! :)
http://my.sony.com $125 each!

Shawn.G

Second Unit
Who thinks the one paradigm would beat 2 polyfilled sonys??? This setup is mainly for music, but the occasional 5 hour long xbox gaming makes its way in.

RichardH

Supporting Actor
My guess is the dual-Sony's could take it. But, you should really think about the Hsu VTF-2 for $300. That sub is a monster! And at 3 bills, it's a steal.

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
Two Sony's will be still limited to aroun 30Hz, one VTF2 will reach easily 25Hz. Does 5Hz matters? not to all people, specially if what they are looking for is SPL at mid bass and not deep bass.
In the end is personal preference, as always ;)

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I think it is kind of tempting to get carried away with the WM-40. It is a great sub for the money and can hold it's own just fine factoring cost. IMO it is one of the top subs in it's category. There are many subs from the $300-$500 range as there should be, that will chew up the 40. This can not be said of the VTF-2. I started out with the 40 and thought it was great and I still do think it is for the money.:emoji_thumbsup:

Chris Tabor

Stunt Coordinator
Shawn, I have the hsu vtf2 sub for sale for $300 plus shipping if you are interested. Its only 6 months old and still under full warranty. I believe the speaker is covered for 5 yrs and the electronics are covered for 2 years. The only thing I don't have anymore is the original box everything else is still there. I never planned on getting rid of it till recently so I burnt the box which I regret. The only reason I am selling it is to move a little farther up the ladder and help fund the rest of my klipsch setup.

Shawn.G

Second Unit
Steve, any chance you would be willing to sell your sony? What are the 300 subs that would chew up the sony?

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Well I sold the 40 to a friend for $75. I know I could have sold it for more. I bought it for $135. I run two ct 150s now which one will pulverize the 40. I payed $375 for a demo and $499 for a new one. I plane on buying the new super SVS when it comes out so I will be selling one for sure and keeping the other for collection purposes. $325 + shipping with warranty. The VTF-2 is a great sub to but will not out-do the CHT-15" Velo. If now is what you want I would strongly consider the VTF-2. It is a great sub. The thing is- you will only want to upgrade soon most likely, so if you can I would shoot for a little more imo for what it is worth. The VTF-2 "is allot more than the 40" and you would be much more content in the long run.;)

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
Another sub that would chew up the Sony is the Infinity IL100. Quality driver, great build quality, and a built in one band parametric eq. It extends down to 25Hz and is IMO the most articulate sub in the sub $500 range. If you're more concerened with sound quality, it'd be my choice. If you're more concerned with impact and slam, the the VTF-2 is the best bet.

The Infinity can be found cheap from ubid.com(authorized dealer), there's also three finishes: black, cherry, maple.

Frank

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
Don't forget another HTF favorite, the Audiosource SW Fifteen. It play louder and goes lower than the Sony. If you want slam for little money, this might be your venom.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks