What's new

Need advice on speakers to match Athem AVM-20 and SVS 20 39 PC+ 4k or under range (1 Viewer)

Jason Cald****

Stunt Coordinator
Currently upgrading my HT.

Anthem AVM-20 and MCA-50 should be here next week with my SVS 20-39 pc+ sub.

I am currently using Polk RT2000 towers, CS350 Center, LS/FX rears(actually year after those models).

I use the system mainly for Home Theater, Gaming, with some music but mostly club/hiphop/rap sort of stuff.

My room is small like 14x14 or so, but i want something decent for when i buy my next house i won't have to upgrade as soon.

I would like to spend under 4k or so on speakers, i have not shopped for speakers at all in awhile so not sure of what good options are.

Please list also how much of a upgrade you think these will be over my polk setup.

I am sure i will be more happy with my polks off the Anthem Amp with over 200 watts a channel compared to my current Denon Avr 3200 @85 a channel.

Thanks for the help

RichardH

Supporting Actor
Not sure if you're dead set on the MCA-50, but that AVM-20 paired w/ all active speakers would be pretty sweet IMO. You could add the cost of the amp to your speakers.

M&K has some nice offerings, powered and passive.
B&W is quite nice as well (no actives, though)

Jason Cald****

Stunt Coordinator
Well i am upgrading the Anthem and Amp now with the SVS sub to use with my current polks. New speakers will come in a month or so. So i was planning on going the preamp/route for upgradablilty.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
I will probally catch hell here but I will say it anyway.
Anthem amps were made for one reason that is to drive any Paridigm loadspeaker made period. Paridigms can be difficult but since they own Anthem not any more, with the money you are talking look at the big Paridigms you will be amazed at the Anthem/ Paridigm performance.

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Jason,

First of all, there are a lot of good speakers in the market place. I would encourage you to listen to ALL manufacturers that appeal to you and fit your price range.

I can only verify that the system that I put together with Studio 100's/40's sounds very, very nice on a cost/performance basis. I am using Sherbourn and Modial amps to drive them, not the MCA-50.

I'd take my time and make a speaker pilgrimage to ALL audio shops in your area. Listen to as many brands as possible. You may even want to try Rockets. Lucrative return policy and I think on their website, they have a review against the Paradigms. I would not limit myself to these two companies though. Better to listen to many then a few.

Speakers are so subjective as you know. Also, living in the Detroit area, if you decide to go the Paradigm route, cross the border as the savings can be substantial. I am sure that was a part of your plan.

Good luck and let us know what you decide. You'll like the AVM-20. It's a great piece of equipment.

Charles

Marc H

Second Unit
Charles is right, take a trip over to Windsor and listen to a variety of the Canadian brands. There's no duty on Canadian made speakers.
If you go, try and audition the Dahlquist QX10 too if you can.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks