What's new

Need Advice/Help on building a 5.1, 5.2, 7.1, 7.2 HT (1 Viewer)

titanium

Auditioning
Real Name
Ty
Hello Audiophile,

Please go easy on me and a noob here when it comes to HT. I do apologize as I know thread like this comes up all the time, but everyone's situation and configuration are different.

I've been running my current system for quite sometime now and it's time to upgrade or replace to a much better HT system that will last me 10-30+ years. My current budget is $10,000 excluding the TV. If I can spend less, great!

This is not a dedicated HT room. This will be in the living room and the size is 32'x20' (640sqft). We primarily will be using this HT system to play movies, music, and some occasion games. Music is more Trance, Hip Hop, and Rap.

I need real world advice and experience as to what would be my best option. I'm not against using vintage speakers or the newest and greatest speakers. Whatever will bring out the best sound for the price is what i'm looking for.

I would love to implement a 7.1 or 7.2 system, but I understand price will be a huge factor here so I will consider a 5.1 or 5.2 system as well. Whatever brands and models you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I would also like to run a separate setup as well to fully bring out the potential on the speakers.

Below here is my very basic current simple setup:

Denon AVR-790

2 Audiofile 830LR floorstanding speaker

1 Klipsch RC52 Center

1 Klipsch RW10 Subwoofer

titanium

Auditioning
Real Name
Ty
In separates, I mean: one box for the tuner and preamplifier/processor, and another for the amplification.

My 790 recently died on me.

titanium

Auditioning
Real Name
Ty
Thank you and will head over there for the receiver. In the mean time, anyone here have any recommendations on speakers?

Since, I'm getting lack of response, here's what I have come up with.

2 Paradigm S6 v2

2 Klipsch RFII

1 Klipsch RC-64II

2 SVS PB13 ultra ported

Thoughts?

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
If you like the sound of a horn then stick with them but you don't want to mix and match horn with dome.

If you don't know if you like horns then go to the BigBox and listen to some Klipsch speakers to see if you like them. Take your time and listen for a bit as they might sound good at first but get fatiguing after a bit. Folks either love or hate the sound of a horn tweeter.

As far as subs...nothing wrong with SVS but for that amount of money I would also check out Power Sound Audio to see how they compare. You could get 2 of the V3600i for the same price as the two PB13 subs.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
I promise I wasn't parroting RobertJ he just beat me to the punch on that last post. I blame it on the PSA website ("MMmmm subwoofers...").

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
ArmSC said:
I promise I wasn't parroting RobertJ he just beat me to the punch on that last post. I blame it on the PSA website ("MMmmm subwoofers...").
I haven't been to the PSA in a while so I was browsing after making the post.

I "MMmmm subwoofers..." when I look at raw drivers for my DIY subs. 18" subs just are getting common and I need to step up. I have a 21" that I have never hooked up, Stereo Integrity sells a 24" and one company is selling a 32".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks