What's new

Need a little help (1 Viewer)

audiorookie

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert
This might have been posted in the wrong section before.

I am ready to buy a entry level HT. My problems are the shape and size of my room. It is what the builder called a great room. The entire right hand side is open to the dining room so all all sound going that direction would be lost ( I think). The room dimensions are 14 1/2' wide (to the end of what would be the family room) by 16' deep to the media niche. The media niche is only a half wall that opens into the formal living room. ( I know this all sounds odd and it is). The systems I am looking at are the Mirage Nanostat with Denon 1707 reciever (ultimate electronics has it packaged together for 999.98) or the Infinity TSS1100 with a appx. 400 dollar reciever. Any opinions would be helpfull. I know about the likes of the SVS system but I really need to say under 1100 dollars for the system.

Robert

BrianTwig

Second Unit
While I have never been a fan of HTIB, I have been a fan of Marantz and their ER2500 "Complete Home Theater System" may be a good candidate for your situtation.

Accessories4less.com has it for $650 new in box.

The size of your room is going to be the biggest obsticle to overcome with a 'small' system.

Over at acousticsounddesign.com they have the Pioneer Elite EX-500 Elite DVD-Audio & SACD A/V System for $300. My neighbor has this and is running Boston Acoustic inceiling speakers and sub with it and they are very happy. Could match it up with Klipsch Quintet II and KSW12 for $678 or there are several BIC Acoustech packages that may work for you.

Though I have no doubt people will come behind me and suggest I don't know what I am talking about and suggest other things. And they likely are right.

But be sure to search around the accessories4less.com site. They seem to have a lot of great deals on a variety of stuff. I have purchased from them in the past, including reconditioned stuff and have been very happy with it. They are top notch. Also dealt with acousticsounddesign.com and they are to notch as well.

audiorookie

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert
Thanks for the input Brian, I was doing some searching today and found a speaker company at www.av123.com. They seem like they have a good set up for 750. Has anyone bought these or heard of them?

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
For $350, I would recommend the Yamaha RX-V659 over the Denon AVR-1707. This would leave you with $650 for speakers and $100 for cabling. For that price it will certainly be a challenge in a room that size! You may want to consider building a 2.1 system, and then building up to 5.1 over time. 2.1 speakers are likely to be far more capable than a HTIB of the same price.

For instance, you could pick up a pair of Paradigm Monitor 3's ($350) for your fronts and have $300 left over to purchase a used subwoofer (SVS, Velodyne, Hsu, Paradigm, etc). In 6 month's time you could add a Paradigm CC-370 for your centre ($300), and then eventually you could move the Monitor 3's to your surrounds and purchase larger fronts such as Paradigm Monitor 7's ($650).

http://www.audioreview.com/mfr/parad...5_1594crx.aspx
http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speak...7_2743crx.aspx

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
I second the 2 channel system, It would probably be best to buy a descent receiver around the $400 range. Then a pair of floorstanding speakers or really good bookshelfs with stands from Dayton Audio. Then later buy a sub, center, and surrounds.

BrianTwig

Second Unit
I have never purchased from AV123 but have read a good number of posts on here saying positive things about them. And as others have suggested, if you want to build over time a solid 2 Ch will make you happy and then you improve upon it.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Robert

Parker Clack, co-owner of this Forum, has Premier Acoustic speakers in his home and likes them. http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...d.php?t=238180

I would suggest that you save up just a bit longer and then you could get this system. Premier Acoustic floorstander package is $999 delivered. Then, for ~$260 delivered from several reputable on-line sellers, add a Pioneer 816. For $1260 you will have a very capable system. Of course, it would be important to set all speakers to small and redirect the bass to the subwoofer.

A system like this should hold you for a long time.

PS
The speakers can be had in genuine cherry for the same price as black!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks