National Tax Correspondence School

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Chris Lanni, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Chris Lanni

Chris Lanni Stunt Coordinator

Christopher
    Go here and tell me what you think.

They are a correspondence school for current and subsequent tax codes. I am thinking about doing it, but wonder if there is anybody who has, and what his/her experience has/had been.

Gods Love
    chris

Thanks ahead of time...

2. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

For $650 bucks I'd pass. I'm sure all the necessary material is available for free through the IRS and/or a public library. Any of the tax software available might teach one as much as studying books......it's how I learned double enrty accounting [​IMG]

Mort

3. Chris Lanni

Chris Lanni Stunt Coordinator

Christopher
    Mort

I agree with your comment about the IRS/library. When my wife and I moved into our first home, I spent days reading IRS Pubs. finding out what I could and could not claim. I had never even seen an itemized deduction till then, and it was an eye opener. I was also thinking that it might be a nice supplemental income as a tax preparer. I think that it is most helpful since they send you materials and you actually fill out the tax forms for the sample taxpayer, and they tell you what you did wrong. This way you see what goes on without having to go online every time you need an example from the IRS.

Gods Love
    chris

4. Mort Corey

Just seemed ???fishy?? Maybe I'm just a tad cynical when someone offers to send you materials for a good deal of up front money so you can start your own business.....kinda like the old "stuff envelopes and home in your spare time and earn extra money".

IIRC, places like H&R block will train you to do tax work then hire you for the season. I'd still just get a Turbo Tax program (or the like) and learn from its input.

Good luck in whatever endeavor you decide to persue.

Mort (who hates even thinking about income tax in August)

5. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

> Maybe I'm just a tad cynical when someone offers to send you materials for a good deal of up front money so you can start your own business

Then what do you think of colleges that charge you thousands of dollars in the hopes you might be able to get a job someday?

I guess people shouldn't be allowed to sell educational books, either. [​IMG]

6. Mort Corey

Had you read the context correctly you'd know that's not my criticism.

Mort

7. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

What then was your criticism? Maybe you could clarify it for us.