What's new

Mystery & Crime Series 30's & 40's (3 Viewers)

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
I wonder if we'll ever find out why no Time To Kill. It really doesn't make sense. Perhaps the elements are very poor (I've never seen it on TCM or Fox) and they don't want to pay for a restore? Maybe it's something to do with rights as Richard speculated. It is probably the biggest mystery of the entire Mike Shayne series.

I wonder. When Fox released Michael Shayne Mysteries Vol. 1 - ELEVEN YEARS AGO! - it certainly appeared that they had restored all of them and had every intention of releasing a second volume which would have included Time to Kill. There were only seven Fox Shayne films, so it wouldn't have made any sense to release a second volume with just two of the remaining three films.

In any event, Fox has treated the fans of the films very poorly. The release of something titled Volume 1 is an implicit promise that there will be a Volume 2.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched Michael Shayne, Private Detective this afternoon. The mystery was quite decent even though the plot kept ping-ponging all over the place. I've obviously had this set for years, but I've never watched any of these films. I'll certainly enjoy them over the next couple of weeks sandwiched between viewings of other movies.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
I watched Michael Shayne, Private Detective this afternoon. The mystery was quite decent even though the plot kept ping-ponging all over the place. I've obviously had this set for years, but I've never watched any of these films. I'll certainly enjoy them over the next couple of weeks sandwiched between viewings of other movies.
Glad you enjoyed it. The extra "Detective that wouldn't die or something like that on (I think) the first disk is good as well.

I wound up running across the Nancy Drew collection today and that may be my next review.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Sitting in the dark – watching shadows on the wall.

I have been a fan of these old mystery series for a long time but recently a new spark has re-kindled the love affair. For my birthday (end of December) my wife let me set up our first projection home theater. We took our guest room, and converted it. We still need the room when guests call (about 5 weeks out of every year) but the rest of the time it is our movie palace. A lot of compromise was required. I’m using an Optima GT1080darbee because I needed the very short throw. We mounted it in a TV caddy so we can push all the electronics to the wall when it’s a guest room. The sound system (for now) is a Vizio DTS 5.1 sound bar. Again space was a priority. The screen is a sanded and re-painted wall – I wanted big so the screen is slightly over 120” wide. (The actual size was based on maximum ceiling height for a 4:3 film). For now our seats – a futon that becomes the bed for the guest room (this must change – the futon sitting is killing me). All in all a very – very modest system compared to many here but still…

These wonderful mystery series were mostly made before I was even born. My only experience was watching on a TV. Now for the first time, I get a sense of what it must have been like to sit in a theater and watch these. Wow! Breezy stories – mostly just good and evil and good wins. The characters had no angst, or superpowers – but were just cool guys and gals that got the job done. As I get older, I find I enjoy these simple tales – no agenda - just fun entertainment. So here I sit, for a brief time, a kid watching Charlie Chan save the day. Where’s the popcorn.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Rich - thanks for heads up on Just Off Broadway. I didn't buy the MOD disc because of the terrible reputation Fox had with that program and I was upset they didn't just add another disc to the Shayne set to include it and Time to Kill.

Mysto - I was thinking about Warner Baxter and Crime Doctor earlier today and was pleased to see your post. For a lesser known series, the films are pretty enjoyable. They are a bit different from other in that there is no comic sidekick and no stereotypical dumb cop. Most of my copies were sourced from Encore Mystery showings back in the day although there are one or two I don't have because they don't circulate among collectors. I think I'll pull a couple out to watch soon.

Columbia's finest series in my opinion were the Whistler films which really aren't a series except for the titles and a lead actor who plays a different role in each film. Very, very well done and quite atmospheric. Maybe @cadavra (the incomparable Mike Schlesinger) might have some insight into why Sony didn't release box sets of their series the way Fox did with theirs. Most of the films appear to be in very good condition.

Well, as I am wont to say, don't get me started. I tried like hell to get box sets of the B-mysteries out, starting with the Lone Wolfs starring Warren William. No go. Then I tried to sub-license them to VCI. Sony blocked that as well, even though literally all they would have had to do was sign the contract and accept the advance check. They were, and probably still are, horrible, lazy people who are allergic to making money. A few stray titles dribbled out in the MOD program, but most people aren't gonna pay $22 + tax + shipping for a 60" B-picture. And so it goes...

Mike S.

P.S.: Have you pre-ordered "Biffle and Shooster" yet?
;)

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Well, as I am wont to say, don't get me started. I tried like hell to get box sets of the B-mysteries out, starting with the Lone Wolfs starring Warren William. No go. Then I tried to sub-license them to VCI. Sony blocked that as well, even though literally all they would have had to do was sign the contract and accept the advance check. They were, and probably still are, horrible, lazy people who are allergic to making money. A few stray titles dribbled out in the MOD program, but most people aren't gonna pay $22 + tax + shipping for a 60" B-picture. And so it goes...

Mike S.

P.S.: Have you pre-ordered "Biffle and Shooster" yet?
;)
Thanks for jumping in on these. I really don't understand the ins and outs of the movie release business - I'm just a watcher. But I know that fans will get a copy one way or the other and as fans they will buy the "real" copies if given a chance. Maybe someday it will change. Let's just hope it changes while we still have people to buy. Thanks for the efforts.

Last edited:

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Nick Carter Detective
4839702_l1.jpg

Master Detective -1939
Sky Murder - 1940
Phantom Raiders - 1940

Nick Carter Detective was born in the Street & Smith’s pulp novels. The stories were a natural for radio drama even spawning a spin off - Chick Carter boy detective. Clearly, they had to bring him to the screen. These films don’t have the electricity of the Thin Man, the warmth of Charlie Chan or the Crime Doctor, or the charm of Michael Shayne. Instead this is more of a frenetic run of Walter Pidgeon to catch the spies. More action film than mystery, with car chases and airplanes with Tommy guns, – this feels more like one the serials of the day. Nick Carter is cool – too cool in some cases. Sometimes lighting a cigarette is more important than holding on to the crook. Comedy is added (sometimes wedged in) in the form of Bartholomew the Bee Man turned sleuth played by Donald Meek. If you like the style of the 40’s action serials you’ll enjoy Nick Carter. I'm a B movie guy, so I enjoyed watching these, but Nick will never be my goto for Mystery Movie watching.

The series is available from Warner Archive and the copies are crisp and quite watchable.
Here's the Trailer from Sky Murder.

Last edited:

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Nick-Carter-Master-Detective-1939.jpg

Nick Carter Master Detective is the introductory film for the series of three. Walter Pidgeon plays the part straight on. The obligatory comic side kick is in the form of Bartholomew the Bee Man who is a G-Man in his own mind.

We start with Nick, working under a pseudonym, boarding a plane with John Keller (Henry Hull), genius aircraft designer. He’s carrying secret plans for a new plane. There is an unscheduled landing (the crooked pilot) and with help from Nick the stewardess Lou Farnsby (Rita Johnson) manages to take off (barely) and gets them to the aircraft company. Now, Nick finds out why he was summoned. Somehow secrets are getting out. It’s Nick’s job to find out how and save the day from the foreign spies. There are two - count them - two plane crashes in this movie. A quick action thriller from the 40’s.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched the second Michael Shayne movie The Man Who Wouldn't Die today. Not quite a mystery in the traditional sense, but it was entertaining enough for a little over an hour.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
I watched the second Michael Shayne movie The Man Who Wouldn't Die today. Not quite a mystery in the traditional sense, but it was entertaining enough for a little over an hour.
It's been a while but as I remember - some of the MIke Shaynes are we know and watch him solve it.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I like the Nick Carter and Michael Shayne flicks, good fun if not the best of these mystery series. That first Nick Carter movie is even shorter than the norm for these type of B mysteries (59 minutes!) but gets the job done. Donald Meek as Bartholomew has got to be one of the oddest sidekicks in a mystery series ever.

At first, I was a little disappointed in the Mike Shayne movies...I didn't expect the Lloyd Nolan to be playing Shayne as such a dim bulb, who basically solves the murders by a combination of sheer luck and chutzpah. Taken on their own terms, they are enjoyable, more for their breezy comedy elements than their mystery plots. For plotting, I'll watch a Charlie Chan, Falcon or Philo Vance.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, I've got a Philo Vance set here I haven't opened yet. I have seen most of the early films with Powell and Rathbone but not in a long time so I think these will seem fairly new to me on revisiting them.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
I like the Nick Carter and Michael Shayne flicks, good fun if not the best of these mystery series. That first Nick Carter movie is even shorter than the norm for these type of B mysteries (59 minutes!) but gets the job done. Donald Meek as Bartholomew has got to be one of the oddest sidekicks in a mystery series ever.

At first, I was a little disappointed in the Mike Shayne movies...I didn't expect the Lloyd Nolan to be playing Shayne as such a dim bulb, who basically solves the murders by a combination of sheer luck and chutzpah. Taken on their own terms, they are enjoyable, more for their breezy comedy elements than their mystery plots. For plotting, I'll watch a Charlie Chan, Falcon or Philo Vance.

I very much agree. I enjoy the Lloyd Nolan Shayne's because he is so charming - but not a great crime solver.
For plots - I'll take yours and add Thin Man,The Saint, and Sherlock Holmes.

I thought I'd review some of the lessor know series for a bit - I need to tackle Chan but that is such an undertaking.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Yes, I've got a Philo Vance set here I haven't opened yet. I have seen most of the early films with Powell and Rathbone but not in a long time so I think these will seem fairly new to me on revisiting them.
Matt, when you do - let us know which set you got and the quality. I have older copies (I think some are Alpha) and they are pretty bad. I don't mind buying yet another set as long as I get an improvement.
For my money Powell shows his class in the PV series and is the best of the best.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Sitting in the dark – watching shadows on the wall.

I have been a fan of these old mystery series for a long time but recently a new spark has re-kindled the love affair. For my birthday (end of December) my wife let me set up our first projection home theater. We took our guest room, and converted it. We still need the room when guests call (about 5 weeks out of every year) but the rest of the time it is our movie palace. A lot of compromise was required. I’m using an Optima GT1080darbee because I needed the very short throw. We mounted it in a TV caddy so we can push all the electronics to the wall when it’s a guest room. The sound system (for now) is a Vizio DTS 5.1 sound bar. Again space was a priority. The screen is a sanded and re-painted wall – I wanted big so the screen is slightly over 120” wide. (The actual size was based on maximum ceiling height for a 4:3 film). For now our seats – a futon that becomes the bed for the guest room (this must change – the futon sitting is killing me). All in all a very – very modest system compared to many here but still…

These wonderful mystery series were mostly made before I was even born. My only experience was watching on a TV. Now for the first time, I get a sense of what it must have been like to sit in a theater and watch these. Wow! Breezy stories – mostly just good and evil and good wins. The characters had no angst, or superpowers – but were just cool guys and gals that got the job done. As I get older, I find I enjoy these simple tales – no agenda - just fun entertainment. So here I sit, for a brief time, a kid watching Charlie Chan save the day. Where’s the popcorn.

Really enjoyed this post, Marv! Your set-up sounds similar to mine (though with a much nicer screen!) We live in a small 2-bedroom townhouse in Osaka, Japan. I have a BenQ HT2050 3D projector set up on a similar media cart, a Sony 3D region free Blu-Ray player, a Yamaha 5.1 soundbar and a 100 inch tripod screen...not an ideal home theater set-up, but until we can move to a bigger place, it has to remain a somewhat temporary, easy to break down situation. Nonetheless, I enjoy the hell out of my humble little home theater, and watch as many movies and TV shows on it as I can, time permitting. I've noticed the same thing as you, that older movies (and television programs) take on an extra depth and luster when viewed on a bigger screen. It's a real joy to watch them this way.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
I very much agree. I enjoy the Lloyd Nolan Shayne's because he is so charming - but not a great crime solver.
For plots - I'll take yours and add Thin Man,The Saint, and Sherlock Holmes.

I thought I'd review some of the lessor know series for a bit - I need to tackle Chan but that is such an undertaking.

By all means, spend some time on the lesser-known films. There are some real gems out there that many might not be aware of. Back when I was maintaining a blog, I reviewed a few of these myself:

The Joel and Garda Sloane series:
http://thestalkingmoon.weebly.com/t...-man-the-joel-and-garda-sloane-fast-mysteries

The I Love a Mystery three-fer:
http://thestalkingmoon.weebly.com/the-stalking-moon/adventures-by-morse-the-i-love-a-mystery-movies

and a couple entries from the Falcon series:
http://thestalkingmoon.weebly.com/t...-and-the-co-eds-1943-the-falcon-out-west-1944

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Really enjoyed this post, Marv! Your set-up sounds similar to mine (though with a much nicer screen!) We live in a small 2-bedroom townhouse in Osaka, Japan. I have a BenQ HT2050 3D projector set up on a similar media cart, a Sony 3D region free Blu-Ray player, a Yamaha 5.1 soundbar and a 100 inch tripod screen...not an ideal home theater set-up, but until we can move to a bigger place, it has to remain a somewhat temporary, easy to break down situation. Nonetheless, I enjoy the hell out of my humble little home theater, and watch as many movies and TV shows on it as I can, time permitting. I've noticed the same thing as you, that older movies (and television programs) take on an extra depth and luster when viewed on a bigger screen. It's a real joy to watch them this way.

I really wanted the BenQ Jeff, but I also wanted a very big screen. The best I could do in my space with the BenQ throw was about your 100" so went with the Optoma - nice but the BenQ has such great color. We use an LG Blu Ray but I have ripped most of my DVD's and put them on a 4TB drive hooked up to an Nvidia Shield. It is so nice to have that huge library at my fingertips although sometimes hard to make a choice.

We may not have bragging rights but when the lights are off - it's a Theater and I love it.:popcorn:

Thanks for the links to your reviews - looking forward to reading them.

Last edited:

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Matt, when you do - let us know which set you got and the quality. I have older copies (I think some are Alpha) and they are pretty bad. I don't mind buying yet another set as long as I get an improvement.
For my money Powell shows his class in the PV series and is the best of the best.

The Warner Archive Philo Vance set is very nice, and the prints used look pretty good for films of this vintage. I've only watched the two William Powell's, The Kennel Murder Case and The Dragon Murder Case. Am curious about the slightly creaky seeming Basil Rathbone entry, The Bishop Murder Case, and also the later, Powell-less films. Looking forward to getting to them at some point. I try to take my time with these movies, ration 'em out a bit, so I always have a few left over for a rainy day.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The next Mike Shayne movie in the set was today's viewing entry: Sleepers West. It wasn't a mystery at all, more of an adventure film. I do love movies set on trains, and this one certainly held my interest in spite of its not being a whodunit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks