1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Where are all the Vintage Mystery Series?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Mysto, Feb 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Mysto

Mysto Screenwriter

marv long
    Finally, after over 70 years, I have my own Home Theater. I'm loving it. My 4:3 screen (124") is as big as I can make it (I ran out of ceiling height). I picked up a Sherlock Holmes in Blu Ray and was knocked out. This is something like what it must have been like to watch them at the theater. So now for some more - but where are they. With all of the blu ray releases over the last few years they have apparently neglected the mystery series. No Charlie Chan. No Falcon or Saint. No Mr. Moto or Mr. Wong. No Bulldog Drummond, Boston Blackie, Nancy Drew, Crime Doctor,Lone Wolf. No Thin Man???? I could go on. What gives? Any rumors? Any sources for hi-def of PD stuff? My projector is hungry for more.

BTW - this is my first post here and I am really enjoying the discussions except the 3D one (that one has cost me a fortune:0). Looking forward to sharing info on vintage movies and tv as well as ideas on making a great home theater when you have little money and no room.

2. Camps

Camps Supporting Actor

Tom
    Hey, Mysto! Good to see you here! :)

Yeah, it would be nice if, for example, Mill Creek were able to crank out efficiently packaged Boston Blackie and Crime Doctor sets via their Sony/Columbia deal. As you know of course, I yearn for more of the buried Universal "B" mystery output to be unearthed by someone....

Flashgear, Tony Bensley and Jack K like this.
  3. mark-edk

mark-edk Second Unit

I have those series on DVD, some commercial the rest home-made from TCM and other sources. And I'd buy them all again on Blu-ray. Also love the Universal B movies in general, the mysteries especially. Even if they weren't particularly clever the atmosphere was great, and the way Universal re-used their distinctive music scores made even individual films feel like they were part of a familiar series.

Jack K and Flashgear like this.
  4. Mysto

Mysto Screenwriter

marv long
    I have every one of these series in some form or other, DVD when I can get them, but I really want to see them on the big screen. The DVD's fall apart rather quickly at my new (yea) screen size. I need to find a way to record from TCM - that might help for now.
    I love the "B's" as well but most aren't making it to bd it seems with the exception of sci-fi/horror. I'd take whatever I can get but my favorite of the various series would probably be the C Chans. The prints are there but I suspect the complaints from George Takei have dampened the enthusiasm.

mark-edk, Jack K and Flashgear like this.
  5. mark-edk

mark-edk Second Unit

I love the Chans too. Don't love the Fox packaging however: takes up too much shelf space.

RBailey likes this.

6. Hi Mysto, for years I'm waiting for "Charlie Chan" and "Mr. Moto" to arrive in Hi-Def.

I'd wish Twilight Time, with their good relations to FOX, would consider testing the ground for releasing the Chan films on Blu-ray.

A limited edition of 1000 could definitely be commercially successful. As most of these films only run about 60-70 min, they could easily fit three films on a disc. My only (usual) demand is, to leave the grain structure intact!

By the way, is there any chance for the "lost" Chans to surface again? Is there absolutely no way for them to be found among collectors or in a heritage/legacy? Well, I know it's a rhetorical question, as they obviously seem to be lost forever....

Charlie Chan Carries On (1931)
    Charlie Chan's Chance (1932)
    Charlie Chan's Greatest Case (1933)
    Charlie Chan's Courage (1934)

7. Message #7 of 8 May 13, 2018
    Last edited: May 13, 2018
    Mysto

Mysto Screenwriter

marv long
    I still can't believe that the Chan's haven't been released in HD - but same with the Thin Man. I would think the demand is enough to be profitable.

I suspect the "Lost Chan's" are truly lost. The vault fire that destroyed the masters was in 1937 - way before TV prints were around. The hope was, and is, that a theater copy is sitting somewhere - but a lot of people are looking and so far...

We have a thread going on mystery series of the 30's and 40's - if you wish we'd love to have you join us there.

Tony Bensley likes this.
  8. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    There is a persistent rumor that the late William K Everson had one of the lost Chans (I forget which one for certain) in his collection but that it disappeared after his passing. It certainly sounds plausible given the depth of material he had.

As for HD I’m not certain that the Oland Chans would benefit much given that most of them had to be sourced from whatever prints they could find since the original materials are long gone. The Toler films would look quite nice however. The Dead Men Tell DVD is especially sharp.

Matt Hough likes this.