What's new

Mystery & Crime Series 30's & 40's (1 Viewer)

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
I hear ya, Marv. Health is always an issue at our age.
I've slowed my postings in other threads mainly due to the influx of endless screen caps seemingly replacing any coherent discussion---satiric or straightforward. I really don't need to see frame-by-frame shots eating up all the space on a thread. Take that as my old dude "harrumph" response.
Maybe I'll work up some energy to post a few commentaries in here soon. Some of the old mysteries just scream for a send up.
I don't care for the comic strip type posts either but it seems a lot of the guys enjoy them.

As always - I subscribe to the different lids for different pots theory. But I too am posting less.

Been thinking about a mystery TV thread. I know there are a lot of guys that enjoy the mystery genre. I know you said you were watching a bunch of " cozy" mysteries.
I've been watching the first Superman serial with Kirk Alyn as Superman. Not really a mystery (they show the Spider Lady early on without her mask), but it's fun to see this early attempt at a live action Superman (with animated flying sequences).

I had heard that the Superman serials (being Warner Bros. DVDs) were rotting and were causing problems. So far so good with my set, but I've only watched five episodes and the problems always start with the second layer.
Howie - I just recently watched the Batman serial with Lewis Wilson for the first time. It's too bad that both of these groundbreaking series have been pretty much forgotten.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Howie, Howie, Howie...
You've known me long enough to know I don't do DVDs or other forms of tech beyond what I watch in my very comfortable recliner that affords me access to cable and streaming services.
My viewing universe is limited to that and sitting on my porch to watch squirrels happily pilfer our bird feeders.
But you guys show me what I miss. Not.
OK... so here's a link to the opening chapter of of the first Superman serial featuring Kirk Alyn:

If you do a search on the site using superman 1948 you'll find most (all?) of the rest of the chapters (scattered among other stuff with superman in the title) as well as some from the next serial, "Man of Steel."

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
I don't care for the comic strip type posts either but it seems a lot of the guys enjoy them.

As always - I subscribe to the different lids for different pots theory. But I too am posting less.

Been thinking about a mystery TV thread. I know there are a lot of guys that enjoy the mystery genre. I know you said you were watching a bunch of " cozy" mysteries.

Howie - I just recently watched the Batman serial with Lewis Wilson for the first time. It's too bad that both of these groundbreaking series have been pretty much forgotten.
Well, Marv. It didn't take us long to shake some coconuts out of the trees here...

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I agree. They're quite fun. The Batman serials are quite primitive with a "Batmobile" that's nothing but a dark colored, regular, car and suits that aren't much better than a kid's Halloween costume. The stories are also rather mundane mystery type things (which fit here quite nicely). In spite of that I really enjoy them, but I also very much enjoy all of the serials of the 30s/40s I've seen, even those in genres I normally don't watch. Those are things I'll blind buy even if the copy isn't all that good just so I can see them.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Both Kirk Alyn and Noelle Neil show up in a deleted scene in Superman '78 - they play the parents of a young Lois Lane (who is on the train that Clark runs faster than).
IIRC that scene is restored in the "Extended Edition" (aka the TV cut) and Donner's "Director's Cut" SE. It's been a while since I've seen either of those (but I recently purchased the Warner Archives release of the two) so don't remember for sure.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
IIRC that scene is restored in the "Extended Edition" (aka the TV cut) and Donner's "Director's Cut" SE. It's been a while since I've seen either of those (but I recently purchased the Warner Archives release of the two) so don't remember for sure.
train.jpg

And here they are.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, when TCM was showing the Batman and Robin serial, I took my Batman serial off the shelf and watched it and then watched Batman and Robin from my own DVDs so I could see both serials over the course of a few days instead of the theatrical way TCM was showing them. Agree with earlier comments about the mundane storytelling and primitive costumes, Batmobile, etc. Still, loads of fun.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
I you want to start a cozy mystery thread, Marv--I'll be there to post vociferously. In fact, don't even limit it to "mysteries". There's plenty of other kinds of "cozy" English series that deserve commentaries. Stuff like The Darling Buds of May, All Creatures Great and Small, Larkrise to Candleford, Lovejoy, Doctor Findley, etc. etc. etc.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
I you want to start a cozy mystery thread, Marv--I'll be there to post vociferously. In fact, don't even limit it to "mysteries". There's plenty of other kinds of "cozy" English series that deserve commentaries. Stuff like The Darling Buds of May, All Creatures Great and Small, Larkrise to Candleford, Lovejoy, Doctor Findley, etc. etc. etc.
Russ - I think you should start a thread with just your alternative reviews. Then you could rag on any TV items that grab your attention. I'm sure it would be well received. Just a thought.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
It's time to bump this thread again. I'm still watching a lot of these great movies. Last night we watched The Lone Wolf Keeps a Date. But this post is to share some Charlie Chan outtakes. Enjoy.

Good one, dude! Love outtakes from the oldies---not easy to find.
I've been catching up on my Sherlock Holmes lately, so I might be obliged to write a few words in here.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
It's time to bump this thread again. I'm still watching a lot of these great movies. Last night we watched The Lone Wolf Keeps a Date. But this post is to share some Charlie Chan outtakes. Enjoy.

"The Lone Wolf Keeps a Date" (1940) is probably my favorite in the series, in large part to leading lady Frances Robinson, who was also good in the Universal serials "Tim Tyler's Luck" (1937) and "Red Barry" (1938). Stardom eluded her, but she continued on for many years in smaller character parts. Old radio-shows, too, I think.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Warner Brothers needs to step up and release the Chan movies on BR! They look quite good on DVD, but a BR set, done right with 2 films/disc, would take up far less real estate on my shelves!

Once that's done they can do the Mr. Moto ones...

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
It is seldom that we get anything new on these great old mysteries but....
Kino has just announced Mr. Wong in Blu from new HD 2K scans. (You can read more in the Kino-Lorber release thread.)
Mr. Wong is not Charlie Chan, or even Mr. Moto but I'll take what I can get.
Get ready for the June 20 release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks