What's new

My Yamaha 2095 died! (1 Viewer)

John DeSantis

Stunt Coordinator
My RX-V2095 died last night. Just hear a slight click when pressing the on button, like it's trying but nothing happens. Disconected all components one by one. Still dead. Removed cover and checked fuse. It's OK.

Problem is nearest service center is 60 miles. I'm thinking the power supply board is probably bad but can't find a service manual for less that 52.00. I just wanted to identify the part number.

The Unit is 4 years old and this is the first problem. Just wondering if any other 2095 owners out there have had a similar problem and what the fix was?

Thanks

Pus Suchre

Stunt Coordinator
If it was mine, it would be a service trip- cuz I know nothing about the insides of these things.

Wish you luck.

Bob_M

Stunt Coordinator
I'll keep my fingers crossed on my 2095. I have had mine for about 4 years now @ 8 hours/day. Sorry to hear about yours.

Bob

DonnyD

Screenwriter
OH NO.....! The trip will certainly be well worth it to get your 2095 repaired..... I had a 2095 for several years before going to a RX-V1, selling the 2095 to a friend... it would now be about 6 yrs old now..... Great piece of equipment..... and is still kicking.
Yams are built like tanks and I'm surprised to hear of one of their older flagships just "quitting".... but it will still be worth the bucks to fix! Good luck.....

John DeSantis

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, it's been so good for so long. 4/99

I think it has a dead short. When I hit the Switch and there's a light on the same circuit, I see the lamp flicker!

It's off to Cleveland!

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
No chance you've got a stray speaker wire shorting the terminals is there?

Bob_M

Stunt Coordinator
>When I hit the Switch and there's a light on the same circuit, I see the lamp flicker!<
Mine does that even when it's working. I hear a click and se a lamp flicker.

Bob

I'm curious where you're having it repaired. Electra-Sound? They repaired my 2095 a year ago for a different problem (remote volume control stopped working) and its worked great ever since.

John DeSantis

Stunt Coordinator
John: Yes, took it to Electra-Sound in Parma. The only other Yamaha Service was Columbus. I'm in Youngstown area.

There were no Speaker wire shorts. As I said, I removed each connection and tried to Power up.

hey said a week to 10 days is normal repair time. We shall see!

Bob_M

Stunt Coordinator
>They repaired my 2095 a year ago for a different problem (remote volume control stopped working) and its worked great ever since. <

Every once in a while the remote volume control does not work on my 2095. The screen indicated Volume up or down but the dial does not move. All I do is get up and move the dial a little and it works again. How much was your repair if I may ask?

Bob

John DeSantis

Stunt Coordinator
I can't believe this but Electra Sound called and said the unit can't be repaired. Said it had "liquid damage" and wouldn't be feasable to repair! This is hard to accept. They may be partially right though. My Wife insisted on hanging a Plant in the same corner as the Unit. I kep telling her she may spill water on the Yammy when she waters the plant. She just said she was being very careful. Well, looks like not careful enough!

I've looked inside and the thing looks normal. No burnt components etc. I can't believe I have to scrap this thing. We're talking about a 1200.00 Receiver! But if Yamaha Service can't fix it then I'm screwed!

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Sorry to hear about the water damage as it appears you've lost a great receiver! How long did it take for your wife to turn blue after you cut off her oxygen!!!LOL

Hanging a plant over any electronics is definitely an accident waiting to happen. Regardless how careful one is, things DO happen and this one was costly for ya. Did your wife ever admit to a "little" water spill?

After over 2 years, I still miss my 2095 and feel it wasn't much of an upgrade (if any) when I went to the V1. Sound quality of the 2095 was superb......

Good luck with a replacement.......what do ya think your wife will buy you?

John DeSantis

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, like you said. It was an accident waiting to happen. It was as much my fault for not insisting she move the freakin Plant! She feels bad but hasn't admitted splilling any water. She did however remark "well go get another one, I'll pay for it" :)

I'm now concerned with spending this much again for a HTR. The ones with all the best features are complicated Units such as the 2095. I don't have much faith in these so called "service centers" It doesn't look to me like they even touched anything inside my Yammy. I still can't believe the thing is beyond repair. If it was water or liquid that caused a short etc. then why didn't the fuse blow? I'm sure there is internal protection even beyond a fuse to protect the circuitry.

Well, open to suggestions for a good HTR in the 6 to 7 hundred range.

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter

She may have not realized the water problem.
Our plants around the house after watering & if not careful, the pot first catches the overfill and then if over watered that pot will flood.
By the time this had taken place she may have been long out of the room.

If you find out that it truly is not repairable, id be interested in the purchase of the remotes and maybe the unit for possible spare parts.
I purchased a old display 2095 months ago without the remotes.

feel free to pm or email me.

Pus Suchre

Stunt Coordinator
Is there no one else that can look at it? My HK had "water" damage and hopefully all it needs is a replacement part. It's in the shop now. At least your wife is willing to let you invest in a new receiver. It's sometimes hard to spend $1000 plus family money on a "non-essential".

Best of luck.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I agree with the above post that this probably calls for another opinion...... My son is my source for electronics repair... although he is a phone repairman..... it's pretty much all the same when you open them up..... Recently, we had a receiver that started "buzzing" sometimes... he opened it up and found a loose solder joint.....

The repair shop you took the 2095 to may well have determined "liquid damage" and also decided that tracing down bad components may be too time consuming so they may not have even tried.....

Is your wife doing "kareoke" while your receiver is out of commission? Good luck.....

John DeSantis

Stunt Coordinator
Not sure what I'm going to do with it. I E-Mailed Yamaha and described what happened. I wanted to know why there was no Circuit Protection activated and how the Unit could be so damaged by water droplets. It's not like a whole glass of water got dumped on it.

Haven't received a reply yet. I asked that the message be addressed by someone who could give me an explanation. These units are Modular in design for ease of service. I can't accept it being totally destroyed. As I said, inside there is no apparent damage. I can feel and hear a small relay click in the Power supply section. So, could be a dead short. I'd like to get my hands on a Schematic for this thing. I could at least see where the Power stops. I used to fool around repairing TVs etc. years ago. My Dad was a TV repair Man. But, Schematics became very expensive and I drifted away from that hobby.

Anyway, I'll see what Yamaha's response is.

Pus Suchre

Stunt Coordinator
The first HK authorized service dealer I took my HK AVR to refused to even look at my baby- the "water damage" was cat pee. They told me I was wasting their time and my money. Well, this is a list price $2000 machine- surely it was worth at least a look?

Anyway, I found another HK service dealer (much farther away unfortunately)and they cheerfully looked at it. They diagnosed that a small switching relay needed to be replaced. It should cost me under $200.

Anyway, these things are too expensive to just throw away. Planned obsolescence better be at least 7 years from now.

Good luck with this!

John DeSantis

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for your input Pus. Maybe I should try another Service Center. I'm sure not going to scrap it, at least not yet.

By the way, make sure you let the first HK Service Center know that it's being fixed. These guys are like Auto Dealers. The products they sell are too complex for the average mechanic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks