What's new

My Home Theater Page (1 Viewer)

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
Just bumped into this and wanted to share it.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/com...-what-its-like-to-visit/ss-BBLHj6b?li=BBnbfcN
Really miss the old experience of browsing and smelling the popcorn and reading all the jackets. Streaming is great in bad weather but lacks the emotional part with all the kids running around the store and the monitors playing different movies and trailers.
Not to mention the playback quality of hard copy.
Both video and audio.

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
Still working on the 1st floor. The bathroom tiling just got done. Another hiccup is the vinyl floor installer bailed on treating the sub floor. I guess it is a lot more work than he thought for the treatment quote he gave me. He suggested to top the rough sub-floor with a quarter inch
Luan plywood, he said it would of course be much smoother, something that is very important for the vinyl floor because all the imperfections in the sub-floor would show through.
I took my TABE test at unemployment on Friday morning and totally bombed in the math test. I forgot so much basic math I was embarrassed. Looks like I will be taking refresher courses on math at least.
My granddaughters 2nd birthday was Saturday and now the living room looks like Toy R Us and a hurricane aftermath.
I am slowly beginning to accept that it could be several more months.
Contemplating getting a job working as a helper doing custom installations, I applied for a lead installer but not qualified. They said they would train, but the helper is more where I'm at as far as experience goes.
Saw a couple of jobs at Best Buy for the Geek Squad as well. Once again entry level is all I am qualified for.
Top dollar was 16$ an hour.
So torn. Do I go to school and work till I'm 70 or just get enough to continue the house and retire at 67.
There is a company in a city 3 miles from my home that does 3D printing. They make metal parts like a machinists would make and do it much better and cheaper. They are global and make parts for the defense department. There sales have grown 300% each year for the last 3 years. I would love to get into their company.
Just found out today that there is speakers being made with 3D printers. Both the drivers, with several different materials as well as the cabinets. Perfect cabinets, air tight and computer modeling for TS parameters.
So much for machinists having jobs much longer, and look out cabinet makers.
Man the world is really changing with AI, and robots, and machines doing more and more human jobs much faster and cheaper.
By the time I get my gear hooked back up we will probably have a different president.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Trying to decide if I want to keep using my current a/v rack for my equipment as I have had the rack since about 1995! If I keep it I will have to at least replace the rear panel so I do not see all the cables hanging on the back of the rack. I just want it to look really good especially with a new Marantz SR-8012 in the mix. Just want to get through the next 3 weeks so I can be really close to making my purchase. Am still trying to decide if I want to go right back into saving mode the following week after making the receiver purchase. I know I want HDR & Dolby Vision so maybe I should just replace the current Samsung and I can save it and use it for the bedroom tv.

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
Decisions decisions decisions.
Make sure you get what you want.
Otherwise you will regret settling for less.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I would most likely get these if I replace my Altec A-7's

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/bowers...aker-each-gloss-black/6027605.p?skuId=6027605

Those 800 series are a little rich for my blood starting out at around $8,500 each to $15K each

Currently the way it is looking as long as my job keeps up. The amount of money that might be spent is a large percentage of my income and I know I wouldn't be able to do this if I had my own place right now.

Marantz SR-8012 Surround Sound Receiver
Sony OLED 55" - 65" 4K TV or 75" LED 4K TV
2 Pair of Bowers & Wilkins 685 C2 Bookshelf Speakers (Surrounds)
4K Blu-ray with HDR & Dolby Vision
Cherry Wood A/V Rack
2 Pair of Bowers & Wilkins 685 C2 Bookshelf Speakers (Atmos/Auro 3D Hight Channels)
Emotiva Three Channel Power Amp
Thorns or Marantz Turntable
Marantz CD/SACD player

Own apartment

If possible after:
1970's Marantz or Pioneer Receiver
Pioneer Reel To Reel Tape Deck
JBL L100 Speakers

Buy as many 4K movies as I can and buy some 1080 blu-ray titles

Don't really want anything beyond that and I can more than live without the vintage gear if I had to and would be more than happy with being able to get the gear listed above apartment. Minimum on that list above that I want to accomplish is the 8012 and 2 pair of bookshelf speakers.

Last edited:

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
Of course I was just kidding. I just couldn't help admiring the build quality and wanted to say your B and Ws come from a fine company that is well respected in the industry.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Adding a goal and I almost forgot that I needed to do this. I need to get my original DTS Cinema poster framed along with the Star Trek poster that is not a production poster. And at some point I want to get a Dolby Atmos poster, 1977 Star Wars, Raiders Of The Lost Ark and maybe 2-3 other movie posters and have them framed. I really would like to get as much done as quickly as possible and what ever doesn't get done after I get my own place I am ok if it doesn't get done for some time or not at all. I am going to look over a number of reviews then try to do one on my 8012 after I have had it for a few weeks. Looks like I will have to dig out a few SACD's to do some audio listening tests as currently they and the CDs along with the DVD-A are all packed.

IMG_0022b.jpg

poster_zpsfhlhag3v.jpg

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
With companies already offering DTS-X and Dolby Atmos and some adding Auro 3D I honestly can not see them adding another format. They may use L-ISA for live applications then do a remix and use DTS-X or Atmos unless Auro 3D capibility reaches a high enough threshold. Still waiting to see how much I can possibly get a Sony OLED for then I will look at LED options and the option of just sticking with my non HDR/Dolby Vision display for now. I figure not only would a new display give me HDR/Dolby Vision capability in the main system then I will have my LG 43" HDR display on my pc and the Samsung 55" 4K non HDR can be moved and used as a bedroom tv.

Coming Soon!

1ab940af-c252-410d-a9eb-75539e8d4df5.jpg

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
About 26 days and counting till I pay for my Marantz SR-8012! I love that I will have it 100% paid off all at once and will not owe anyone for it and will not pay extra in interest!

Movies to buy before the new year!
Avengers movies on 4K Blu-ray
Christine on 4K Blu-ray
The Quick And The Dead on 4K Blu-ray
2001 on 4K Blu-ray
Braveheart on 4K Blu-ray
Gladiator on 4K Blu-ray
Jurassic Park: Fallen Kingdom on 4K Blu-ray
The Matrix on 4K Blu-ray
The Incredibles on 4K Blu-ray
The Post on 4K Blu-ray
First 3 Fast And Furious Movies on 4K Blu-ray
Solo on 4K Blu-ray

I guess I really need to decide on if it is worth the cost of lower picture brightness to have the OLED or to go LED! Also need to see if I can work the cost of a tv between 9/12 and 12/31. If I go through getting a new tv then I hope to have it before Christmas and it would be interesting if anyone notices the new tv during Christmas dinner while we watch a Christmas movie. The first of the year I want to be saving for my B&W 685 C2 bookshelf speakers for my surround channels to upgrade the current Advent Marble speakers. I can only hope this current job holds up that long but at least long enough to pay for the new receiver! The following week I would have enough to pay for the Marantz SR7012 if I had to go back to my original choice. But I am shooting for the beast 8012! This process boiled down to a chosen few from Marantz, Denon & Yamaha and I did consider Sony. But the winner and the receiver that will grace my a/v rack will soon be the Marantz SR-8012!

The end of this year will finally see a full 4K video chain from player to receiver to display so a dream/goal realized. Also realized is stepping up to Dolby Atmos and DTS-X and it sounds like Auro 3D will be very nice to have! I plan on doing some critical listening after spending about a week fine tuning this beast to sound as good as I can. It is also my intention to do a review of this receiver and hope it may help someone make a choice on a flagship receiver. There are alot of choices for receivers still but Marantz and Denon are doing a great job. Yamaha makes a good product as well and it would be tough to say to someone not to buy a Yamaha. I still have my Yamaha RX-V995 that is hooked up to my pc. That was my home theater receiver that was eventually replaced by the Pioneer Elite SC-05. Review and pictures to follow!

Intergrated Amp/ Pre Pro/ Receiver History
Kenwood Intergrated Amp 75/ch
Onkyo Intergrated Amp 100/ch
Denon Prologic Intergrated Processor 55/ch Prologic
McIntosh MX-130 pre/pro Prologic/THX
Yamaha RX-V995 Surround Receiver 100/ch Dolby Digital/DTS 5.1
Pioneer Elite SC-05 130/ch 7.1 Dolby True HD/Dolby Digital Plus/DTS-HD Master Audio

Next:
Marantz SR-8012 Surround Sound Receiver 7.2.4 (11 channel) Dolby Atmos/DTS-X/Auro 3D/Dolby True HD/DTS-HD Master Audio

http://www.us.marantz.com/us/Produc...CatId=AVReceivers&SubCatId=0&ProductId=SR8012

marantz_sr8012_11_2_channel_network_.jpg

marantz_sr8012_2.jpg

cine_en_casa_marantz_sr8012_.jpg

marantzaudiomagnet-1500x1000.jpg

1ab940af-c252-410d-a9eb-75539e8d4df5.jpg

Last edited:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Mmmmmm not finding much of anything encoded in Auro 3D. Unless Auro 3D gets it's act together that format will die if it has not actually died already.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
My Pioneer Elite SC-05 7.1 surround sound receiver pulling surround duty with Harry Potter And The Sorcerer's Stone from a 4K blu-ray! By 9/21/2018 I expect my Marantz SR-8012 to arrive from Texas. I will most likely spend about a week fine tuning the audio settings before putting the SR-8012 through it's paces, taking notes and doing some critical listening. I hope to be doing a review of the Marantz! Receiver will be bought and paid for and on order 9/12/18!

IMG_1752a.jpg

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Am narrowing down any possible tv upgrade and while I was seriously thinking of a 70" - 82" 4K LED 4K TV. I would be in serious trouble space wise if I ended up in a small apartment. I am leaning towards the Sony XBR55A8F 55" OLED 4K TV with HDR10 and Dolby Vision. I have not decided on getting a tv for sure but I am narrowing it down and this would be my 2nd Sony TV if I buy it. One thing is for sure and that is if I get a Sony OLED and I have the Marantz SR-8012 that is going to seriously raise the level of my home theater. Especially after I get my Bowers & Wilkens 685 C2 bookshelf speakers for the surrounds! And if I move into my own apartment I for sure need to get renters insurance in case my apartment gets broken into.

Also have my eye on a Marantz TT-15S1 Turntable or a Thornes TD 295 MK Turntable! I am still on the fence about getting my Sony DVP-S9000 ES DVD/CD/SACD player repaired. I actually have had this in the shop twice and even though it is a beautiful player and sounds really good. I might invest in a new player that has not been in the repair shop twice already. Might go with a Marantz CD/SACD player?

Sony 55 OLED.jpg

222d34db908fcdfb8572ccbbc92bb6c3_4000x.progressive.jpg

20160624_110245a.jpg

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
Hanging in. Have appointment 9-5 at career center. Unemployment is super slow.
How bout you??
Are you all saved up?

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Not yet but getting there! I am currently at my goal and will meet my goal next Wednesday as well. I am down to 5 working days to get the rest of the money needed for my new receiver. I will not get that paycheck till the following Friday 9/12 then I will be placing the receiver on order and having it shipped to my home. So it will be a done deal as soon as I clock out 9/7. I would have had a 5 day paycheck but working through an agency I do not get holiday pay so tomorrow is working day 5 then the countdown starts up again on Tuesday after Labor Day. Hope your unemployment starts up soon so you can have that income.

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
Checks have started got 3 already, just the training and counseling is at a snails pace.
I am so happy for you about your upgrade. You deserve a new toy. And the complexity should keep you busy for some time.
Just make sure you post all your findings and share any information on speaker placement and settings.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks