What's new

My Home Theater Page (2 Viewers)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Thanks Bob, I am as giddy as a school boy right now ROFL I thought about just going with the 7012 and saving some money. But then I decided after looking them both over that the 8012 was the one to go with. Especially since audio is very important to me and since the 8012 has 11 discrete channels. There is a chance that this may be the last great receiver I may ever be able to buy and I may not be able to afford one in the future. I am figuring out long term plans on what I really need before I get out of my current living arrangement. The receiver and rear speakers is very important and if that is it then I will focus on other things and I need to have a permanent full time job instead of working through an agency. With the receiver and speakers I will be at the level where I am full 4K thought out the a/v chain from player to receiver all the way to the display. And I will have Dolby Atmos and DTS-X. I also need to fix the cables on my Dual turntable, pick up a 4 port or 8 port switch, speaker stands for the bookshelf speakers. Moving forward based on the direction my finances have been for so many years I feel I need to do this now as it may not happen later. I will have a nice system once I get my own place and it will be 100% paid for which will mean I will not have to stress over it.

Going to a 35mm screening of Raising Arizona tonight

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
This coming Wednesday I will have $1300 put aside for the new receiver and hope to have $1,700 the following week

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Oh it is going to be a challenge to get the speaker configuration down for Atmos, DTS-X and Auro 3D! Saving for an expensive receiver and being broke for almost 2 months will seem simple compared to trying to figure out the best speaker placement for 3 competing immersive formats. I feel a bad headache coming on, rofl. I have plenty of time to figure this out and besides after I move to my own place I will have to set it up all over again. New surrounds will not be purchased till next year so I will not actually have the Atmos/DTS-X/Auro set up till next year. But will be enjoying the 8012 even without the immersive set up till then. I already have the pdf version of the owners manual downloaded so I will be going through that for the next 1 plus month till the new receiver arrives. Am looking forward to an upgrade from the Pioneer Elite SC-05 I am currently using. On Wednesday I will have $1300 saved up and should be up to $1700 the following Wednesday. Hoping to have around $1900 at the end of this month. So at that point if everything is on track and the bills are paid. Then the first paycheck of September should see me at $2300 and then the second paycheck should do it and I will be paying for it and just waiting for it to arrive.

I will at least take some unboxing photos as I am also wanting to do a review on the receiver and will also see how that goes.

Marantz-SR8012-Black-5b43.jpg

1ab940af-c252-410d-a9eb-75539e8d4df5.jpg

Dolby Atmos SPI Cinemas Press Meet.jpg

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
Well I know Auro disagrees with Atmos and DTS X about the placement, and they are the top dog on immersive. I read a lengthy interview in Wide Screen with the founder and he explained why his placement was better and the correct out of the 3 formats.
https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technol...tmos-home-theater-installation-guidelines.pdf
I know I posted this several times but give it a look.
Like you and John I will someday get around to experimenting with best sound placement for height speakers, starting with the recommendations and then copying Auro plans to see witch one I think sounds best to me.
I will look up witch issue in Wide Screen that has the interview with the founder of Auro and I will post it.

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
No Dave, it was an interview with the founder. Several pages. Hopefully I will get some time tonight to log onto the Webzine site and lookup the issue that contains it. Hopefully I can print it and then scan it to the computer and send it to you. I am not sure about the copyright so I hope I am not doing something wrong by sharing the information. The way I see it I paid for the magazine with my subscription so since it is a past issue and not currently on the newsstands I am not hurting any sales.

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
Dave I found it it is in issue 188. I will try to attach a pdf file for you. I hope you can open it with Adobe.
Pages 32 to 39

Attachments

• 188pdfs_188os.pdf
    864.9 KB · Views: 347

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
Here is part 2 issue 189
I downloaded it in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC
Hopefully you can open it with the same program on your computer, let me know if you can.

Attachments

• 189pdfs_189os01.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 514

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Thank you Bob I will check it out later today as I will be heading out the door to see a Neil Diamond tribute nearby. Currently there doesn't seem to be much in Auro 3D and I have emailed Auro to find out about more future content. I will also being going through the pdf version of the owners manual and have myself up to speed before the receiver passes through the front door. I will also be doing tons of research on speaker placement and need to find out if my friend can get me the Bowers & Wilkens 685 C2 bookself speakers I want to run for my surrounds that will match my Bowers & Wilkens center channel. Then I can focus on placing the current surrounds in there immersive placement and calibrate it and enjoy. I will most likely plan for a movie night and invite my neighbors as well once the Marantz is set up and calibrated and I can demo Atmos, X and Auro.

Hope things are going well with you. Have you had your last day at work yet? Things are going well here and it is also hot and humid as well. Thanks again for the article which I will read later tonight.

Oh the Marantz will take up alittle more space then the current Pioneer Elite SC-05 does.

20180804_084643a.jpg

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Now I am not sure where I got the almost 10" high measurement but it looks like that is wrong. It is actually closer in size to the Pioneer Elite than I thought which honestly doesn't matter!

Pioneer Elitel SC-05
Height 7.87"
Depth 18.09"
Weight 40lbs 13 oz

Marantz SR-8012
Height 7.3"
Depth 18.1"
Weight 38lbs 6oz

So it is just a little smaller size wise but that is ok it is what is on the inside that counts and how well it performs! The Pioneer will be boxed up and kept for emergency back up just incase the Marantz has to go to the shop for any insane reason. The Yamaha RX-V995 will most likely go on pulling audio duty for my pc. Will add an 8 port gigabit switch to the rack later on to feed an internet connection to the tv, receiver and 4K blu-ray player and anything else I need to in the future.

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
Well to quote Aerosmith " you won't be whipping out your big 10" to show off the new receiver LOL.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Well at least I figured out where I got the initial size of the receiver from. It was from Best Buys website! Maybe that is the height of the shipping box?

8012 size.jpg

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
mmmmmmm

https://emotiva.com/collections/amps/products/xpa-3-gen3

The XPA-3 Gen3 is a three-channel audiophile power amplifier. The XPA-3 Gen3 offers excellent technical performance, and an exceptionally accurate and dynamic rendition of all types of music.

The XPA-3 Gen3 features three of our High-Powered Single Channel Modules – for a total of three high-powered channels, which makes it the ideal choice to power the three important front channels in a great sounding home theater or surround sound music system. The XPA-3 Gen3 delivers 275 Watts RMS x 3 into 8 Ohms with all channels driven (and 300 Watts RMS into 8 Ohms or 490 Watts RMS into 4 Ohms with two channels driven); and, because it’s modular, you can add up to four additional amplifier modules to the XPA-3 Gen3 when you decide you need them.

xpag3_XPA3-1_1500x.jpg

xpag3_rear_1500x.jpg

Last edited:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Bowers & Wilkins 685 C2 Bookshelf Speakers ( For Surround Channels)

If everything continues to go well next year after I get my Marantz SR-8012 these will be next! I will consider the Emotiva power amp to power the front three channels. Hard to say but not ruling out just sticking with running the 8012 as is with no external assistance!

685.jpg

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
Nice amp. See how the Marantz sounds first. You might not need the help. I really hope you can open the pdf files, the interview is so informative. The latest I have been reading about Atmos is that the encoding stinks and they are taking short cuts. Very non impressive.
I may have to swap out my pre pro to get Auro, or at least add another processor on to one of the inputs to get it. I got my termination letter last Friday and then was told I could do another week and my boss would write a new letter with a different date. I bailed and put a claim in.
Now I am in the process of picking out what kind of training to stay employed into my 70s. Looking into electronics, and computers so I can enjoy what I do and apply my training to my hobby as well. The pay in the computer field is crazy high, electronics not so much. One job after about 5 yrs of training and almost 27000$ for school pays 50$ an hour. Sounds like a great investment for a younger person.
Still living off of all the posts on several forums since my equipment is still mothballed. Feel like I'm in purgatory for all the bad things I have done in the past. LOL I have been hinting to my daughter to thin out some of the toys that my granddaughter has outgrown so I can have some room to hook up the gear time to time when they are not home. That way I could watch a movie or hear some music and just take everything apart before they come back home and we would both be happy. Baby comes first before pleasure. Just sitting here doing time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks