What's new

My Home Theater Page (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
My first smart phone was a Samsung Galaxy S3 then the S6 and now the S9+. One of the main reasons I broke down and got a new phone is I knew the longer I waited that my trade in would be worth less and less. I was surprised to only get $50 trade in on my S6. I am happy with my S9+ so far and I will not be upgrading for awhile. I could have lived with the S6 as it was still performing very well and there was nothing wrong with it.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
IMG_1581a.jpg

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
My phone before the S7 was an S 3. Well it is now official, my boss told me today in 2 weeks I am unemployed. I had no animosity towards him. He is one of 2 owners of the company, and he is the hands on boss. His brother went to Harvard and majored in business. He didn't but runs the place with 150 employees at one time better than his brother. Saw this coming about 5 yrs ago so no surprise to me. I am going to ask for retraining while collecting. I would get 30 weeks and if in training they will give me another 25 weeks. Buys me another yr, and I hopefully can learn computers or something not physical that an old person can do for as long as he wants. How goes the battle with your search for employment?

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
At least you are no longer wondering and you can now move on and focus on job training to get into a different field. As far as computer work goes the basic entry level certification is to my knowledge still the A+ certification. And getting that your not going to make much as most companies now look at computers like the average person looks at a toaster. After that is Microsoft Network Certification which I believe they are now calling Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert. To get into a job that pays well you need to be able to be a pc tech and a network administrator and you should most likely end up with a Cisco certification.

A+ Technician
Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE)
Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA)

https://www.knowledgenet.com/certifications/5-demand-certifications/

But it couldn't hurt taking Microsoft Office training even if you do not train for the computer field.

Right now I am still at my two week assignment that is on it's 6th week and last week I worked 8 hours of ot on Saturday and I will be doing the same this week. I made it to the interview process with the water department with a city and am waiting to see if I make it to the next step. Other than that I need to apply for more jobs but have not been doing that like I should because I work in the heat and humidity and by the time I get home I just have a hard time motivating myself to job hunt. But even when I was applying I was not getting very many interviews and or calls. I can not get past the thought there is something that is causing me not to get called for interviews because I should be at least getting some calls. I need to get something full time working as a direct hire and I need for this to happen by the end of the year. The company I am working for through an agency is actually not a bad company and they are good to there employees. Need something that can work into good pay in a reasonable amount of time. Don't think I would turn down a job offer from this company and I would have to take things as they come. I would also have to see what they would actually offer me vs what the agency is paying me.

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
That is great news getting Saturday OT. It's nice when money is coming in. I have mixed emotions, kind of am relieved to know what I suspected is correct and instead of coming in to work everyday with an awful feeling like is today the day or tomorrow, now I can move to what ever happens next. I at least know I won't starve, but sick of the construction game and really miss my surround sound with movies and my music as well. Crowded over here and that can make me itchy with a B. At least the weekend scratch and sniff with the insulation is over with and drywall is 90% done, plasterers begin Friday. Now have to make my way to the cellar and demo an old in-law studio apartment, clean out whatever I can and then empty my attic out and bring everything I am saving down to the clean cellar. I think we should not do the second phase of construction and just pay off the first floor remodel, and get the extra rent money for income. My wife wants to do the whole project still. If she lost her job or passed away I would really lose my shirt.
Would you still take a gamble if you were me or would you scale back and play it safe?
First estimate to paint downstairs is 6000$.
I would love to do it myself since I will be unemployed, but the wife says it would take me too long.
Sounds rather expensive for 5 rooms and a bathroom and walk in closet.
I am happy you have had some good luck for a change and I hope you get the city water job.
Keep me posted and I will do the same

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
Well Dave 1 more week to go.
Came home this afternoon to the downstairs apartment all plastered, like I'm going to be in a few hours LOL.
Going to start to tackle the demo in the cellar in-law apartment.
Here is a few pics. Any news on the city water job?
Next will be paint and then the trim and the floor and 2nd final coat of paint.
Seems to finally be speeding up.

Attachments

• 20180720_165828.jpg
    20180720_165828.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 25
  • 20180720_170121.jpg
    20180720_170121.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 20
  • 20180720_170108.jpg
    20180720_170108.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 32

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I was hoping to work tomorrow as well and hoping to work next Saturday so I would have 16 hours of OT on my following check. I really want to get the money saved up as fast as possible to get that Marantz purchased 100% and not owe anything. Will have to wait and see what happens next as this assignment was only supposed to be 2 weeks but I will be starting week 7 on Monday. If I can get the money saved for the Marantz SR-7012 which I think is my best choice. I am not sure taking more time to get the 8012 flagship model is worth the large jump in investment. The SR-7012 will most likely give me the performance, features and flexibility that I am looking for. After that I really need to figure out the upgrade path for my rear surrounds so I can relocate my Advent's and place them for the Atmos/X channels. I have to assume my finances will be horrible after I move and I can not assume that I will have the money for the receiver and speakers after I move. I do want to get out of where I am and at least at that point I will not have to worry about someone messing with my stuff when I am at work.

It is a relief knowing what is going to happen and not be wondering the entire time. If your going to be on unemployment and your wifes paycheck I would be weary of spending more money on getting your part of the house fixed up. How badly does your upstairs need the work? If it really doesn't and still looks good I would keep that money in case something comes up where you might need the money to cover something. You have to decide if you want to risk loosing the house if spending the money places you at risk if your wife was to loose her job. How badly does the house need the work and do you want to take the risk to fix it now in case your not able to years down the road.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Hoping current temp job lasts through the end of August! This Wednesday I will be putting $500 aside towards a Marantz SR-7012 surround receiver.

September 5th Goal: Brand New Marantz SR-7012

After careful consideration and looking over models from Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Sony and Pioneer Elite I will be going with the Marantz SR-7012 as I do not think anything can match what it brings to the table.

If possible I would like to add two pair of Bowers & Wilkens Series 600 686 Bookshelf Speakers to upgrade my current Advent Marble speakers I am using for my surround channels. If I am able to get these then the Advents will be moved to Atmos/X duty till I can replace them with matching Bowers & Wilkens bookshelf speakers.

Current Plan
Marantz SR-7012 Surround Receiver
Some 4K UHD Blu-ray titles and maybe a 1080p blu-ray or two.

Bonus for 2018
Bowers & Wilkens Bookshelf Speakers (Replacing Advent surround speakers so Advents can be used for Atmos)

For 2019
Bowers & Wilkens Bookshelf Speakers (For Replacing Advent Speakers being used for Atmos duty)
Considering upgrading 4K UHD Blu-ray Player
Decide if I am going to get a projector, upgrade to larger 4k display or just stay with the display I currently have?

All of this depends on my income since I am working through a temp agency. If I do not buy any other gear in 2019 other than additional Bowers & Wilkens speakers to replace Atmos speakers. Then I will concentrate on 4K content and add 1080p blu-ray content for titles that will not be getting a 4K release for a number of years in the future. Depending on finances and if I am stuck moving into an apartment in the near future the plan may have to change from projection to an 80" - 85" 4K display. I also need to get my original DTS theater poster framed and get the Star Trek poser I won framed. I also want a 1977 Star Wars Poster and a Dolby Atmos poster framed all for my home theater.

IMG_2616a.jpg

IMG_0022b.jpg

poster_zpsfhlhag3v.jpg

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Thanks Bob

I also realized I will need speaker stands for the book shelf speakers. And if and when I have to move into an apartment I have a solution to set up Atmos speakers without physically mounting them to the ceiling.

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
Dave the first link has no ratings on power or current. The second link states 125 watts. You need to know what wattage and into what impedance like the common 8 ohms and the lower 4 ohms and weather or not it is high current capable for the out put transistors not to fry if the impedance drops tooo low. I can tell you that all speakers represent a load to the amp and it varies with frequency. Some times it goes very low and the amp can cook the output transistors. As you know I am a little crazy so I got an amp that is stable all the way to a short circuit In other words I covered all the bases for the speakers I use now and forever. I respect you and care about your choices so please find out if it is high current like a lot of the new Onkyo AVs I want you to get good sound and not have to pay for repairs. A good spec should state the power into at least the common 8 ohm load and also 4 and 2 ohms to go to the extreme. Go slow and make sure to get all the power you can..

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Thank you for the feed back Bob, much appreciated. Ok it is back to the SR7014 as the 7004 may say receiver in the discription at the top but lower down it says preamp/processor. And looking at the back photo it is clear this is a processor not a receiver and that explains there being no power rating on it. So no problem and most likely it will be the Marantz SR-7014.

There are a number of good choices out there from Marantz, Denon, Rotel, Yamaha and Onkyo but for quality, performance and sound my best bet is still most likely the Marantz. I still have not hear alot of good things about the Pioneer Elite and I want way better than a standard Pioneer and Sony I honestly do not think can or will cut it. I do like the clean look of the Sony ES receivers but that seems to be it.

https://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=TX-RZ920&class=Receiver&source=prodClass

https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/receivers/avrx6400h

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/av_receivers_amps/rx-a3080_u/index.html

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Elite+Receivers/SC-LX801

https://www.sony.com/electronics/av-receivers/str-za5000es

http://www.us.marantz.com/us/Produc...CatId=AVReceivers&SubCatId=0&ProductId=SR7012

http://www.rotel.com/product/rsp-1582

Last edited:

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
OK Dave all of the equipment will do the job that you have listed. I would pay attention to the stats that include 4 ohms and 2 ohm loads. Most of the receivers won't go there because it is dangerous territory. The lower the impedance the more current gets drawn out of the output transistors and if not up to the task they can fry up. You need to go with a high current design and any manufacturer can achieve this but at a cost of heavy duty output transistors. Your speakers will love the power and you will love the sound. I am biased to Marantz because it was the first low distortion receiver I got with a pair of Large Advents. All the stars were aligned when I got this first system, Advents very neutral 6db slope 2 way crossover and the bass to die for. The Marantz sooooo quiet and I used a Thorens TD150 belt drive turntable. Room was wall to wall carpet and cushioned couch and heavy drapes across a sliding door to an 8th floor balcony in a brand new high rise. I could hear my heart beating some times. All the new equipment is getting with the program little by little but it pays to know what it takes to get the job done and no matter what the budget get the best you can afford. Painter is starting my first floor Saturday morning so still going forward.
Boss gave me a termination letter for Friday but wants me to go another week if all the work I have isn't done on tomorrow. Said he will give me another letter with a different date. I feel like I am being used. The truck drivers that transport work back and forth from the new place and us say they are falling behind and are overloaded and can't meet the delivery dates. My wife says take all the days they offer but I say the hell with them and let them choke on the work without the machinery and skilled help.I have got to get out because it is starting to mess with my head. The truth is they are turning me into a temp worker. They have a cover for a book 2 weeks out and they want to call me on the phone while I'm on unemployment and come in and do the job. I don't think it is the right thing to do. I am taking away the full time employees overtime and making them money and lying to unemployment. Not my style at all. I really am torn the wife wants the money I want to do the right thing. It is all about principle. What would you do?

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I hear what your saying on high current. I remember a number of years ago Harman Kardon had some nice high current receivers. They Onkyo 805 receiver was high current but it also ran as hot as an oven and needed plenty of ventilation. In the past I have had a Kenwood intergrated amp, Onkyo Integra Intergrated amp, McIntosh pre/pro, Denon intergrated processor amp, Yamaha surround receiver and now a Pioneer Elite surround receiver.

That is a nice combo, Marantz, Advent and Thorens.

At least you know where you stand and you can go from there. But I agree with you on the feeling strung along and not lying to unemployment. All it will take is for your employer to get upset about something and tell unemployment your still working for them and if you do not report it there could be problems. Under the right circumstances you might want to work the extra hours but if your done and you feel used and stressed out it doesn't seem like a good thing. It is convenient for them so now they want you to hang in and help them finish the job otherwise they would have kicked you out the door already.

Marantz has been stepping up there game and upgrading there product and Denon should be going that route as well. I have been hearing about HDMI issues with Onkyo and I am not sure if there receivers are still not running on the hot side which I am not crazy about as heat shortens the life of components. And as far as Sony goes I hear people rating the sound as good but I have not cared for there surround modes for some time now and I find there amplifiers to not be stout enough for my liking. I have a Pioneer Elite but there quality control and longevity seems to be an issue and I am not so sure they have fixed those issues. I do really like the sound from a Yamaha but there is so much to love about the Marantz over all and it being more of a audiophile piece that will provide rock solid sound. There is a chance that by the time I am ready to put down the money on the table that I could end up with something else if it will do a better job IMHO but right now it is the Marantz.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks