What's new

MY FAIR LADY 4K restoration completed! Dec. 9th release announced (Post #299) (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
DP 70 said:
The only thing today I find is that the digital picture is so much brighter than the 70mm picture.I think the Pictureville at Bradford are going to upgrade the light on the DP70 as the picture using the Cineramascreen looks so much darker.Before Digital it looked ok.
If done properly, there should be no difference in illumination between a DCP and a print.

14-15 fl are the same, regardless of what is on screen.

RAH

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Robert Harris said:
Blu-rays and DCPs do not always equate. What's good for home theater is not necessarily good for theatre. RAH
Certainly, but despite the issues pointed out with the Blu-rays the studios have released DCP versions of both West Side Story and Vertigo so I take it that they are often much more relaxed with their standards.There even is a DCP of Spartacus out that by all accounts looks very much like the Blu-ray, sounds like an anything goes attitude to me.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
I have run the DCP of West Side Story and it looks and sounds really good .

Version 1 had the 2.20.1 in a DCI 1.85 frame ? then Version 2 had it in a DCI 2.39.1 frame.

WilliamMcK

Second Unit
Real Name
Biff
When I saw West Side Story as part of one of those one day only Fathom Events, I was entirely UNDERwhelmed by the presentation... a few months later the Film Forum in New York had a DCP festival and West Side Story was among the movies screened... if I hadn't known that it wasn't celluloid, I would never have guessed! It looked terrific!

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I am so over the Fathom "Events" that are no better than what you can already get on Blu-ray. I don't see the point of leaving the house to watch the exact same transfer one can watch on Blu-ray. If it were 4k, that would be different.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
Watched LAWRENCE OF ARABIA again last night and wondered if the restoration of MY FAIR LADY would be on par with LOA. Would those who have seen it want to comment.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
trajan said:
Watched LAWRENCE OF ARABIA again last night and wondered if the restoration of MY FAIR LADY would be on par with LOA. Would those who have seen it want to comment.
The new MFL restoration was done by HTF member Robert A. Harris, using a new 8k scan and restored at 4k resolution...HE says buy this upcoming blu-ray with confidence!!! :thumbs-up-smiley:

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
lukejosephchung said:
The new MFL restoration was done by HTF member Robert A. Harris, using a new 8k scan and restored at 4k resolution...HE says buy this upcoming blu-ray with confidence!!! :thumbs-up-smiley:
I have no doubt that it would be very good,but LOA was a +10. I hope we get close to that.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Is there any plan to release My Fair Lady in 4K? Maybe in 2017? I am sure I could live with the blu-ray if the transfer is really nice. I figure I might as well plan on getting some titles in 4K since I am slowly upgrading my ht to 4K. The first piece is in place and that would be my Samsung 4K UHD TV. The next step is a reciever and one of the posibilities is a Marantz SR-7009 with 4K pass through and Dolby Atmos decoding. Then step 3 is a 4k UHD blu-ray player. Step 4 is upgrading my surround speakers and buying 4 matching speakers for the Atmos channels.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Dave Moritz said:
Is there any plan to release My Fair Lady in 4K? Maybe in 2017? I am sure I could live with the blu-ray if the transfer is really nice. I figure I might as well plan on getting some titles in 4K since I am slowly upgrading my ht to 4K. The first piece is in place and that would be my Samsung 4K UHD TV. The next step is a reciever and one of the posibilities is a Marantz SR-7009 with 4K pass through and Dolby Atmos decoding. Then step 3 is a 4k UHD blu-ray player. Step 4 is upgrading my surround speakers and buying 4 matching speakers for the Atmos channels.
Dave Moritz said:
Robert A. Harris hinted earlier in this very thread that My Fair Lady was likely to be one of CBS' very first true-4k blu-ray releases when the discs and player roll out in the 2nd half of 2015... :thumbs-up-smiley:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
trajan said:
I have no doubt that it would be very good,but LOA was a +10. I hope we get close to that.
Lawrence of Arabia also looks very good de to its cinematogrpahy with many well illuminated wide outdoor shots that are of course not really that often seen in My Fair Lady.
So even if MFL is transparent to its large format source within the limitations of the Blu-ray format than it will not look quite as spectacular as LOA.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
OliverK said:
Lawrence of Arabia also looks very good de to its cinematogrpahy with many well illuminated wide outdoor shots that are of course not really that often seen in My Fair Lady.So even if MFL is transparent to its large format source within the limitations of the Blu-ray format than it will not look quite as spectacular as LOA.
Same cameras.Same lenses.Slightly more advanced negative stock.RAH

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Robert Harris said:
Same cameras.Same lenses.Slightly more advanced negative stock.RAH
Judging from the vintage prints I have seen and also from newer prints film grain is less discernible in films shot with 5251 compared to those shot with 5250 and 5248.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
I'm always sad that I cannot share the excitement people feel for this film. It is the most disappointing Hollywood adaptation of a Broadway musical, for me (although I didn't see it on Broadway, I saw the original London production). When I went to see the film (with great excitement), I couldn't believe how different the experience was from the show, on stage. Such exhilaration, permeating every moment on stage, while on film, it just plods along, without an instance of exhilaration. Rex seems bored, Audrey is horrendous in every scene (like a elementary school kid), great dance numbers are rendered as prancing ditties, exteriors look fake, while on stage they looked real, and the entire piece just lies there, making the run time seem double what it is. In my lifetime of movie-going, it's my greatest disappointment. Do I logically know there are worse musical films? Yes; but, their source material isn't anywhere near as great. Hope it looks wonderful, but for me, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
John Maher_289910 said:
Do I logically know there are worse musical films? Yes; but, their source material isn't anywhere near as great.
At least they actually kept close to the source material unlike the travesty being created on the other side of Burbank that year, nor are we forced to swallow parental advice from a woman who broke up a set of twins and drove them to their deaths.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
I have no clue what you're referring to, but I'm not comparing MFL to any
other movie. I'm comparing it to what I saw on stage. The stage version
actually had more scope and cinematic feel, than that big, clunky, dull film.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
My Fair Lady is neither clunky nor dull on screen, unlike that nanny movie that inexplicably won five Oscars (and it really, really needs to have its Film Editing Oscar revoked). 139 minutes of pure torture. There is no combination of actors, writers, directors, composers, lyricists, cinematographers or any professionals (or amateurs) who can make that thing work in any medium.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
John Maher_289910 said:
I'm always sad that I cannot share the excitement people feel for this film. It is the most disappointing Hollywood adaptation of a Broadway musical, for me (although I didn't see it on Broadway, I saw the original London production). When I went to see the film (with great excitement), I couldn't believe how different the experience was from the show, on stage. Such exhilaration, permeating every moment on stage, while on film, it just plods along, without an instance of exhilaration. Rex seems bored, Audrey is horrendous in every scene (like a elementary school kid), great dance numbers are rendered as prancing ditties, exteriors look fake, while on stage they looked real, and the entire piece just lies there, making the run time seem double what it is. In my lifetime of movie-going, it's my greatest disappointment. Do I logically know there are worse musical films? Yes; but, their source material isn't anywhere near as great. Hope it looks wonderful, but for me, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
MatthewA said:
My Fair Lady is neither clunky nor dull on screen, unlike that nanny movie that inexplicably won five Oscars (and it really, really needs to have its Film Editing Oscar revoked). 139 minutes of pure torture. There is no combination of actors, writers, directors, composers, lyricists, cinematographers or any professionals (or amateurs) who can make that thing work in any medium.
Thanks for stopping by, you two! Party crashers are always welcome here. Now be on your way. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks