What's new

MY FAIR LADY 4K restoration completed! Dec. 9th release announced (Post #299) (1 Viewer)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
John Maher_289910 said:
I'm always sad that I cannot share the excitement people feel for this film. It is the most disappointing Hollywood adaptation of a Broadway musical, for me (although I didn't see it on Broadway, I saw the original London production). When I went to see the film (with great excitement), I couldn't believe how different the experience was from the show, on stage. Such exhilaration, permeating every moment on stage, while on film, it just plods along, without an instance of exhilaration. Rex seems bored, Audrey is horrendous in every scene (like a elementary school kid), great dance numbers are rendered as prancing ditties, exteriors look fake, while on stage they looked real, and the entire piece just lies there, making the run time seem double what it is. In my lifetime of movie-going, it's my greatest disappointment. Do I logically know there are worse musical films? Yes; but, their source material isn't anywhere near as great. Hope it looks wonderful, but for me, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
I do hope you realise that yours is an extreme opinion, shared by no-one except yourself.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I "like" MFL; don't think it's the greatest film adaptation of a great musical show. I don't even consider it Cukor's best and certainly not the best film of 1964, or. So, although my minority opinion is not as extreme as John's, I can see his point. Again, it's all a matter of taste and opinion.
Another poster here can't even bring himself to mention the title of another 1964 movie that did very well at the box office and won many awards. But he can't stand the movie, and that's his right. I'm sure he's not the only one to hate that Disney movie. For the record, I'm looking forward to the new BD of MFL.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
It was a treat to see MFL during it's original NYC run at the Criterion Theatre. It was also a treat to see the Robert Harris restoration at The Ziegfeld back in the 90's. One of the few musical films I still enjoy. I say to each their own...

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
trajan said:
Could somebody please tell me if I can put MFL on my Christmas list?
It's hard to guess what the problem/hold-up is at this stage. Any problem with transfers or encoding should have been sorted by now; maybe it's a rights issue for a special feature .. or maybe they can't get in touch with Rex and Audrey for a new audio commentary.
It would be good to have a hint of whether the issues are likely to be resolved soon. Christmas-soon!

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
This is pure speculation on my part but I wonder if it's delayed because it will be the opening night film of the TCM Classic Film Festival? While the opening night film hasn't been announced yet, to date it's always been a musical and usually a new restoration. Last year's opening night film was "Oklahoma!", a few weeks ahead of the Blu-ray release.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Although that would be a long wait just to have it debut at the TCM festival.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
The TCM Film Festival is being held in late March next year, a few weeks earlier than it usually is, and from a PR standpoint you couldn't ask for a better launch than opening night of a film festival. But as I said, it's pure speculation on my part. I could be totally wrong, and probably am.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Mr Harris indicated back when the release date went MIA that it was just to be sure it got the best possible presentation.

While we're visiting SpeculationLand, it may also be that the increased numbers of Blu-rays being pressed for the holiday season means that MFL might have lost its place in the production schedule and that is contributing to the delay now.

I would love to watch this over the December holidays, but I won't mind if it is delayed precisely for the reasons RAH initially stated.
AnthonyClarke said:
It's hard to guess what the problem/hold-up is at this stage. Any problem with transfers or encoding should have been sorted by now; maybe it's a rights issue for a special feature .. or maybe they can't get in touch with Rex and Audrey for a new audio commentary.
It would be good to have a hint of whether the issues are likely to be resolved soon. Christmas-soon!

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Completely agree.
MatthewA said:
Would anyone prefer that CBS rush it out and leave us with two unsatisfactory Blu-rays? It looks like they're trying to get it absolutely right this time, and if that means we have to wait (slightly) longer, it's a good thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks