What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Pre-Order PHE Press Release: My Fair Lady (1964) (4k UHD) (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Interesting how Al Hirschfeld depicts Julie Andrews' Eliza as she was at Covent Garden while he depicts Audrey Hepburn's Eliza as she was at Ascot.

Meanwhile, Rex Harrison capitalized on his identification with the role of Henry Higgins in Dodge Aspen commercials in the 1970s:

Last edited:

Viking61

Agent
Real Name
Asle
This is the artwork shown on Target's pre-order page.

MyFairLady.jpg

Viking61

Agent
Real Name
Asle
;) It may be a Target variant - as it does not state that includes blu-ray discs ... as the earlier cover does.
Videoeta has the same cover in their database. So I think it is the artwork for the regular release, not a Target exclusive variant.

Last edited:

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
And they improved upon what came out in '93 or was it '94? I was working in Sony Classical at the time and the soundtrack of the film had never been released domestically on cd which was crazy. As if the people who worked there had no idea it should be a catalog item. I was given an are you nuts looks when I said it needed to be released. Buyers were bringing it in as an import which had the Peak art work and duplicated the lp contents. It wasn't until Mr. Harris's restoration that they finally released an extended release cd using that (Beaton?)picture of Hepburn with no ribbons and oddly a mini Rex next to her. This was also used as the film's re-release art work. I gave tickets to the premiere at the Ziegfeld to the manager of one of the HMV stores. When I asked him the next day how it was the thing that most impressed him was that Donald and Marla were there. I thought ok.

The 50th Anniversary artwork fortunately took away mini Rex added the swirling black ribbons and you can see just cut off Audrey's hand. This was felicitous as she was wearing brown suede gloves which in no way went with the costume. She wears suitably wears white gloves in the film.

Last edited:

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
And they improved upon what came out in '93 or was it '94? I was working in Sony Classical at the time and the soundtrack of the film had never been released domestically on cd which was crazy. As if the people who worked there had no idea it should be a catalog item. I was given an are you nuts looks when I said it needed to be released. Buyers were bringing it in as an import which had the Peak art work and duplicated the lp contents. It wasn't until Mr. Harris's restoration that they finally released an extended release cd using that (Beaton?)picture of Hepburn with no ribbons and oddly a mini Rex next to her. This was also used as the film's re-release art work. I gave tickets to the premiere at the Ziegfeld to the manager of one of the HMV stores. When I asked him the next day how it was the thing that most impressed him was that Donald and Marla were there. I thought ok.

The 50th Anniversary artwork fortunately took away mini Rex added the swirling black ribbons and you can see just cut off Audrey's hand. This was felicitous as she was wearing brown suede gloves which in no way went with the costume. She wears suitably wears white gloves in the film.

Is this the photo you are referring to?

1613351847563.png

Reactions: PMF

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
No it is the photo that you see on the cover of the 50th Anniversary box that was used for the films re-release in the 90s. This is the box for home video at the time which if I remember correctly was only vhs. It included Beaton's book on making the film and a splice of 70mm film. Now where did they get that from? Now I am seeing the hand is not cut off but the fingers are noticeably darker.

Attachments

• mfl box.jpg
    mfl box.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
No it is the photo that you see on the cover of the 50th Anniversary box that was used for the films re-release in the 90s.
I think that photo was Photoshopped as I haven't been able to find the actual photo that WB used for the poster and such.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Possibly but it was CBS as Mr Harris noted who came up with that photo as I think Warner Bros no longer owned the film. Now I'm seeing on the box of the 50th anniversary release it has both the CBS and Paramount logos. My this is confusing.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Possibly but it was CBS as Mr Harris noted who came up with that photo as I think Warner Bros no longer owned the film. Now I'm seeing on the box of the 50th anniversary release it has both the CBS and Paramount logos. My this is confusing.
All CBS releases since the split in 2005 were CBS/Paramount branded. It's quite a common occurrence over on the TV side, where CBS inherited all of the Paramount TV library in the split so, say, Cheers had both the CBS and Paramount logos on the boxes even though it was originally a Paramount show.

Though I believe pre-split releases owned by CBS had both logos too, if I recall the original pre-split I Love Lucy boxes correctly. I'd guess since they were corporate sisters, Paramount distributed the CBS titles.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure

CBS obtained the rights in 1971 from WB and have held the rights ever since. CBS/Fox released the VHS and Laserdisc in the 1980's, but somehow for the 30th Anniversary up until the 2004 Special Edition WB got the rights for home video for 10 years. In 2009 CBS who by that point bought Paramount and now owns the complete ownership to the film lock stock and barrel.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
No it is the photo that you see on the cover of the 50th Anniversary box that was used for the films re-release in the 90s. This is the box for home video at the time which if I remember correctly was only vhs. It included Beaton's book on making the film and a splice of 70mm film. Now where did they get that from? Now I am seeing the hand is not cut off but the fingers are noticeably darker.
That release was VHS & Laserdisc. The frames of 70mm were hand cut and selected - no frames of wagon wheels - by my assistant Joanne and her then significant other (later wife) Linda. The 70mm print was final before approved answer print.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
No wagon wheels! I didn't think of that. Can you imagine? I got Audrey and Rex shortly after they returned from the ball. It was quite the deluxe box set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TVonDVDCollector
Recent bookmarks