What's new

My 2 cents worth on “Brothers Grimm” (1 Viewer)

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I bid on it, but it's over $50 at this point and I want to stay married. Hope someone here gets it!

William Moore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William
Since I already will be getting a copy this next week, I think I'll drop out of the bidding. I'm guessing by then the bids will have exceeded what I paid for mine, and maybe I'll have the "bargain" copy after all. Good luck guys!

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
While i was on Ebay i did a search on the Beatles Let It Be on laserdisc and two sellers have it for over $200!
With it being a DiscoVision title, it's probably rotted anyway. The latest scuttlebutt from "insiders" is that Let It Be is being prepped for 2020, but we've heard similar rumors before that haven't come to pass.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I bid on it, but it's over $50 at this point and I want to stay married. Hope someone here gets it!

Bid with only 5 seconds left to get the lowest price. If it doesn't look any better than the TCM broadcast, save your money and don't bid.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Bid with only 5 seconds left to get the lowest price. If it doesn't look any better than the TCM broadcast, save your money and don't bid.
It sounds like it used the same transfer as the TCM showing, which at least means it looks a lot better than the older, US laserdisc. Considering there isn't really a good capture of the TCM showing "accessible" online, it's probably the best one can hope for, given that it doesn't look like it will ever get a proper restoration.

williammoore

Agent
Real Name
William Moore
I am getting ready to experiment with the masking (black fleece) being put up over my screen to cover up the subtitles. I plan on pausing a scene from my Grimm Brothers LD and then measuring down from the bottom of the picture to an "unknown" point below the picture, since I don't know how much screen space the subtitles will take up. Any suggestions?

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
TCM broadcast on top, laser disc on bottom. To see more screen shots. go to the bottom of this page on my web site. Forget about the PQ - these were copied from VHS to DVD many years ago.

wwotbgtcm1.jpg

wwotbglaser1.jpg

William Moore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William
Roland: What can I do with these, or are you just showing me a good "frame" to measure by? Also, the Japanese version arrived today. Haven't played it yet, but maybe I should watch a bit just to see how distracting those subtitles will be?

William Moore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William
Well, that LD of "Brothers Grimm" just sold on Ebay for $138 and change, so almost what I paid for mine. As I anticipated, there was a "mad rush" of bidding during the last few moments. Hoping to play my copy tomorrow. No time tonight. BTW, there is a Turner logo on the jacket, so I'm sure it's the same version that is shown periodically on TCM, but I have to wonder why this version wasn't released in the US. Has anyone recorded the Turner broadcast on DVR?

Dee Zee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
I have a US Grimm laserdisc, played once and transferred to VHS tape back in 90s. Boy was that a narrow picture on tape. Maybe I should put it on eBay.

William Moore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William
The US LD version isn't worth anything, or very much anyway, since it was a poorly done transfer from 35mm film. But why would you transfer it to VHS, an inferior medium to LD?

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Again, William, you don't know what the Japanese disc is and if it's the same as the TCM then it's the same color and it IS from 35mm.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Roland: What can I do with these, or are you just showing me a good "frame" to measure by? Also, the Japanese version arrived today. Haven't played it yet, but maybe I should watch a bit just to see how distracting those subtitles will be?

Just showing the extra picture info on the sides on the Japanese compared to the US and other differences. What is odd is that the extra picture info on the sides in only in the prologue and opening credits. After that, they look about the same. If they are both from 35mm, why would they have two different versions?

William Moore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William
Just had a look at side one of the Japanese "Brothers Grimm" and I must say I was somewhat disappointed with the video quality. I think the color is a little better on this version but that's about it so far. I was hoping for a little more clarity in the image when compared to the US version. Right after the opening MGM promo there was a Turner logo, so guess this version is from Turner. The blend lines look OK, but I noticed that the Opening Overture sounded a little muffled, especially when compared to the remastered Soundtrack CD, which is superb. I really didn't find the subtitles too distracting, but still plan on covering them up. Guess I will be still "pining away" for a restoration; however, I had a thought and that is why couldn't a "Go Fund Me" page be started to raise money to help pay for the restoration? Don't know what is involved but might be worth a try.

William Moore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William
Just showing the extra picture info on the sides on the Japanese compared to the US and other differences. What is odd is that the extra picture info on the sides in only in the prologue and opening credits. After that, they look about the same. If they are both from 35mm, why would they have two different versions?
Quite possibly the Japanese LD, which was made by Pioneer apparently, was indeed taken from that 65mm interpositive, but of course that doesn't explain why the extra side info was only contained in the prologue.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Quite possibly the Japanese LD, which was made by Pioneer apparently, was indeed taken from that 65mm interpositive, but of course that doesn't explain why the extra side info was only contained in the prologue.

And opening credits. The US laser disc pans side-to-side some of it, while the Japanese does not have to with the wider aspect ratio.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Where is this coming from about a 65mm interpolative on this film? Cite the source, show some proof - because as far as I know no one has ever seen such a thing. But I knew my memory would not fail me and that there was already a thread about this where all this was debunked and I found it right here at the HTF. A very knowledgeable poster NY2LA said: Set your DVR next time it airs on TCM and watch for the projector changeover cues in the upper right hand corner. You will see that the changeover cue is an oval shape, indicating an anamorphic print. as in 35mm anamorphic. Way back when this transfer was done for home video it was unheard of to master from anything bigger than 35mm.

And then read the entire page from this thread and maybe we can knock this off. Hope I'm linking correctly, if not it's on page four. https://www.hometheaterforum.com/co...-will-it-ever-make-it-to-bluray.284850/page-4

Okay, having read further, Roland says the 65mm information comes from Strohmaier. I've e-mailed him to see if that's accurate and will report back.

EDIT: Heard back - I've asked if he's okay with me sharing the e-mail, but in the meantime the bottom line is: He's not sure. In other words, there is still, after all these years, no actual proof that a 65mm interpositive or any 65mm element exists for this film.

Last edited:

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
And opening credits. The US laser disc pans side-to-side some of it, while the Japanese does not have to with the wider aspect ratio.
Hi Roland,
Did you know Grand Prix is screening in Digital at the Cinerama Dome and in Bradford on the Cinerama screen in October.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks