1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

My 2 cents worth on "Brothers Grimm"

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by William Moore, Jul 28, 2018.

1. haineshisway

haineshisway Producer

Bruce
    I was hoping friend Dave would finally chime in because he is where I got my information and I knew he had it right. I doubt Warners will give anything to him to do, which is a shame in a way, but the budget if he did would still be substantial. But I have learned with Warners that you can't second guess anything.

PMF, Darby67 and ahollis like this.
  2. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Thank you so much, David, for that intricate and illuminating survey on the elements available and the difficulty in potentially dealing with them should the powers-that-be give it a go. Sounds daunting but not impossible and gives us fans of the film some small reason to hope something might be done with the film at some future date (though I might not be alive to see it happen).

Ed Lachmann and Darby67 like this.
  3. warnerbro

warnerbro Supporting Actor

Darrell
    I remember seeing this in a theatre as a boy in the 70s. It was a reissue and I can remember it was badly faded then with a pinkish brownish look. Since the negatives are water-damaged, maybe they could find some kind of print still in existence and do their best on it -- please just preserve it for future generations and let us have a decent HD version.

Darby67 likes this.
  4. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    A number of years ago, I came upon a number of dye transfer rolls in an LA vault, possibly sitting around to be used as fill.

nara, PMF and Darby67 like this.
  5. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille

6. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Cinematographer
    Supporter

I've given up on ever seeing Grimm in anything higher quality than the laserdisc. TCM has aired a transfer that, from what I understand, is marginally better than the LD, but any captures I've seen of it were compressed so badly that it wasn't worth watching. I finally bought a copy of the LD last year so that I could finally see it. It's certainly not a great film. There are some really nice moments and I'll watch George Pal animation or Russ Tamblyn dance any day, but I can see why saving it isn't a high priority for WB. That doesn't mean that I wouldn't purchase a BD of it day one, should a miracle occur and a digital restoration take place. My kids roll their eyes at me when I watch the Cinerama docs or HTWWW, but I don't care. Seeing Cinerama for myself back in the 90's, even with scratchy, sometimes badly-faded prints, was a shock to the system and made me a fan for life. People who think that modern, faux-Imax is the height of cinematic experience have no idea how wrong they are.

7. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
    The Japanese laser disc is the same as the TCM broadcast. The other laser disc is missing the picture for the prologue, missing picture info on the sides, overture and intermission music.

Brian Kidd and Darby67 like this.
  8. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

I'm not understanding--was this filmed in separate versions like "Oklahoma?" Is there a regular 35mm version

Darby67 likes this.
  9. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Not a separately filmed version, but a 35mm print from the large format elements for use in regular theaters after the roadshow Cinerama engagements ended.

Darby67 likes this.
  10. DP 70

DP 70 Screenwriter

Derek
    I have seen a 35mm print and none of the panels matched it looked really bad plus it only a mono optical track.
    Check out the original DVD:(

11. DP 70

DP 70 Screenwriter

Derek
    Sorry i got my Cinerama films mixed the above post is about How the West Was Won.

it must be the heat:)

12. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I knew you must have because there was no DVD release for The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm.

13. bestactor

bestactor Agent

TJK
    As a kid WWOTBG and HTWWW were extremely dear to me and I relived them in the soundtrack LPs. I loved them both so much I would "marry" them. WWOTBG has such an international flavor with locations and an incredible cast of great character actors. I sure wanted a father like Laurence Harvey! I saw it a number of times when MGM ran the family classic movies in weekend theater matinee showings. I know the cost of restoring is considerable, but I think there is much worth while in bringing it back to more of what it was. The TCM print is at least the complete original road show version, as far as I can tell.

Darby67 likes this.
  14. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
    More info on Cinerama and Grimm

nara and Darby67 like this.
  15. William Moore

William Moore Stunt Coordinator

William
    David: If anyone can restore this film, you can! Your restorations of all the other Cinerama releases were, without question, absolutely astounding. Anything would be an improvement over the laserdisc release, which I have, sans the opening scenes with Oscar Homolka. So is a lack of funds the big issue here? What if we mounted a letter-writing campaign to WB. Just tell us what we can do! Thanks and good luck if you should decide to proceed with this project. We're ALL here for you!

Darby67 likes this.
  16. William Moore

William
    I agree completely. Lawrence Harvey was wonderful and Karl Boehm was as well!

Ed Lachmann and Darby67 like this.
  17. William Moore

William
    Boy, do these ads bring back memories! I was working for the Uptown at the time during my senior year in high school. Some of the best years of my life and I considered it a great privilege to have worked at the Uptown Cinerama!

Darby67 likes this.
  18. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Second Unit

Tom
    I saw this film as kid in 1962, probably twice. Cinerama was immersive. And I saw How the West as well. Loved them both back then. I most def would buy a restored Blu-ray. However I did buy the laserdisc back in the early 90s and the film did not play as well as I remembered. How the West on the other hand I still love despite its dated nature.

But again I would shell out for a restored version.

Darby67 likes this.
  19. cinemiracle

cinemiracle Screenwriter

Peter
    I saw the cinerama version several times and we also screened the 35mm version where I worked. Did't look good in cinemascope after seeing it in cinerama.

20. cinemiracle

cinemiracle Screenwriter

Peter
    Was released on video however.